Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyson Jackson

Question Tyson Jackson

I was just looking at all the mock drafts today, and nearly everyone has the LSU DE Tyson Jackson being the Chiefs pick.

My question is, how the heck did this guy rise so fast, and where did everyone get this information that the Chiefs are probably going to pick him? Its just strange, because 2 days ago nearly everyone had Curry on the board for the Chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    I was just looking at all the mock drafts today, and nearly everyone has the LSU DE Tyson Jackson being the Chiefs pick.

My question is, how the heck did this guy rise so fast, and where did everyone get this information that the Chiefs are probably going to pick him? Its just strange, because 2 days ago nearly everyone had Curry on the board for the Chiefs.
    Because everyone realized that the market is skewed. While most teams would pick Curry at 3 based on talent, they aren't going to pay $10M to $12M a year for a LB that doesn't rush the passer. They can't. A team that ties up a sizable portion of its cap in players like that will be in cap hell and stay at the bottom. And yes, I know 2010 is uncapped, but owners can't plan their strategy based on that.

I'm just not a fan of Jackson that high.. I think the projection manifested from the report that Chiefs management is very high on him, which I think could be BS also because Pioli is as tight lipped as they come. I don't picture him giving away any such indication.

Drafting Jackson 3rd effectively means we took 3-4 DEs in the top 5 two straight years. That makes no sense to me. I like him a lot and think he's a good fit, but 3rd overall? Neither LB or 3-4 DE is a position you want to take in the top 5, but if we're going to take one, why not take the best player in the draft over a guy who is a mid first rounder talent on most boards?

Jackson sure as hell better live up to the Richard Seymour comparison if we draft him at 3.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Jackson sure as hell better live up to the Richard Seymour comparison if we draft him at 3.
    That's like saying Curry better be as good at DT if we draft him at 3.

And its disingenuous to say we've drafted two 3-4 DEs in the past two years. Dorsey is an undersized 4-3 DT, not a 3-4 DE (yet). We may try to convert him, but don't pretend he's something he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Because everyone realized that the market is skewed. While most teams would pick Curry at 3 based on talent, they aren't going to pay $10M to $12M a year for a LB that doesn't rush the passer. They can't. A team that ties up a sizable portion of its cap in players like that will be in cap hell and stay at the bottom. And yes, I know 2010 is uncapped, but owners can't plan their strategy based on that.
    It's only speculation that Curry can't rush the passer( most people thinks he can). Anyway what is the differance of paying all that money to a LB that doesn"t rush the passer or paying a run stuffing DE who is not a pass rusher the same money?
    My problem with Jackson(it might not make any differance) is he had his best year as a sophmore. The last two years have been a lot less productive. Will he be a good pro, probally, but he probally will not be be more than a three to five sack DE in the pro's.
    Almost anyone we pick will help us, we still have alot of holes to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    It's only speculation that Curry can't rush the passer( most people thinks he can). Anyway what is the differance of paying all that money to a LB that doesn"t rush the passer or paying a run stuffing DE who is not a pass rusher the same money?
    My problem with Jackson(it might not make any differance) is he had his best year as a sophmore. The last two years have been a lot less productive. Will he be a good pro, probally, but he probally will not be be more than a three to five sack DE in the pro's.
    Almost anyone we pick will help us, we still have alot of holes to fill.
    What? Most people do not think Curry can rush the passer! Just because fans want it to be so doesn't make it so.

Curry is a prototypical 4-3 MLB who can move to ILB in a 3-4. I think he's immensely talented, but don't pretend he's something he's not.

You draft a 3-4 DE sooner than a MLB/ILB because it is harder to find a 3-4 DE.

What? Most people do not think Curry can rush the passer! Just because fans want it to be so doesn't make it so.

Curry is a prototypical 4-3 MLB who can move to ILB in a 3-4. I think he's immensely talented, but don't pretend he's something he's not.

You draft a 3-4 DE sooner than a MLB/ILB because it is harder to find a 3-4 DE.
    we'll see in a few hours. If everyone thought like you, we'd pick Raji, since 3-4 NT is the hardest position to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    we'll see in a few hours. If everyone thought like you, we'd pick Raji, since 3-4 NT is the hardest position to fill.
    I agree that we should pick Raji! I've been saying it for months. But it seems that Pioli/Haley don't like him as much as I do.

I just hope we trade with the Skins (swap picks and we get Cooley) and move to 13. If Curry doesn't go to us at 3, there is a pretty decent chance he could drop that far.

I don't think that's true... at least based on what I've read a lot. I think untested with potential is a better term. I mean he had 9.5 sacks in college as a guy who was rarely asked to rush the QB. His 45.5 TFL shows that he has the ability to get into the backfield.

I'm bored, so I'll entertain...

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...aron-Curry.php

Strengths:
    Possesses a terrific blend of size and bulk...Exceptional speed, quickness and athleticism...Very physical and tough...Excellent strength and power...Extremely aggressive...Outstanding instincts and awareness...Offers a lot of versatility...Reliable tackler who will deliver the big hit...Really uses his hands well...Does a nice job of taking on and shedding blockers...Superb pass rusher and blitzer...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Will attack and fill against the run...Comfortable in space...Can match up and make plays in coverage...Has a lot of experience...Durable and never missed a game due to injury...Smart...Hard worker...Team leader...Super productive.

Weaknesses:
    Can be too aggressive at times and will overpursue...Not quite as tall as you'd prefer...Pass rush repertoire is limited...Marginal change of direction skills...May have some trouble when it comes to recognition in coverage....Is not particularly fluid when he is forced to flip his hips.
    Aaron Curry - Wake Forest - DraftTracker - ESPN

Has limited experience as a pass rusher. Needs to become more polished in terms of pass rush moves. He does have potential in this area, though. Shows good instincts in timing his blitzes. Explosive enough to turn the corner at the NFL level and shows ideal closing speed. Shows good body control and can recover when gets knocked off balance. Active and extremely strong hands; can rip off of blocks quickly.
    Aaron Curry, 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

I don't see that he has many weaknesses at all except maybe he needs to develop more pass rushing moves, but he wasn't asked to do that much at Wake Forest.
    http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2009acurry.php

Strengths: Elite size and strength ... Solid timed speed in the 4.6 range ... Very solid production over past three seasons ... Great instincts; does not hesitate or second guess the development of the play ... Playmaker who makes clutch tackles on third down and jars the ball loose ... Is a threat to rush the quarterback ... Works through the trash to get to the ball-carrier ... Aggressive ... Rarely misses tackles ... Textbook usage with his hands ... Strong at the point of attack ... Takes sound, consistent angles to the football ... Will take on a block ... Extreme versatility to play 4-3 SAM and 4-3 or 3-4 ILB, but can also occasionally play 3-4 OLB ... Leads by example.
    I think the general consensus is that he wasn't asked to rush the passer in college and is undeveloped in terms of pass rushing moves, but that there is certainly potential.

I agree that we should pick Raji! I've been saying it for months. But it seems that Pioli/Haley don't like him as much as I do.

I just hope we trade with the Skins (swap picks and we get Cooley) and move to 13. If Curry doesn't go to us at 3, there is a pretty decent chance he could drop that far.
    I've been saying all wee, something is in the works as far as trading down and I believe Dorsey goes to Altlanta. Personally I don't like Raji. If we pick up a 2nd, I'd rather grab Ron Brace.
    Curry will be one player if we don't draft him, everyone will wish we had. Most people are saying he is the complete package, even though he hasn't been asked to rush the QB, he will be good at it.
    The hybrid, DE/LB's are the hardest to find. There are quite a few pass rushers, not all can play the run and very few can drop back in coverage. Because the Chiefs gave up almost 6 yds per rushing attempt and were terrible against the pass also, we need to take what is considered to be a can't miss player. IMO and it's my opion that would be Curry.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast