Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The team has lost a GREAT leader!

Default The team has lost a GREAT leader!

The loss of Tony Gonzales has really left me upset. Tony brought great leadership to the team. He provided a superior role model to the young players for what an NFL player should be. He was a leader on the field and off. Tony was a specimen of the perfect athlete even at his age. He was the epitome of "Shut up and play."

That said, I am really disappointed in Tony's strong desire to bail out of KC. I can understand the desire to win a Superbowl. We as fans stuck by Tony's side through thick and thin and he reciprocated until this last year. I found it surprising that he left in the midst of what many consider to be a new and exciting era in KC. I partly blame Carl Peterson, Herm Edwards and Clark Hunt in souring Tony's desire to stick around. I think if Hunt had pulled the trigger a year sooner, Tony would have probably stayed. I think the damage Herm has caused this team will be felt for some time.

Maybe with time I'll feel better about this whole thing. But right now, I feel betrayed and a little pissed at Tony. Seems like he just didn't want to work for it anymore. Seems as if he's taking the easy way out. I don't think it would be quite as fulfilling to hop on another team's bandwagon to a Bowl appearance. But then again, I have no personal experience in the NFL. :) I guess I always had this romantic view of Tony playing through thick and thin until he retired and not taking the short cut way to a Bowl Ring.

I hope he goes into the Hall as a Chief. But if he were to win a Superbowl as a Falcon(I don't see it happening), I'm not so sure he would. Seems as if the last year has left him quite bitter towards the organization.

Finally, we trade away without a doubt THE best TE in the league for a 2nd round pick in NEXT YEARS draft? I would have rather seen a 3rd and a 4th in THIS years draft instead. I'm not understanding the logic there. I know we're not going to turn around the team in one season, but I would have liked to have reaped the benefits this season.

Off of TG now. I think Brian Waters is next to go. It's pretty obvious that if you want out, they'll let you. I think LJ would be gone if not for that joke of a contract and his attitude. I still can't believe LJ stays and we lose Tony. Sucks! I still hope Charles shows him up in camp and wins the starting job. That would be awesome.

Well, I hope I didn't piss too many people off. Just expressing how I feel about the situation. Looking forward to this season!

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

God this is making me sick.

Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez shouldn't be causing Kansas City Chiefs fans to argue with each other.

He's the greatest tight end in NFL history. He achieved that status as a Chief. He is one of the greatest Chiefs players of all time. He did a lot for the city and the team.

also...

He is a football player. He plays for money, not for free. He left. He's gone. No longer a Chief and will never be a Chief again.

That's the reality. It sucks, but it's done. Our tight end is Brad Cottam. We have to move on now.

Like I said i love TG and wish him the best, but I just don't believe that his "leadership" on the field or off will be a huge factor with him gone. GL TG but ATL, im sorry you'd been just as close to a SB in KC.

Quote Originally Posted by dorsetttb View Post
    I love how many " Tony is a whiner " posters there are. I love how many " he isnt a leader, he left his team " posts there are.

Gonzo has given his entire career to the chiefs. What have the chiefs given to Gonzo. The last several years, the chiefs have failed to build a dynamic offense around Gonzo. Yes, the chiefs failed TG and you guys blame him for wanting to leave? Herm Edwards ripped this team apart. TG played just as hard as he always plays.

Gonzo deserves much respect for the composure he showed. With a team declining every year, he stayed at the top of his game. He didnt pull a randy moss and quit running proper routs because he was unhappy. Gonzo voiced his unhappiness, like he should have, and then he performs.

I for one, will be watching the Falcons and cheering. I believe Tony G deserves his ring. I believe we as chief fans should be behind him all the way, because the chiefs have failed him. The guy has maybe 5 years left in him. Let him have a chance to win, unlike greats like Barry Sanders.

Do we really want Gonzo to be on the list of greatest players with out a super bowl ring? if he stays a chief for the next 5 years, thats what will happen.
    Oh boy, yes the Chiefs failed him BIG time! That's why form 02-06, we put up some of the strongest offenses in NFL history, right? Yep, we didn't build a good offense around him AT ALL!

Do you really think if the Chiefs were perennial losers like the Lions, that TG would've stayed as long as he did? Think again. I know he plays hard, he plays hard because he has a rep to maintain, and well why not? Gotta make the cash somehow.

I agree that he deserves a shot, but I sure won't be rooting for him because he's TG. I'm a football fan and if the Chiefs aren't in the game, then I want the better team to win, if that team has TG on it, then so be it.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dorsetttb View Post
    I love how many " Tony is a whiner " posters there are. I love how many " he isnt a leader, he left his team " posts there are.

Gonzo has given his entire career to the chiefs. What have the chiefs given to Gonzo. The last several years, the chiefs have failed to build a dynamic offense around Gonzo. Yes, the chiefs failed TG and you guys blame him for wanting to leave? Herm Edwards ripped this team apart. TG played just as hard as he always plays.

Gonzo deserves much respect for the composure he showed. With a team declining every year, he stayed at the top of his game. He didnt pull a randy moss and quit running proper routs because he was unhappy. Gonzo voiced his unhappiness, like he should have, and then he performs.

I for one, will be watching the Falcons and cheering. I believe Tony G deserves his ring. I believe we as chief fans should be behind him all the way, because the chiefs have failed him. The guy has maybe 5 years left in him. Let him have a chance to win, unlike greats like Barry Sanders.

Do we really want Gonzo to be on the list of greatest players with out a super bowl ring? if he stays a chief for the next 5 years, thats what will happen.
    What about the fans? Why don't we deserve anything? this is a team sport and you are gonna post that the Chiefs failed Tony? I was a fan long before Tony G and I will be a fan long after Tony G but I don't owe that guy a thing. I paid for tickets, jerseys, hats and beer at $7 a glass at the stadium. Where is my championship? Stop crying that Tony is geting treated unfairly. We the fans have been treated unfairly and we are still here. tony is not so he does not deserve to be called a Team leader.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123