Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The team has lost a GREAT leader!

Default The team has lost a GREAT leader!

The loss of Tony Gonzales has really left me upset. Tony brought great leadership to the team. He provided a superior role model to the young players for what an NFL player should be. He was a leader on the field and off. Tony was a specimen of the perfect athlete even at his age. He was the epitome of "Shut up and play."

That said, I am really disappointed in Tony's strong desire to bail out of KC. I can understand the desire to win a Superbowl. We as fans stuck by Tony's side through thick and thin and he reciprocated until this last year. I found it surprising that he left in the midst of what many consider to be a new and exciting era in KC. I partly blame Carl Peterson, Herm Edwards and Clark Hunt in souring Tony's desire to stick around. I think if Hunt had pulled the trigger a year sooner, Tony would have probably stayed. I think the damage Herm has caused this team will be felt for some time.

Maybe with time I'll feel better about this whole thing. But right now, I feel betrayed and a little pissed at Tony. Seems like he just didn't want to work for it anymore. Seems as if he's taking the easy way out. I don't think it would be quite as fulfilling to hop on another team's bandwagon to a Bowl appearance. But then again, I have no personal experience in the NFL. :) I guess I always had this romantic view of Tony playing through thick and thin until he retired and not taking the short cut way to a Bowl Ring.

I hope he goes into the Hall as a Chief. But if he were to win a Superbowl as a Falcon(I don't see it happening), I'm not so sure he would. Seems as if the last year has left him quite bitter towards the organization.

Finally, we trade away without a doubt THE best TE in the league for a 2nd round pick in NEXT YEARS draft? I would have rather seen a 3rd and a 4th in THIS years draft instead. I'm not understanding the logic there. I know we're not going to turn around the team in one season, but I would have liked to have reaped the benefits this season.

Off of TG now. I think Brian Waters is next to go. It's pretty obvious that if you want out, they'll let you. I think LJ would be gone if not for that joke of a contract and his attitude. I still can't believe LJ stays and we lose Tony. Sucks! I still hope Charles shows him up in camp and wins the starting job. That would be awesome.

Well, I hope I didn't piss too many people off. Just expressing how I feel about the situation. Looking forward to this season!

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    Well, I hope I didn't piss too many people off. Just expressing how I feel about the situation. Looking forward to this season!
    No Greg, I don't think you did, while some might disagree, I would say that everyone has a feeling of disappointment today, and we all kinda feel like we have just been dumped. Life goes on though brother, and maybe Cottam will seize the moment and transform into a star for us...

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    The loss of Tony Gonzales has really left me upset. Tony brought great leadership to the team. He provided a superior role model to the young players for what an NFL player should be. He was a leader on the field and off. Tony was a specimen of the perfect athlete even at his age. He was the epitome of "Shut up and play."

That said, I am really disappointed in Tony's strong desire to bail out of KC. I can understand the desire to win a Superbowl. We as fans stuck by Tony's side through thick and thin and he reciprocated until this last year. I found it surprising that he left in the midst of what many consider to be a new and exciting era in KC. I partly blame Carl Peterson, Herm Edwards and Clark Hunt in souring Tony's desire to stick around. I think if Hunt had pulled the trigger a year sooner, Tony would have probably stayed. I think the damage Herm has caused this team will be felt for some time.

Maybe with time I'll feel better about this whole thing. But right now, I feel betrayed and a little pissed at Tony. Seems like he just didn't want to work for it anymore. Seems as if he's taking the easy way out. I don't think it would be quite as fulfilling to hop on another team's bandwagon to a Bowl appearance. But then again, I have no personal experience in the NFL. :) I guess I always had this romantic view of Tony playing through thick and thin until he retired and not taking the short cut way to a Bowl Ring.

I hope he goes into the Hall as a Chief. But if he were to win a Superbowl as a Falcon(I don't see it happening), I'm not so sure he would. Seems as if the last year has left him quite bitter towards the organization.

Finally, we trade away without a doubt THE best TE in the league for a 2nd round pick in NEXT YEARS draft? I would have rather seen a 3rd and a 4th in THIS years draft instead. I'm not understanding the logic there. I know we're not going to turn around the team in one season, but I would have liked to have reaped the benefits this season.

Off of TG now. I think Brian Waters is next to go. It's pretty obvious that if you want out, they'll let you. I think LJ would be gone if not for that joke of a contract and his attitude. I still can't believe LJ stays and we lose Tony. Sucks! I still hope Charles shows him up in camp and wins the starting job. That would be awesome.

Dude, you didn't piss me off, I just posted something very similar in another thread. This guy is a whiner, he toes that line between being a whiner and being productive artfully, but he is a whiner and has been for a long time.

I remember a few years ago, before Vermiel, when Gonzo pulled a similar stunt, yes he was talked into staying, but each time he came up for free agency, he made noise about wanting to go somewhere that could win. Well good luck to the previous Chiefs player that will remain unamed.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

yes we lost a great leader..or was he.. someone complaining and wanting out can't be that great a leader. TG was one of the few people that would never give KC fans any attention when they were at the SD games before or after the games.
    Yes i am mad to see him go esp for a '10 pick but there is nothing we can do.
    I believe johnson, vrabel etc... hopefully cassell will turn into a leader as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    yes we lost a great leader..or was he.. someone complaining and wanting out can't be that great a leader. TG was one of the few people that would never give KC fans any attention when they were at the SD games before or after the games.
    Yes i am mad to see him go esp for a '10 pick but there is nothing we can do.
    I believe johnson, vrabel etc... hopefully cassell will turn into a leader as well.
    Surely you don't mean LJ?? He will never be a leader. We have brought in other leaders in this off season in Vrabel, Thomas, Engram and Cassel. That made Tony expendable in the "leadership" role. I hate the trade, and am pissed my favorite Chief of all time is now a Falcon. But unfortunately this is a business and Pioli is a businessman, brought to KC to make this team better. We shall see how this plays out in the future.
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?u=2574&type=sigpic&dateline=1233413652

I agree that Tony will be missed- but not for his leadership.... as someone else already posted, true leaders do not wine and beg to leave the only franchise they've known. True leaders stick it out and lead to new heights. I think Waters is next to go. Hopefully Paoli and Haley find good players that want to be Chiefs and can slowly eliminate those who don't believe. I love Gonzo- the greatest TE and one of the greatest Chiefs ever, but it was time to move on.

Amen Greg. I think that is how 99% of Chiefs fans feel.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

I don't know about leader but I know we lost a great player.

How many great leaders leave their men/group/team when they need them most?

IM not mad just really shocked kinda hard not seeing 88 on the field anymore for the chiefs. BUT as a true fan I have to believe that Pioli and Haley know exactly what is going on. Seriously if we had another bad season then TG would want out AGAIN then after not ebing happy and being a year older we couldnt get a 2nd rounder. I think Pioli is realizing that the chiefs are going to improve but not be SB contedners at least for a few more years so why not get the best thing possible now ? Like i said we keep TG this season and then no way we get a second next year. I think it sucks but is a smart move

If I weren't a man, I would cry.

I think this song probably show the emotions we all might feel.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZQByvTKYkI"]YouTube - Saving Abel - Goodbye[/ame]
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast