Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyson Jackson

Question Tyson Jackson

I was just looking at all the mock drafts today, and nearly everyone has the LSU DE Tyson Jackson being the Chiefs pick.

My question is, how the heck did this guy rise so fast, and where did everyone get this information that the Chiefs are probably going to pick him? Its just strange, because 2 days ago nearly everyone had Curry on the board for the Chiefs.

I wouldn't have minded us taking Crabtree.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I wouldn't have minded us taking Crabtree.
    I wanted Monroe, I think him playing with Albert would've been nice to see, seeing as they played together at Virginia. I guess it's fine, though.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    I wanted Monroe, I think him playing with Albert would've been nice to see, seeing as they played together at Virginia. I guess it's fine, though.
    Well instead of a pair of Virginia OL-men, we now have a pair of LSU DL-men. Lets hope the latter will work better together.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    I'm taking a wait and see approach to this pick, I am confident that Pioli is a good evaluator of talent. And I for one, am happy we didn't take Curry, he's a little overated IMO.
    I have to agree with u on the wait and see issue as far as being overrated, I don't think he was, I just don't think he fit into our new system. It has been said Curry was not very good at pass rushing and that could have been a big reason. Tyson Jackson played with Dorsey and it is also said they worked very well together and that may have also played a part. I'm sure some picks Pioli made in NE had people talking also, but the fact is, he did very well. So like you said, it's just wait and see...

Nobody thought Mario Williams was the right pick at #1 a couple years ago either. I think he was a bit of a reach at #3, but like Pioli said, it takes two to make a deal. Trading down was probably impossible. Which, if you went back and read most of the grounded threads about the draft, the probability of trading down was ALWAYS an extreme pipe dream.

That said, the Chiefs were in a tough spot this year. There just wasn't that ELITE prospect that was a no-brainer pick. Curry might've been nice, but there were probably questions about him going to a 3-4. With the Chiefs passing on Curry, I've gotta believe the Chiefs are going to put Hali at LB. (Where he practiced during the 3-day mimi camp) That's going to be EXTREMELY interesting.

1-Derrick Johnson, OLB

1- Tamba Hali, DE/OLB
    2- Bernard Pollard, S

2- Turk McBride, DE/DT
    3- Tank Tyler, DT/NT

1- Glenn Dorsey, DT
    2- Brandon Flowers, CB
    3- DaJuan Morgan, S
    5- Brandon Carr, CB

1- Tyson Jackson, DE/DT

Nine picks in the first three rounds over the last years (so far), including 4 first rounders. This defense needs to start turning the corner. I think you're starting to see this defense take shape for the long-term... finally. Let's hope Dorsey can find a niche on this team.

DE- Tyson Jackson
    NT- Tank Tyler
    DE- (Turk McBride?)
    3 T- Glenn Dorsey
    OLB-Mike Vrabel/Tamba Hali
    ILB- Zack Thomas
    ILB- Tamba Hali/Mike Vrabel
    OLB- Derrick Johnson
    CB- Brandon Flowers
    CB- Brandon Carr
    S- Bernard Pollard
    S- Jarrad Page/DaJuan Morgan

Wow.

I guess we managed to get that second round pick back after all. We just decided to use the #3 overall pick to draft for the second round.

I don't have any problem with the player. But we definitely wasted that high draft position.

And for a team that was overstocked with 3-4 DE types, I am stunned.

Hali, Boone, Dorsey and Mcbride all meet the profile of a 3-4 DE.

I think the defense will be better anyway. With, or without this guy. So there should be plenty of room for "I told you so"s.

But I do not think that this was the position of need for us.

Also, am I the only one who noticed in this video < Jeffri Chadiha examines the Kansas City Chiefs' first NFL draft under GM Scott Pioli - ESPN > that there is mention of Matt Cassel being highly involved in the office?

Wasn't Brian Waters ignored, and told that there was nothing for the team to talk to him about, when he attempted to be slightly involved?

That just sort of struck me as .... I don't know. But it struck me.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Wow.

I guess we managed to get that second round pick back after all. We just decided to use the #3 overall pick to draft for the second round.

I don't have any problem with the player. But we definitely wasted that high draft position.

And for a team that was overstocked with 3-4 DE types, I am stunned.

I think the defense will be better anyway. With, or without this guy. So there should be plenty of room for "I told you so"s.

But I do not think that this was the position of need for us.

Also, am I the only one who noticed in this video < Jeffri Chadiha examines the Kansas City Chiefs' first NFL draft under GM Scott Pioli - ESPN > that there is mention of Matt Cassel being highly involved in the office?

Wasn't Brian Waters ignored, and told that there was nothing for the team to talk to him about, when he attempted to be slightly involved?

That just sort of struck me as .... I don't know. But it struck me.
    I don't know about overstocked, I actually don't believe the Chiefs had a single 'true' 3-4 End prospect on the roster till they got Jackson.

Boone and McBride don't quite fit the mold. (Boone is going to be 33 this year as well I wouldnt be surprised if he got cut)

Dorsey is still a big question mark.

Hali has potential but would have to pack on some weight so again question mark. Was working with the LBs in voluntary like texaschief said so another question mark.

I like the player, I like the pick, but I do agree that it was a reach at 3; it was high for a 5 tech DE, but the reality of the situation was that the Chiefs we're stuck at 3 and chose to address the need defensively where they needed it the most.

I can't argue with that.

I mocked Monroe personally but I feel like Tyson has tremendous upside so only time will tell if Pioli gambled this one right.

edit: I like it more then Curry, and I know that isn't a popular sentiment
    Last edited by DT14PRIEST; 04-26-2009 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    This was my preferred scenario as well. A dominating O-line........sigh. But hey it's Tyson Jackson so welcome aboard TJ. Hopefully we will be calling him "Sack"son Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    That's really not true.. an ideal 3-4 DE is a 5 technique guy who is at least 6'4" 290 lbs. Only Alfonso Boone sort of meets some of that criteria, and while I actually kind of like Boone, he's 33 years old and on the tail end of his career.

Steelers DEs? 6'5" 298 and 6'5" 285.
    Patriots DEs? 6'5" 300 and 6'6" 310.
    Dolphins DEs? 6'6" 294 and 6'4" 290.

Hali - 6'3" 275.
    McBride - 6'2" 278
    Dorsey - 6'1" 297

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    That's really not true.. an ideal 3-4 DE is a 5 technique guy who is at least 6'4" 290 lbs. Only Alfonso Boone sort of meets some of that criteria, and while I actually kind of like Boone, he's 33 years old and on the tail end of his career.

Steelers DEs? 6'5" 298 and 6'5" 285.
    Patriots DEs? 6'5" 300 and 6'6" 310.
    Dolphins DEs? 6'6" 294 and 6'4" 290.

Hali - 6'3" 275.
    McBride - 6'2" 278
    Dorsey - 6'1" 297
    I would be very shocked if 3 of the 4 of Hali, Boone, McBride, and Edwards are on our team come the start of the season.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast