Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tony Gonzalez says his farewell to KC is only temporary

Default Tony Gonzalez says his farewell to KC is only temporary

Tony Gonzalez said goodbye to Kansas City on Tuesday, but the legendary tight end said he’s merely on loan to the Atlanta Falcons.
    The 10-time Pro Bowler met with reporters Tuesday morning in the revolving restaurant at the top of the Hyatt Regency Crown Center, saying that he might be going to Atlanta now after last week’s trade, but Gonzalez insisted that he’ll someday retire as a Chief.
    Gonzalez was traded to the Falcons last Thursday for a second-round pick in the 2010 NFL draft. It ended the 33-year-old’s 12-year affiliation with Kansas City, which traded up to draft him as a 21-year-old in 1997. He has since broken every major tight end receiving record, and former Chiefs president Carl Peterson on Tuesday said Gonzalez was undoubtedly the best to ever play his position.
    Gonzalez said he planned to play two or three years in Atlanta as he continues to search for playoff success. He said the pursuit of a Super Bowl championship is “everything” to him now, but he said that at the end of his career, he planned to re-sign with the Chiefs for as little as one day, just so he can retire with the team that drafted him.
    Gonzalez also said there was no doubt he’d enter the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a Chiefs player, regardless of what happens with the Falcons.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Sn@keIze View Post
    Hes not going to because the the next SB belong to us.

But if we dont get it:

I appreciate and remember things hes done for the us and hope that he gets his SB.
    Either way, I only really care if the Chiefs win it and he left the team when we needed him most. I guess he is an alright guy (never met him) and he was/is a great TE. I wish him no ill will, but his career is now significantly less important to me now. I have two Tony G cardboard cutouts and I have a Priest Holmes jersey on one and DT on the other!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

If you are not wearing Chiefs Red, so long, Love him when he was, love him when he does again. but for now, its all about the Chief's wearing the Red.

I think this is something we as Chiefs fans are going to have to get used to. As one Pats fan stated, "don't get too attached to a particular player". Pioli has shown in the past that he has no problem getting rid of anyone on the team, no matter how popular that player may be with the fans. " Individuals go to Pro Bowls, teams win championships" as he has said himself. He has the belief that no one player is bigger than "the TEAM". Pioli has simply done what he has felt is best for our Kansas City Chiefs. TG is no longer a Chief, not because he dictated that move, but because in the long run, it is what was best for the future of our TEAM.

I wish Tony the very best from the rest of his career and look forward to seeing him enter the HOF sporting the Red & Gold!

Default really?

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    I don't care is he wants to enter the HOF as a Chief or not, how does he know he will be in it? The audasity of his erogance to make the assumption he will be in just because he holds a few records as a TE. It takes more then that IMO. How many HOFers that never won Championships are in with the one and only team they ever played on? He is a selfish POS IMO. Good riddons.
    I can't believe how quickly people dismiss Tony with posts like this. The guy was the face of the franchise for 12 years, doing literally EVERYTHING he could to try to bring a championship to KC, and wants an opportunity to try to win a Superbowl before he retires. Yes, that's probably not going to happen in Atlanta, but it's all but certain that it won't in Kansas City; we just have too many holes to fill. And then he comes out and praises the franchise for the years he spent here, and you still give him sh!t. Amazing.

Personally, Tony will always be one of my favorite Chiefs, and is a lock for the HOF, imo. He's the greates tight end of all time, broke all those records in KC, and wants to retire as a Chief. He deserves the opportunity to win a Superbowl (however I do agree that Atlanta probably wasn't the best choice to try to do that).

Good luck Tony. I'll be rooting for you.

P.S.
    the words you were looking for were AUDACITY and ARROGANCE. You might want to look into spell-checking. J/K.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234