Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2009 NFL Draft - My Opinion

Default The 2009 NFL Draft - My Opinion

This is what I give each Pick:

Round #1 - I feel that our first pick was not thought through properly. Tyson Jackson is a good player and all but IMO we needed Aaron Curry a lot more. He was available but we didn't seize the moment! My grade for our first pick is "D-".

Round #3 - I unfortunately don't know all that much about Alex Magee so I'll give our 2nd round pick a grade of "C".

Round #4 - To be completely honest with you guys I am quite fond of Donald Washington. He is a good player in my eyes. The only problem is that IMO we don't really need a CB, we needed a safety, which I would have been happier to have drafted. My Grade for this pick is “B+”.

Round #5 – Colin Brown I think was an alright choice. We needed An Offensive Lineman and we got one. Although I think instead of Drafting Alex Magee, instead we should’ve drafted an O-Lineman then instead of in round 4. My grade for this pick is “B”.

Round #6 – Quinten Lawrence IMO was a bit unnecessary. I don’t see the point of drafting a Wide Receiver when we already have 9 others. And only recently we had 10 Wide Receivers! My grade for this pick is “C-”.

Round #7 – Personally I can’t actually make up my mind about Javarris Williams. Not for the how well he plays, but for the fact of “How much do we actually need him?”. If Larry Johnson gets cut, we will need a RB unless Jamaal Charles can become a star player. Personally I think he can, I like him as a player and he played very well in 2008 IMO. He is also my favorite rookie for 2008. My grade for this pick is “C+”.

Round #8 – Another Wide Receiver. My opinion on this pick is the same as the one on Round #5. My grade for this pick is “C-“

Round #9 – This pick was a surprise to me. I wasn’t expecting for us to draft a Kicker at all. It wasn’t an unpleasant one though. I DO hope he develops into a great kicker that can smash the ball for over 50 yards though! I don’t see what’s wrong with our current kicker though. My grade for this pick is “B”.

Well now you guys know what I think of this year’s NFL Draft. Can’t wait until the Pre-season commences!

Passing up on Curry was like passing up on a new computer for xmas to buy something you really need, like a new window.

I'm sad to not have Curry too, but in hindsight, Jackson was a really good pickup. And im pretty sure people started realizing he was the best defensive member for our team because Im positive Pioli didn't leak that we were thinking about him.

Quote Originally Posted by northwest View Post
    Passing up on Curry was like passing up on a new computer for xmas to buy something you really need, like a new window.
    Haha

That was a terrific metaphor. Had a good laugh

I'm with ya on Curry. I was really hoping for a young talent in the LB corps to act as a spark plug to get something going. In my opinion, the defensive line is serviceable, the LB corp need help. (Why else add two veterans??)

However, in hindsight I understand why the Chiefs went the route they did. Lets face it, Hali is not going to be a great Right DE. Its pretty obvious Jared Allen took a lot of heat off Hali and freed up blockers so he could get to the QB. I like McBride but he isnt developing into a player that will be a consistant. They needed to get a new DE and move Hali back to the left and have him compete with McBride for the starting job. The switch to 3-4 was also a deciding factor, the Chiefs need big physical DE's and they dont have them atm. Hopefully Jackson can provide that.

This is kind of out there, but, Dorsey is not doing well he needs some help, what better than a former teammate and roommate.

Lastly, back to the linebackers, they just paid quite a bit of money on two veteran LBs. Are they both not Inside Linebackers and wasnt Curry an inside linebacker? I think the Chiefs figured thay got at least 1 year with Thomas and probably 2-3 years with Vrabel. They are thinking getting a LB next year or the year after is ok and fix the line today.

Quote Originally Posted by jakesmith View Post
    I'm with ya on Curry. I was really hoping for a young talent in the LB corps to act as a spark plug to get something going. In my opinion, the defensive line is serviceable, the LB corp need help. (Why else add two veterans??)
    I think that was backwards. I thought the linebackers (with the addition of Vrabel and Thomas) were serviceable, but the line was just terrible.

jb

As much as I wanted, and we all wanted Curry, it would have been an unnecessary pick. We are ok at LB for the next 2 years. We really, and I mean REALLY needed a DL. We have't really signed any F/A D-lineman.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    As much as I wanted, and we all wanted Curry, it would have been an unnecessary pick. We are ok at LB for the next 2 years. We really, and I mean REALLY needed a DL. We have't really signed any F/A D-lineman.

Quote Originally Posted by jakesmith View Post

However, in hindsight I understand why the Chiefs went the route they did. Lets face it, Hali is not going to be a great Right DE. Its pretty obvious Jared Allen took a lot of heat off Hali and freed up blockers so he could get to the QB. I like McBride but he isnt developing into a player that will be a consistant. They needed to get a new DE and move Hali back to the left and have him compete with McBride for the starting job. The switch to 3-4 was also a deciding factor, the Chiefs need big physical DE's and they dont have them atm. Hopefully Jackson can provide that.

This is kind of out there, but, Dorsey is not doing well he needs some help, what better than a former teammate and roommate.

Lastly, back to the linebackers, they just paid quite a bit of money on two veteran LBs. Are they both not Inside Linebackers and wasnt Curry an inside linebacker? I think the Chiefs figured thay got at least 1 year with Thomas and probably 2-3 years with Vrabel. They are thinking getting a LB next year or the year after is ok and fix the line today.

I've gone back and forth with my opions the last few days. As much as I like Curry, Jackson is probally the best move. However this is my take on the rest of the draft.

1) Jackson- ok
    2) Cassell, Vrabel, potentially great.
    3)McGee- Jaron Gilbert, Antoine Caldweld were both available, we'll have to see which choice would have been better.
    4)Jonhathan Luigs was available, we just picked up the player he replaced.
    5)Jasper Brinkley' He was one of the top LB in the country before blowing out a knee in 2007, worked hard ,came back in 2008 and played at a high level. We all know the first year after knee surgery is not usually full speed.
    6) Chris Baker. Might have been our NT for years, Denver picked him up as UDFA
    7)Zack Follet -Another descent LB, someone else picked up.
    As you can see, I have my reservations about some of the choices and how they filled our needs. Only time will tell what the best choices would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post

Calm Down Aussie. Look who we have at LB. Vrable, DJ, Bisel, Hali?, Zach Thomas and whoever.

Were good for 2 years. Yes, I really wanted Curry to, but we really needed a D-lineman. And I think it was a better move than people think.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    This is what I give each Pick:

Round #1 - I feel that our first pick was not thought through properly. Tyson Jackson is a good player and all but IMO we needed Aaron Curry a lot more. He was available but we didn't seize the moment! My grade for our first pick is "D-".

Round #3 - I unfortunately don't know all that much about Alex Magee so I'll give our 2nd round pick a grade of "C".

Round #4 - To be completely honest with you guys I am quite fond of Donald Washington. He is a good player in my eyes. The only problem is that IMO we don't really need a CB, we needed a safety, which I would have been happier to have drafted. My Grade for this pick is “B+”.

Round #5 – Colin Brown I think was an alright choice. We needed An Offensive Lineman and we got one. Although I think instead of Drafting Alex Magee, instead we should’ve drafted an O-Lineman then instead of in round 4. My grade for this pick is “B”.

Round #6 – Quinten Lawrence IMO was a bit unnecessary. I don’t see the point of drafting a Wide Receiver when we already have 9 others. And only recently we had 10 Wide Receivers! My grade for this pick is “C-”.

Round #7 – Personally I can’t actually make up my mind about Javarris Williams. Not for the how well he plays, but for the fact of “How much do we actually need him?”. If Larry Johnson gets cut, we will need a RB unless Jamaal Charles can become a star player. Personally I think he can, I like him as a player and he played very well in 2008 IMO. He is also my favorite rookie for 2008. My grade for this pick is “C+”.

Round #8 – Another Wide Receiver. My opinion on this pick is the same as the one on Round #5. My grade for this pick is “C-“

Round #9 – This pick was a surprise to me. I wasn’t expecting for us to draft a Kicker at all. It wasn’t an unpleasant one though. I DO hope he develops into a great kicker that can smash the ball for over 50 yards though! I don’t see what’s wrong with our current kicker though. My grade for this pick is “B”.

Well now you guys know what I think of this year’s NFL Draft. Can’t wait until the Pre-season commences!

Hmmm, a 2.25 GPA.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast