Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where does Dorsey fit in the 3-4 ?

Default where does Dorsey fit in the 3-4 ?

I think we went a long way in this draft in acquiring talent for the new 3-4 defensive scheme, with both Jackson and Magee being ideal defensive ends. Jackson was without doubt the best true five technique in the draft which is why Pioli nabbed him.

Glenn Dorsey is obviously a gifted tackle and Haley said he sees Dorsey playing outside as an end, probably as a three technique like Magee. I agree and think Dorsey could probably make the switch and have success, then competition between him and Magee would give us depth on the defensive front.

So that leaves the all important nose tackle position to Tank Tyler. God it would be so awesome if he had a breakout year at the nose. I think he really is the only guy on the line with the size and strength to play the position, but the question is whether he is mean enough. I guess we will see when camp starts. Any thoughts?

I agree, I could see Dorsey moving to an end pretty easily, he has the build for it in a 3-4. I think right now, the odd man out if Hali. We could trade him, but I think Hali could potentially move to a linebacker position. If that was the case, with a stronger up front DL, then Hali could turn into that pass rushing LB we are all hoping for. He is not a speedster, but he could do well if he did not have to engage linemen face to face every down.

Anyway, to the original question. I think Dorsey has to move outside now to be able to play for this team. If he does not make that transition, he will be traded to a 4-3 defense team.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Hali is definetly out. I see Dorsey, Tank, and Jackson on the D-line with Magee, Boone, and Edwards in relief when needed. And move Magee up to the line in 4/3 formations.
    SHUT IT

Tank showed nothing last year to prove he could play NT, but hopefully with a season under his belt, an offseason of conditioning, and some good coaching, he can be effective.

I have been a Tank Tyler fan since we picked him up in the third round a couple years back, but I agree he hasn't shown much. Most defensive lineman take a couple of years to transition their game to the professional level, and I am hoping that, along with Dorsey, this could be a breakout year for our young D-line.

Also Hali has to be moved to a hybrid style outside linebacker but the problem is he lacks speed. Hali is probably in the most danger of being sent away, but then who do we have that can play that OLB in the 3-4? I'm sure a lot of us thought we would have Aaron Curry to add flexibility to the linebacker core, but we went in another direction (I'm kind of starting to think it was a good move). Point is, I agree, it's sink or swim for Tamba Hali.

Tank played at 323lbs in college. Dropped down to 306 at the combine and stayed there. Since then hasn't played well. I think him bulking back up will help him out to be a space eater. I think Tank can do it. And Boone will be backup NT since he is a big boy at 306lbs aswell and could probably bulk up.

Quote Originally Posted by fairladyZ View Post
    Tank played at 323lbs in college. Dropped down to 306 at the combine and stayed there. Since then hasn't played well. I think him bulking back up will help him out to be a space eater. I think Tank can do it. And Boone will be backup NT since he is a big boy at 306lbs aswell and could probably bulk up.
    I think Tank will be fine.

I think Boone will be cut. Don't know how much he wants to bulk up considering he's on the back nine of his career after turning 33 this year.

I do not get this, I want a 325 plus fat guy to stop a blocker in his tracks but is slow, or do I want a more stronger and quicker player, bulk up, anybody can do that. Steak and potatoes with beer will do that.
    It is not always about how tall, or what you weight. You can not weigh heart, and determination.
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 04-28-2009 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    I do not get this, I want a 325 plus fat guy to stop a blocker in his tracks but is slow, or do I want a more stronger and quicker player, bulk up, anybody can do that. Steak and potatoes with beer will do that.
    It is not always about how tall, or what you weight. You can not weigh heart, and determination.
    I can agree with your logic and there are a couple of smaller around 300# NT around that play pretty well.
    Tyler and Edwards are both strong and will probally rotate at NT. By staying fresh and utilizing their strenght, we should be ok at NT. IMO
    Dorsey should be fine as DE if he finds the move attractive.
    Boone will probally be a reserve. McBride and Hali are probally trade bait. I don't think Hali has enough speed or quickness to play OLB.
    Of the people currently on the roster DJ seems to be the pass rusher.

I would think as a nose tackle , you would have a advantage being shorter and lower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast