Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Default Windows 7

I just thought we should have a new thread for Windows 7, seeing as it has nothing to do with Linux.
    If you guys need any tips feel free to ask, I have been using Windows 7 since January, and have grown very accustom to it. Some helpful tips/hints to get you started:

#1...STOP USING DESKTOP... It is no longer needed with Windows 7, you can simply pin your most used/favorite programs to the taskbar at the bottom now. That means you dont have to close windows or press the start button to get to the program you want.

#2....When your looking to do ANYTHING at all on your computer, the easiest way minus the taskbar is to press the windows button, and simply type any thing your looking to do in the search box at the bottom. this is the best feature in my opinion. For example if you want to burn a dvd but dont want to go through all the hassle all you have to do is simply>press windows button>type dvd, and its the first thing that comes up.

#3.....Virtual Sticky Notes on your desktop rules, and Gadgets can go anywhere now, not just on a stupid sidebar.

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    What about Filezilla FTP server?
    What about shut the f#$k up
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

That's not an option.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Here's the link to the Windows 7 Support Forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...egory/w7itpro/

Got my Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade Upgrade in the mail today! Does anyone know whether this can be installed on top of the Eval version or do I need to take my machine back to Vista and upgrade from there? I'm sure that the subject is covered somewhere on Microsoft's website but just don't feel like researching it.

The only problem is that my eval version is "Ultimate" and I ordered "Premium" so my upgrade is really a downgrade. :(

UGH! All this change intimidates me! I'm older, wasn't taught how to use computers in school. By the time PC's for home use became widely used, I was intimidated. I finally bought my PC in 2003...first time I ever turned on or touched a computer.

I've invested hours teaching myself since 2003, and have come such a long way. My kids & others often turn to me for PC advice now. I'm far from a geek, or expert, but also far from the PC illiterate I was in 2003.

I still use the same PC, now 7 yrs old. Still using my original OS Windows XP. I don't want to start over learning a new OS...I love XP! All of the programs I've purchased over the yrs, such as my Paint Shop Pro, Office Publisher...aren't compatible with Vista or Windows 7...I can't afford to replace them either.

My PC's memory is beginning to show signs of age...slowing down, and it's very outdated with being 7 yrs old now. I know I'm eventually gonna have to break down & buy a new PC. I know I need one with more memory for graphics, also more features related to music, such as higher quality sound, etc....but sure wish I could buy one with XP installed as this one was.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Got my Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade Upgrade in the mail today! Does anyone know whether this can be installed on top of the Eval version or do I need to take my machine back to Vista and upgrade from there? I'm sure that the subject is covered somewhere on Microsoft's website but just don't feel like researching it.

The only problem is that my eval version is "Ultimate" and I ordered "Premium" so my upgrade is really a downgrade. :(
    I haven't messed with mine yet but a friend of mine just chose the "custom" options on an upgrade copy and got the clean install that way.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    UGH! All this change intimidates me! I'm older, wasn't taught how to use computers in school. By the time PC's for home use became widely used, I was intimidated. I finally bought my PC in 2003...first time I ever turned on or touched a computer.

I've invested hours teaching myself since 2003, and have come such a long way. My kids & others often turn to me for PC advice now. I'm far from a geek, or expert, but also far from the PC illiterate I was in 2003.

I still use the same PC, now 7 yrs old. Still using my original OS Windows XP. I don't want to start over learning a new OS...I love XP! All of the programs I've purchased over the yrs, such as my Paint Shop Pro, Office Publisher...aren't compatible with Vista or Windows 7...I can't afford to replace them either.

My PC's memory is beginning to show signs of age...slowing down, and it's very outdated with being 7 yrs old now. I know I'm eventually gonna have to break down & buy a new PC. I know I need one with more memory for graphics, also more features related to music, such as higher quality sound, etc....but sure wish I could buy one with XP installed as this one was.

Some programs you might want to invest some time in, Connie, that compliment whatever anti-virus you're using are Malwarebytes, Ad-aware and possibly an registry cleaner from Glary Utilities. All are free and do not, to my knowledge, interfere with the operation of any anti-virus programs.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 10-30-2009 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    I haven't messed with mine yet but a friend of mine just chose the "custom" options on an upgrade copy and got the clean install that way.
    Cool. I'll probably install mine today. It's my understanding that after this month the eval copies begin to do the every other hour shutdown thing.

Cool. I'll probably install mine today. It's my understanding that after this month the eval copies begin to do the every other hour shutdown thing.
    Chiefster, i had to get help in upgrading from the RC to the final copy. I wanted to keep all my files the easy way so I just followed the steps on this following link and it worked great. Hope this helps.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3075/...s-7-rc-to-rtm/
    Last edited by Vanilla Garilla; 10-30-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Some programs you might want to invest some time in, Connie, that compliment whatever anti-virus you're using are Malwarebytes, Ad-aware and possibly an registry cleaner from Glary Utilities. All are free and do not, to my knowledge, interfere with the operation of any anti-virus programs.
    HUH? You lost me some Chiefster with your advice, which I do appreciate, since I'm not 'that' PC wise. :)

The anti virus I use is from PC Tools, and the registry cleaner I use is RegCure, which isn't free, have to pay an annual renewal fee. I'd of course prefer to use a free one, but someone told me once the free registry cleaners often add 'extras' to your PC not desirable, so that's why I opted at the time for RegCure.

I also do a back up anti virus scan regularly with McAffe's free on line 'Stinger'. At one time I used AVG Anti Virus, but it kept having errors during scans, so uninstalled and went with PC Tools instead.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast