Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 v. 2009

Hybrid View

Default 2008 v. 2009

For those of you not thinking that the Chiefs have improved by leaps and bounds, a quick review (obviously subject to change) of the differences between this year and last year:

Starting QB:
    2008 - Thigpen/Huard/Croyle
    2009 - Cassel

Some of you don't think that the 10-5 Cassel is a better QB than the 1-9 Thigpen. Be prepared to be proven wrong.

Edge: 2009

RBs:
    2008 - LJ/Kolby/Charles/Savage
    2009 - LJ/Kolby/Charles/Williams

Basically the same in personnel - RB is a surprising strength of the team. I think the big difference between 2008 and 2009 will be the level of LJJ effort.

Edge: Even

WRs:
    2008 - Bowe/Bradley/Franklin/Webb
    2009 - Bowe/Engram/Bradley/Copper

Bowe and Bradley are solid WRs, but having a sure handed Engram at 2WR makes this WR corps suddenly the 2nd best in the division.

TE:
    2008 - Gonzalez/Cottam
    2009 - Cottam/Ryan/O'Connell

Our most obvious drop off in talent. Tony G. will be very missed.

Edge: 2008

OL:
    2008 - Albert/Waters/Niswanger/Jones/McIntosh
    2009 - Albert/Waters/Goff/Niswanger/Brown

No question, the 2009 OL is better. I still think were a ways away from "good" though.

DL:
    2008 - Boone/Dorsey/Tank/Hali
    2009 - Dorsey/Tank/Jackson/Magee

Again, no question. The 2009 DL is vastly improved over the 208 version, especially against the run. Most of our sacks will come from our OLBs, as we're going to primarily be running a 3-4.

LB:
    2008 - DJ/Pat Thomas/Williams/Donnie
    2009 - DJ/Zach Thomas/Williams/Vrabel

Big edge to 2009. Vrabel and Zach Thomas are a bit past their primes. But they're immeidate upgrades over what we had. Not to mention that Beisel's a far better reserve than Boiman.

DBs:
    2008 - Flowers/Carr/Leggett/Page/Pollard
    2009 - Flowers/Carr/Leggett/Washington/Page/Pollard

Not much of a change. Washington will bring some height and speed to our CB corps, but he's too unproven and has to many questions to be considered a major upgrade.

I realy wish we could have found a way to upgrade Page at FS. He's a ballhawk, sure, but he isn't nearly tough enough to play FS in a 3-4.

Edge: Even

PR/KR:
    2008 - Robinson/Charles
    2009 - Lawrence

Lawrence is unproven, sure, but anything is better than another year of Robinson/Charles at PR/KR.

K/P:
    2008 - Barth/Colquitt
    2009 - Barth/Succop/Colquitt

Too early to tell. My gut says we use Succop on kickoffs at least, which should give us some improvement there.

Slight Edge: 2009

HC/OC/DC:
    2008 - Herm/Gailey/Gunther
    2009 - Haley/Gailey/Pendergast

By virture of having an IQ over 50 and not being senile, our 2009 HC and DC defeat our 2008 HC and DC.

Big Edge: 2009

So, except for TE, we're a better team, or at least no worse, pretty much across the board. We were an immensely untalented team in 2008 (I still have no idea how we won that Denver game), and Pioli's doing the best he can to find legitimate starters at most positions.

With this talent and coaching staff, we should be looking at 6-8 wins. Which is pretty good for a young team trying to rebuild.

Thanks for the post. I also think special teams will be vastly improved over last year. I see the biggest improvement to be overall team attitude under our new staff...
    SHUT IT

Good post. We should be much improved.

My biggest question that still remains is where the pass rush will come from. Vrabel is the closest thing we have to a 3-4 pass rusher, and he only had 4 sacks last season. Hopefully Hali can become a good 3rd down pass rusher as an OLB.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Good post. We should be much improved.

My biggest question that still remains is where the pass rush will come from. Vrabel is the closest thing we have to a 3-4 pass rusher, and he only had 4 sacks last season. Hopefully Hali can become a good 3rd down pass rusher as an OLB.
    Its time for DJ to step up.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Its time for DJ to step up.
    Exactly. DJ and Vrabel should be our main sack guys. DJ has the speed and athleticism to be a Joey Porter-type. The questions is whether he'll be able to learn and execute the schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Exactly. DJ and Vrabel should be our main sack guys. DJ has the speed and athleticism to be a Joey Porter-type. The questions is whether he'll be able to learn and execute the schemes.
    Yeah. And now that DJ will finally have a DL in front of him and the fact that we will incorperate a defensive scheme that suits the players we have on the field - I look for no less than 10 sacks out of him this year.
    SHUT IT

wed better hope we have improved this year. 31st defense last year, and 3 different starting qb's.....Tony G made our entire team last year...

theres only one way to go...up!
    DL, OL, LB, TE and S are still some question marks though...

long way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    wed better hope we have improved this year. 31st defense last year, and 3 different starting qb's.....Tony G made our entire team last year...

theres only one way to go...up!
    DL, OL, LB, TE and S are still some question marks though...

long way to go!
    Yep. But at least we know we are finally on our way...
    Thanks Herm for trashing our Chiefs.
    SHUT IT

DJ is going to break out in 2010, I have a strong feeling about it. He'll finally be able to move around with a DL that will tie up some OL. The Jackson pick benefits him more than any other player.

Maybe we'll finally get to see the 1st round talent that we were lucky to have fallen to us in 2005. He's always been good, but now he should be great.
    Last edited by yashi; 04-27-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    DJ is going to break out in 2010, I have a strong feeling about it. He'll finally be able to move around with a DL that will tie up some OL. The Jackson pick benefits him more than any other player.

Maybe we'll finally get to see the 1st round talent that we were lucky to have fallen to us in 2005. He's always been good, but now he should be great.
    You mean 2009, right? Unless you are really optimistic about the Chiefs playoff chances.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast