Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where does Dorsey fit in the 3-4 ?

Default where does Dorsey fit in the 3-4 ?

I think we went a long way in this draft in acquiring talent for the new 3-4 defensive scheme, with both Jackson and Magee being ideal defensive ends. Jackson was without doubt the best true five technique in the draft which is why Pioli nabbed him.

Glenn Dorsey is obviously a gifted tackle and Haley said he sees Dorsey playing outside as an end, probably as a three technique like Magee. I agree and think Dorsey could probably make the switch and have success, then competition between him and Magee would give us depth on the defensive front.

So that leaves the all important nose tackle position to Tank Tyler. God it would be so awesome if he had a breakout year at the nose. I think he really is the only guy on the line with the size and strength to play the position, but the question is whether he is mean enough. I guess we will see when camp starts. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    I would think as a nose tackle , you would have a advantage being shorter and lower.
    Strength, heart and knowing how to use leverage are the main ingediants. Playing with a mean streak doesn't hurt either.

Hali and McBride both played some DT in college, and both played it well.

Either, or both, of them could hit the bench-press and get themselves into excellent 3-4 DE condition.

That's exactly what I saw both of them as when they were drafted.

They were both too slow to play 4-3 DE, and not big enough to play 4-3 DT. But that they would really only fit as a 3-4 DE.

Also, before last season's failed experiment with Hali, he was doing pretty well against the run.

I doubt that the pride of the new regime, much like the last, will allow their picks to get beat-out by those of the previous staff, so Hali is probably SOL.

I imagine he will get a shot at OLB, eventhough ILB would be the only LB spot that I can see him playing, due to lack of speed. But I sure don't see him winning a job that way.

Mcbride will either play LB or be cut, was even overheard at practice saying "if it comes down to it, ill play Linebacker"

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    I see Dorsey, Tank, and Jackson on the D-line with Magee, Boone, and Edwards in relief when needed. And move Magee up to the line in 4/3 formations.
    Bingo, I'm seeing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    I can agree with your logic and there are a couple of smaller around 300# NT around that play pretty well.
    Didn't Darnell Dockett lineup at the NT position during the superbowl. He was blowing people up right and left. He is 285 lbs. I can't remember if he was playing the NT in 3-4 schemes or the DT in 4-3 schemes during the superbowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Didn't Darnell Dockett lineup at the NT position during the superbowl. He was blowing people up right and left. He is 285 lbs. I can't remember if he was playing the NT in 3-4 schemes or the DT in 4-3 schemes during the superbowl.
    If I remember correctly Bryan Robinson was the Cards normal 3-4 NT, he got hurt, and Dockett filled in for the postseason.

While a guy like Dorsey might man the spot well for a couple games, a sixteen game season is something different. I could see him getting wore down as a NT against 300+ lb. OL.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    If I remember correctly Bryan Robinson was the Cards normal 3-4 NT, he got hurt, and Dockett filled in for the postseason.

While a guy like Dorsey might man the spot well for a couple games, a sixteen game season is something different. I could see him getting wore down as a NT against 300+ lb. OL.
    While that may be true, it did give the Cardinals some versatility on the D-line, especially on third down. I noticed by the end of the season, not only in the playoffs, that Dockett would switch to the inside on third and longs. Dockett impressed me last season because he has the speed to just shed and run by block right up the middle, or push the center or guard right into the QB. If you are able to line up a guy like Dockett in the middle, then two other pass rushers, it would make a good pass rush on third down. I mean what puts more pressure on a QB than pushing him right up the middle. I'm not saying that Jackson could fill that role, but it could be interesting how this line develops down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Bingo, I'm seeing the same thing.
    Tyler and Edwards rotating at NT. Dorsey, Jackson and McGee rotating at DE and staying fresh. Boone filling in were needed. Our DL could be really good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12