Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The team has lost a GREAT leader!

Default The team has lost a GREAT leader!

The loss of Tony Gonzales has really left me upset. Tony brought great leadership to the team. He provided a superior role model to the young players for what an NFL player should be. He was a leader on the field and off. Tony was a specimen of the perfect athlete even at his age. He was the epitome of "Shut up and play."

That said, I am really disappointed in Tony's strong desire to bail out of KC. I can understand the desire to win a Superbowl. We as fans stuck by Tony's side through thick and thin and he reciprocated until this last year. I found it surprising that he left in the midst of what many consider to be a new and exciting era in KC. I partly blame Carl Peterson, Herm Edwards and Clark Hunt in souring Tony's desire to stick around. I think if Hunt had pulled the trigger a year sooner, Tony would have probably stayed. I think the damage Herm has caused this team will be felt for some time.

Maybe with time I'll feel better about this whole thing. But right now, I feel betrayed and a little pissed at Tony. Seems like he just didn't want to work for it anymore. Seems as if he's taking the easy way out. I don't think it would be quite as fulfilling to hop on another team's bandwagon to a Bowl appearance. But then again, I have no personal experience in the NFL. :) I guess I always had this romantic view of Tony playing through thick and thin until he retired and not taking the short cut way to a Bowl Ring.

I hope he goes into the Hall as a Chief. But if he were to win a Superbowl as a Falcon(I don't see it happening), I'm not so sure he would. Seems as if the last year has left him quite bitter towards the organization.

Finally, we trade away without a doubt THE best TE in the league for a 2nd round pick in NEXT YEARS draft? I would have rather seen a 3rd and a 4th in THIS years draft instead. I'm not understanding the logic there. I know we're not going to turn around the team in one season, but I would have liked to have reaped the benefits this season.

Off of TG now. I think Brian Waters is next to go. It's pretty obvious that if you want out, they'll let you. I think LJ would be gone if not for that joke of a contract and his attitude. I still can't believe LJ stays and we lose Tony. Sucks! I still hope Charles shows him up in camp and wins the starting job. That would be awesome.

Well, I hope I didn't piss too many people off. Just expressing how I feel about the situation. Looking forward to this season!

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

I wish TG well, and am sorry to lose his skills. But truth be told I think his going to the Falcons says a lot about how much he cared about being a Chief. I don't really feel the Falcons have all that more chance of going to the Super Bowl in the next 3 years than we do.

Bye Tony. But if in the next 3 years you don't make it to the big one and we do, well then, you'll have no one to blame but yourself.

Default Tony .. Goodbye and Good Luck

Tony was GREAT TE for KC Chiefs.

An Hall of Famer for the NFL

But ..

How much will really Tony will miss the Chiefs and How much the Chiefs will miss Tony.

Ok ... here's some toughts I got

Matt Cassel was great last year at NE but he got quality WRs .. we only had TG and DB.

Now we only got D.B. !!

Bobby Engram will have something to bring but .. who's Next.

Cassel wont any great WR after DB.

So I hope that we can get some help here if not we are screw !

I hear that GM will work to brought back our 2nd round for this year.

But how much impact will have any pick as soon as posible.

I know that many people feels that Tony dosen't wanna be around anymore.

But he was loyal most of his carrer to the Chiefs.

Yes, he got frustraded as much of Us about Herm and Carl's Team.

I won't blame him for trying to get a Ring and is a shame that wont be being a Chief

But Let's face it,we are millions years away to be a good team.

All depends on how the whole team will playnext year to see if there's a progress.

In the other hand Tony may be will have 1 year or 2 to get a ring.

If not I guess he will retire .

But mean while he will give what he gave to us ..

BE THE BEST TE in the NFL.

Will be pretty hard and will add extra pressure If Tony gets his chance at SB.

And Our beloved Chiefs .. doesn't show any upgrade.

That will prove that Tony knew something that we don't.

I know that our Chiefs someday will be a GREAT TEAM again.

Meanwhile ... I guess I will have to make my mind to see depart some GREAT PLAYERS from OUR TEAM !

Tony ... THANKS for the GREAT MEMORIES
    Good Luck and IMO I wish you to get Your SB RING !
    You deserv it !

It's Sadly that you won't get it as a Chief but for me there wont be any othet 88 like YOU !

Life goes on. I appreciate what Tony did for the Chiefs over the years, but one can't get too sentimental about it. I'm sure everybody recalls the negative reactions in Green Bay after they decided to go with Rodgers instead of having Favre retire as a Packer, but him going to NY didn't even get the Jets into the playoffs. Just by being the all time best at a certain position doesn't guarantee you any success. I don't want to give Gonzalez the good luck in Atlanta speech, because I hope they don't win the SB in the first place. I wish him all the best health wise, because I hate to see anybody go down, but that's about it. Just my personal opinion on things, since I hate every other team besides the Chiefs. I hope we turn this pick next year into something great.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsfreak4life View Post
    Surely you don't mean LJ?? He will never be a leader. We have brought in other leaders in this off season in Vrabel, Thomas, Engram and Cassel. That made Tony expendable in the "leadership" role. I hate the trade, and am pissed my favorite Chief of all time is now a Falcon. But unfortunately this is a business and Pioli is a businessman, brought to KC to make this team better. We shall see how this plays out in the future.

Lord no not LJ ..

He lead in paychecks and stats. Team Leader..nah. It was all about him and has been in the past. As posted above, he has done some whining along the way, which included his threats to quit football for basketball, etc etc.. and the Hunt's paid him to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    He lead in paychecks and stats. Team Leader..nah. It was all about him and has been in the past. As posted above, he has done some whining along the way, which included his threats to quit football for basketball, etc etc.. and the Hunt's paid him to stay.
    Dude, just quite being negtive about Tony. He is a leader, he shows leadership by work ethic.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

This is the reason why the Chiefs haven't won a playoff game since I was in elementary school! The Chiefs AND our fans are so used to the bull crap like "personal relationships" and "class acts".

That's all bull, if you want to have the kindest, nicest, and coolest team, then I suggest cheering for another sport. I've said it before, this game is a business, and there is nothing to achieve by going for crap like "class acts".

You get the right players for your system and you go out and win, even if you don't like the players, or if the players you do like end up leaving, then that's too bad. This is how NFL franchises operate, and you should probably get used to it.

As for Tony himself, I don't believe he was as big of "class act" as people make him out to be, I think he was just like that in front of the cameras, but that's another story. He's the best TE ever to play the game and that won't change. The reason he's gone is because HE'S OLD! He's no where near the level he once was and he'll only be going down further.

Now, I'm not referring to anyone in these forums about what I've said, I've just been getting sick and tired of all the crap I've been hearing on the radios and whatever about how we just lost the god of KC. I really feel sorry for Cottam, he'll get ran out of town the instant he drops a pass, which is a shame because I think he has very good abilities from the time I've seen him playing.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

three 7's did you read my post? I agree with you. Great player yes class act....not so sure. He IMO thought of himself as better then everyone else and that doesnt win championships.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    three 7's did you read my post? I agree with you. Great player yes class act....not so sure. He IMO thought of himself as better then everyone else and that doesnt win championships.
    I think you're analysis is a bit off. Michael Jordan thought of himself as better than everybody, he competed even against his teammates. I think you have to have that sort of mentality to be a top tier athlete. Most athletes will know they are better than any given athlete before anybody else knows it. It all comes down to how that athlete uses the mentality, a lot of teams it can lead to selfishness and arrogance on and off the field (LJ). I think TG thinks he is the best TE and maybe even the best player on the field every time he takes it, but I don't think his head is inflated because of it (or at least it doesn't show). If he does feel that he is better everybody, he is acting in a respectable manner. He takes players under his wing and he lets his game talk more than his mouth.

Thanks Aussie!

I love how many " Tony is a whiner " posters there are. I love how many " he isnt a leader, he left his team " posts there are.

Gonzo has given his entire career to the chiefs. What have the chiefs given to Gonzo. The last several years, the chiefs have failed to build a dynamic offense around Gonzo. Yes, the chiefs failed TG and you guys blame him for wanting to leave? Herm Edwards ripped this team apart. TG played just as hard as he always plays.

Gonzo deserves much respect for the composure he showed. With a team declining every year, he stayed at the top of his game. He didnt pull a randy moss and quit running proper routs because he was unhappy. Gonzo voiced his unhappiness, like he should have, and then he performs.

I for one, will be watching the Falcons and cheering. I believe Tony G deserves his ring. I believe we as chief fans should be behind him all the way, because the chiefs have failed him. The guy has maybe 5 years left in him. Let him have a chance to win, unlike greats like Barry Sanders.

Do we really want Gonzo to be on the list of greatest players with out a super bowl ring? if he stays a chief for the next 5 years, thats what will happen.
    -tony d

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast