Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Sign C Eric Ghiaciuc!

Default Chiefs Sign C Eric Ghiaciuc!

Chiefs sign center Ghiaciuc - Kansas City Star

What do you think, good pick up?

That means Rudy can move to RT or RG and we should have a soild and stable OL.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

I saw this earlier... personally I'm not a big fan. Ghiaciuc was one of the worst starting centers in the league the past few years, and I could be wrong but he seems about equal to Niswanger.

ESPN Scouting Report:

Ghiaciuc is an intelligent pivot man with marginal size and strength. He is quick off the ball and competes to the whistle. His lack of power and bulk will always be a drawback, especially in the AFC North, which is loaded with powerful nose tackle types. He is an above-average athlete for the center position and shows natural knee bend. Ghiaciuc does a nice job blocking at the second level and getting downfield, where his athleticism stands out. He runs well and can change directions in space without looking awkward. His technique, blocking angles and feel for the game are all strengths to his game. He can recover when initially beaten. Ghiaciuc isn't a player to run behind in short-yardage situations and will not consistently blow his opponent off the ball. While he should continue to get stronger, he is incapable of out-muscling his opponent or pressing bigger defensive tackles off his body. He isn't a mauler and is more of a technician. He is inconsistent to anchor effectively versus interior power rushers and needs to increase his haunch power. Ghiaciuc is an okay starting pivot, but often needs help getting movement in the run game from his teammates and his lack of bulk and power will always hinder his effectiveness.

Interesting, indeed.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

I say its a good pick up. Either Niswanger will get better or he will sit! I was impressed with Niswanger last year after learning a new role. I agree signing this guy gives alot more freedom for coaches to move players.

It was a good signing. We had hardly any depth at the C position. Luigs was available in the fourth round of the draft and would have been a much better choicee for our team.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    I saw this earlier... personally I'm not a big fan. Ghiaciuc was one of the worst starting centers in the league the past few years, and I could be wrong but he seems about equal to Niswanger.

ESPN Scouting Report:

Ghiaciuc is an intelligent pivot man with marginal size and strength. He is quick off the ball and competes to the whistle. His lack of power and bulk will always be a drawback, especially in the AFC North, which is loaded with powerful nose tackle types. He is an above-average athlete for the center position and shows natural knee bend. Ghiaciuc does a nice job blocking at the second level and getting downfield, where his athleticism stands out. He runs well and can change directions in space without looking awkward. His technique, blocking angles and feel for the game are all strengths to his game. He can recover when initially beaten. Ghiaciuc isn't a player to run behind in short-yardage situations and will not consistently blow his opponent off the ball. While he should continue to get stronger, he is incapable of out-muscling his opponent or pressing bigger defensive tackles off his body. He isn't a mauler and is more of a technician. He is inconsistent to anchor effectively versus interior power rushers and needs to increase his haunch power. Ghiaciuc is an okay starting pivot, but often needs help getting movement in the run game from his teammates and his lack of bulk and power will always hinder his effectiveness.
    He should only be here for depth at the position. Our biggest problems running last year was in short yardage, which apparently is this guy's weakness.

But maybe this gives us leverage against Waters for a trade ...
    Last edited by jap1; 05-01-2009 at 02:06 AM.

If I am not mistaken, we had problems in short yardage last year. So, why sign an OL that is weaker in that position? Hmmmm...

First of all, why would you listen to what ESPN has to say about a team or player that is not on the Pats, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Colts, or Pittsburgh?

Second of all with the right training, he can learn to be awesome. Rememeber there was a time when Tony G sucked at blocking, but he took the time to learn and got great at it.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    First of all, why would you listen to what ESPN has to say about a team or player that is not on the Pats, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Colts, or Pittsburgh?

Second of all with the right training, he can learn to be awesome. Rememeber there was a time when Tony G sucked at blocking, but he took the time to learn and got great at it.
    The actually scouting is done by Scouts Inc., not ESPN. They scouted 2400 NFL players, not just players on prolific teams. Also, just by reading it you can tell whoever scouted the guy knows what they're talking about and understands the nuances of an offensive lineman.

I'm not going to argue with you. I just don't personally see him as an upgrade over Niswanger, that's all.

hey, ya gotta root for rudy. Rudy makes a great chant Ruuuuuuuuudee! Ruuuuuuuuudee! and even the last name nice-wanger should be alot of fun. but seriously he was making solid progress before his injury. "Ghiaciuc" is a tongue tied accident waiting to happen. it does sound like he may make a decent pulling guard however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast