View Poll Results: Grade the Chiefs for the 2009 Draft *Don't forget the 2nd round trade for Cassel/Vrab

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

9 13.43%
  • B

33 49.25%
  • C

17 25.37%
  • D

7 10.45%
  • F

1 1.49%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Chiefs Draft Grade

Default 2009 Chiefs Draft Grade

So what are your thoughts on the 2009 draft. Vote at the top.

*Please keep in mind that the Chiefs spent their 2nd round pick on Matt Cassell and Mike Vrabel when placimg your grades.

I will honestly say that I was not thrilled with the players we drafted. I didn't see any pick that matched up with what most analysts thought the Chiefs would do. I really hope that Scott knows what he is doing.

With all that said, once you lump in the trade of our 2nd round pick for a franchise QB and Mike Vrabel, then I like this draft a lot more.

The Chiefs had to address the defense with their early picks in my opinion. They did that even if wasn't the players that I would have picked.

My overall grade including the Cassell trade(2nd rd): B

I voted C range with just the draft.

But if I were to include Cassel and Vrabel for the 2nd round I'd bump the grade up to C+/B grade.

All speculative and just my initial reactions.

edit: iam looking forward to see whats avalible and what is to come through with UDFA signings
    Last edited by DT14PRIEST; 04-26-2009 at 09:26 PM.

i liked the draft. wasnt an A. I say B-, so B. id give it a 81 or so out of 100...

I liked our first and third round selections, and the cb....all the rest of the picks i didnt really think were that special....a WR, RB ?? O line was addressed too late IMO (in my opinion)

I think we have a lot of trading to do....seeya Tank, Turk, Tamba, maybe Dorsey...man thats a lot of turnaround. we are going to suck again next year.

But i think Pioli got some good defensive players in this years draft. I thought the Tyson Jackson pick was the right choice as much as it hurt to let Curry go. simply put, 3-4 DEs are MUCH harder to find than outside LBs...this made Jacksons value much higher than his overall ability...so Curry was the better player, but this guy will make our defense better than Curry would...if that makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I will honestly say that I was not thrilled with the players we drafted. I didn't see any pick that matched up with what most analysts thought the Chiefs would do. I really hope that Scott knows what he is doing.

With all that said, once you lump in the trade of our 2nd round pick for a franchise QB and Mike Vrabel, then I like this draft a lot more.

The Chiefs had to address the defense with their early picks in my opinion. They did that even if wasn't the players that I would have picked.

You know I voted C, but after reading your post, and thinking about the Cassel/Vrabel trade, I would have to agree and say it would be a B grade instead. I know Tyson Jackson wasn't the "sexy" pick, but he fills a need for a runstopping DE. The D line has several good young players now, I expect Edwards, Boone to be gone. Hopefully Hali can switch to the OLB and rush from the right. I think our LB's will be ok for this year.
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?u=2574&type=sigpic&dateline=1233413652

A if your going to count Cassel and Vrable in. Maybe a B without them. Really you can't grade them till you see the players in action.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

I think you have to consider the Cassel/Vrabel trade. Otherwise we would have had a 2nd round pick(35) that would have landed a major player.

I think one thing this draft showed is the premium that teams are putting on having a quality QB. Cassel is better than Sanchez, Stafford, and Freeman in my opinion. And we got him and Vrabel for a 2nd round pick and likely for less money tham we would have had to pay a 1st round pick.

Our 2nd round pick may have been the pick of the draft.

This years draft held many surprises and KC wasn't without a few for myself and probably the majority of Chief's nation. My initial reaction to day one was 'what the' but as I ponder over what has occurred in the off-season and what may happen I still believe we are continuing on a winning course.

Many within the Chief's fan-base, myself included felt we needed to build from the front lines, however many analysts do not feel this is so and with the off-season turning it's head to the second phase of free-agency perhaps we will go to the O-line from there.

What has happened is our team's depth on D and our transition to 3-4 has been shored up. Could we have dropped back and picked up Jackson, maybe/maybe not. I don't think trades are needed or we have to dump any of our defensive front. Take a look at the Giants and the rotation they use. On the other hand we have some trade value with our d-line as well.

Our youthful team has acquired veteran help in Cassell, Goff, Vrabel/Thomas/Beisel, and Engram. The question seems to be how well they will gel, and are the changes to the roster enough to make up the difference in the close losses we have suffered over the past couple seasons?

I give the team a B- in the draft but bump it up into a solid A with the inclusion of the Patriots Cassell trade as well as our current off-season activities thus far.

*We also have 2 second round picks in a much deeper draft next season.*

OK, why not draft a NT though? I'm guessing that Tank is going to play NT. What happens if he gets hurt? Who is going to step in? They dropped the ball on a NT IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post

I'd say "B" aslo. I can live with Jackson, we had to have someone to stop the run. After the 3rd rd pick, Haley said Dorseywould play DE also. Tells me they didn't like his chances. He also said McBride and Tyler were the NT's. Hali better be able to adjust to being a LB or he's gone.
    Even giving them an OK on 3 and 4, after that every pick that was made, i'd check who was available and there would be OL, DL or LBers that I had on my list going at 5 or 6. A DT from Hampton collage I had on my sleeper list, also on that list and not drafted, Hoyer,QB MSU, 59% completion rate last year, but had 65 passes dropped. There are still some good players out there, available as undrafted free agents.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast