Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Day 2 of the Draft

Default Day 2 of the Draft

What does everyone think we should do with our next pick?

I think Pioli and Haley continue with the philosophies of "defense wins championships" and building from the inside out and we will go NT (Chris Baker, Hampton or Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman), or a LB.

Although I can also see us going with an OT (Jamon Meredith, South Carolina).

I truly believe that Pioli and Haley are building a team to make a run in 2010 and/or 2011.

IMO we really should've chosen Curry. He was there for the taking and he is also voted to have the most successful career. I don't understand why we didn't pick him!! And now the Seahawks have got him and I bet they were just as surprised as I were when he was still available after the #3 overall pick; OURS!!!

I'd like to see us sure up the "O" line.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 04-26-2009 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    IMO we really should've chosen Curry. He was there for the taking and he is also voted to have the most successful career. I don't understand why we didn't pick him!! And now the Seahawks have got him and I bet they were just as surprised as I were when he was still available after the #3 overall pick; OURS!!!
    Sure, but why bother dwelling on it now? While I like Curry a lot, I'm satisfied with Jackson. He's going to do wonders to improve our rush defense, and will take him opposing OTs to free up our pass rushers.

In a way, I feel like Curry will be a better player, but that Jackson improves our defense more. It's kind of disappointing to not get the sexy 255 lb LB who runs a 4.55 and tackles everything in site, but Jackson is our guy.. we should worry about him now.

Pioli's not an idiot, he knows what he's doing. Let's not forget he has a history of making unpopular draft choices that turned out to be great moves... Mayo, Warren, Wilfork. He's not here to get us the players we want, but to build a team that wins football games.
    Last edited by yashi; 04-26-2009 at 12:21 AM.

We need to help our OL on day two and continue to build our defense! We were dead last at getting to the QB, we should try to address that in round 3 with either Michael Johnson or Lawrence Sidbury.

I think the Chiefs should go after Quan Cosby at WR. He's the sleeper pick this year. Not real happy with our first round pick. My gut feeling says he's another Hali(average but not great). I would have preferred Curry, Raji or Orakpo.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    I think the Chiefs should go after Quan Cosby at WR. He's the sleeper pick this year. Not real happy with our first round pick. My gut feeling says he's another Hali(average but not great). I would have preferred Curry, Raji or Orakpo.
    Problem with Cosby is that he's going to be a 27 year old rookie though...

Hali is not dominant against the run and Jackson is. Also Hali can't play 3-4 end.

im pretty excited we get 3rd pick in the 3rd round since there is still talent available. it's like today all over again. i like the TE from mizzou but we probably won't address the TE need since we picked up another this last week.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Problem with Cosby is that he's going to be a 27 year old rookie though...

Hali is not dominant against the run and Jackson is. Also Hali can't play 3-4 end.
    You're missing the point. Hali was touted as the next great thing too. Look how he turned out. Dorsey was touted as the next great thing after Hali. So far he hasn't materialized yet. The buzz on Jackson is mixed amongst various sports writers and some seem to think Jackson should have been a late 1st or early 2nd rounder. I just don't know if he's worth a 3rd overall pick, but only time will tell.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    You're missing the point. Hali was touted as the next great thing too. Look how he turned out. Dorsey was touted as the next great thing after Hali. So far he hasn't materialized yet. The buzz on Jackson is mixed amongst various sports writers and some seem to think Jackson should have been a late 1st or early 2nd rounder. I just don't know if he's worth a 3rd overall pick, but only time will tell.
    Hali was ever the next great thing? Because I specifically remember a lot of analysts and fans being confused by the pick. Most seemed to assume that he was drafted mostly on character. Mel Kiper said something like, "Herm Edwards is going to love this guy's character, a good kid coming from a tough life in Liberia, etc". They didn't even mention his playing ability.

I don't really get the comparison, since while both DEs, one is a 3-4 DE and the other a 4-3 DE. If they have anything in common I would say it's that both could be considered reaches.

I don't know anyone who thinks Jackson should have been a 2nd rounder. The Browns, Packers, Broncos, and Pats all coveted him (3 of which picked in the top 12).. and there was no chance of him slipping past Denver.

He was the best 3-4 DE in the draft, and we desperately needed good 3-4 defensive linemen. There's not much to it.

I was probably the biggest Aaron Curry fan here, but I'm confident that Jackson is going to be the unsexy pick that begins the turnaround for this defense.

Yeah TJ was a consensus 1st round pick. NOONE had him falling to round 2. Add the fact that he is a legit 3-4 end and his value goes to the top 10 of the 1st round. Add to that his value of being able to kick inside as a pass rusher on 3rd down in your nickel and dime packages and he starts looking even better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12