Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2009 NFL Draft - My Opinion

Default The 2009 NFL Draft - My Opinion

This is what I give each Pick:

Round #1 - I feel that our first pick was not thought through properly. Tyson Jackson is a good player and all but IMO we needed Aaron Curry a lot more. He was available but we didn't seize the moment! My grade for our first pick is "D-".

Round #3 - I unfortunately don't know all that much about Alex Magee so I'll give our 2nd round pick a grade of "C".

Round #4 - To be completely honest with you guys I am quite fond of Donald Washington. He is a good player in my eyes. The only problem is that IMO we don't really need a CB, we needed a safety, which I would have been happier to have drafted. My Grade for this pick is “B+”.

Round #5 – Colin Brown I think was an alright choice. We needed An Offensive Lineman and we got one. Although I think instead of Drafting Alex Magee, instead we should’ve drafted an O-Lineman then instead of in round 4. My grade for this pick is “B”.

Round #6 – Quinten Lawrence IMO was a bit unnecessary. I don’t see the point of drafting a Wide Receiver when we already have 9 others. And only recently we had 10 Wide Receivers! My grade for this pick is “C-”.

Round #7 – Personally I can’t actually make up my mind about Javarris Williams. Not for the how well he plays, but for the fact of “How much do we actually need him?”. If Larry Johnson gets cut, we will need a RB unless Jamaal Charles can become a star player. Personally I think he can, I like him as a player and he played very well in 2008 IMO. He is also my favorite rookie for 2008. My grade for this pick is “C+”.

Round #8 – Another Wide Receiver. My opinion on this pick is the same as the one on Round #5. My grade for this pick is “C-“

Round #9 – This pick was a surprise to me. I wasn’t expecting for us to draft a Kicker at all. It wasn’t an unpleasant one though. I DO hope he develops into a great kicker that can smash the ball for over 50 yards though! I don’t see what’s wrong with our current kicker though. My grade for this pick is “B”.

Well now you guys know what I think of this year’s NFL Draft. Can’t wait until the Pre-season commences!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Hmmm, a 2.25 GPA.
    GPA?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    GPA?
    Grade point average

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    Grade point average
    OK, thanks.

I always think it's funny when we all judge and grade the picks. Granted, when Carl and Herm were picking we had good reason to, this year though, we have to trust the judgement of the new leadership. After hours and hours of watching tape of Curry and Jackson, Pioli made a choice he felt was best for the team. Myself, I can't wait to see the new crew in action and I have a very good feeling about this season....GO CHIEFS

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    I always think it's funny when we all judge and grade the picks. Granted, when Carl and Herm were picking we had good reason to, this year though, we have to trust the judgement of the new leadership. After hours and hours of watching tape of Curry and Jackson, Pioli made a choice he felt was best for the team. Myself, I can't wait to see the new crew in action and I have a very good feeling about this season....GO CHIEFS

You trust. I'll continue to form opinions, no matter how funny that is to you.

Some of the moves I've really liked. Others, not so much.

The fact that Herm and Gunther won't be butting heads tells me that the defense will almost definitely improve. And with the defensive draft, it should improve alot.

The addition of Goff should improve the offense, along with Haley's high-powered passing offense.

There's plenty of things to be optimistic about. But there is still plenty to worry about too.

I'm seeing 8-8. A six game improvement over last season.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

The fact that Herm and Gunther won't be butting heads tells me that the defense will almost definitely improve. And with the defensive draft, it should improve alot.

The addition of Goff should improve the offense, along with Haley's high-powered passing offense.

There's plenty of things to be optimistic about. But there is still plenty to worry about too.

Same here. I loved it when we hired Todd Haley as head Coach and when Scott Pioli was hired for General Manager. What I didn't like and sometimes could've said that I hated it is, the trade of Tony Gonzalez and the Pick-up of Tyson Jackson (not that I have anything against him).

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

Well I have to agree with you about the defense and I feel our offense will be much better also. I was just saying, we are fans, Pioli spends days or even weeks watching films of many different players and seeing he is the rebuilder, who would know more about whom would be a better fit for our team than him. Also, where as we may have some what of a slow start I see us doing better than an 8-8. :carrot:

does that mean that you guys that are saying 8-8 will call it a failure if we have a 4-12 season? i hope your expectations arent too high on a first time coach and gm. these guys are making changes but it will definitely take time. if you guys havent noticed, we have A LOT of new faces player and personnel wise. it will take more than a year to fix this. and i also think that our 4th rounder might be able to play safety. thats just a hope of mine, not saying i did hours of studies myself but it baffled me too when he was picked. they must have liked him alot because he had a little bit of trouble at ohio state also

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    I always think it's funny when we all judge and grade the picks.
    Why so funny? Isn't that what these forums are all about?
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by NWA Chief View Post
    does that mean that you guys that are saying 8-8 will call it a failure if we have a 4-12 season? i hope your expectations arent too high on a first time coach and gm. these guys are making changes but it will definitely take time. if you guys havent noticed, we have A LOT of new faces player and personnel wise. it will take more than a year to fix this. and i also think that our 4th rounder might be able to play safety. thats just a hope of mine, not saying i did hours of studies myself but it baffled me too when he was picked. they must have liked him alot because he had a little bit of trouble at ohio state also
    If we finish 4-12, the 2009 season will have been a failure. Simply because we could have stuck with the status quo (Herm/CP/Croyle/etc.) and still eked out 3-4 wins. We picked up vets like Vrabel, Engram, Goff and Thomas so that we would be competitive in 2009. Although this team is "rebuilding" to a large extent, this season won't be an extended tryout for our rookies like 2008 was.

Given the weakness of our division and some of our out-of-division opponents, six wins is the minimum we should accept from the team.

We drafted Washington, I think, because Pioli wanted a big, fast CB who could cover WRs one on one. Flowers and Carr don't have top-end speed. I don't see Washington as a safety, simply because he isn't a hard hitting guy like a 3-4 safety needs to be.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast