Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Default Windows 7

I just thought we should have a new thread for Windows 7, seeing as it has nothing to do with Linux.
    If you guys need any tips feel free to ask, I have been using Windows 7 since January, and have grown very accustom to it. Some helpful tips/hints to get you started:

#1...STOP USING DESKTOP... It is no longer needed with Windows 7, you can simply pin your most used/favorite programs to the taskbar at the bottom now. That means you dont have to close windows or press the start button to get to the program you want.

#2....When your looking to do ANYTHING at all on your computer, the easiest way minus the taskbar is to press the windows button, and simply type any thing your looking to do in the search box at the bottom. this is the best feature in my opinion. For example if you want to burn a dvd but dont want to go through all the hassle all you have to do is simply>press windows button>type dvd, and its the first thing that comes up.

#3.....Virtual Sticky Notes on your desktop rules, and Gadgets can go anywhere now, not just on a stupid sidebar.

For some reason when I go to map a network drive it will list the computer in the network in the browser window but states that it cannot access the computer listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Thats what I thought. Here is what MY HP ink costs me...

Buy PSC 750 ink and paper from HP® Official Store

OUCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    For some reason when I go to map a network drive it will list the computer in the network in the browser window but states that it cannot access the computer listed.
    Are all the devices on the network listed on the Homegroup? I know that makes a difference in whether or not sharing is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    OUCH!!!
    Yep. Hence why I jumped to Kodak. Knowing what I know now though, I probably should have just stuck with my printer. I was able to get decent priced ink for it on Ebay. I just really wanted to get back to name brand ink. We purchased our Kodak in December and the ink is out already. I don't think we printer more than 100 pages in that time. The HP ink I purchased under the same usage pattern would last over a year.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Are all the devices on the network listed on the Homegroup? I know that makes a difference in whether or not sharing is allowed.
    I thought so, I'll double check.

...All looks kosher.

I'm networked through a wireless router; perhaps I need to adjust settings there. Don't know how much messing around with those settings I really want to do though.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Yep. Hence why I jumped to Kodak. Knowing what I know now though, I probably should have just stuck with my printer. I was able to get decent priced ink for it on Ebay. I just really wanted to get back to name brand ink. We purchased our Kodak in December and the ink is out already. I don't think we printer more than 100 pages in that time. The HP ink I purchased under the same usage pattern would last over a year.
    I use a lexmark all-in-one which has excellent print quality, but I don't get near ink usage you got out of your HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I'm networked through a wireless router; perhaps I need to adjust settings there. Don't know how much messing around with those settings I really want to do though.
    So is it that you cant share any files among your computers all together? I know Ive had plenty of networking problems throughout my life, and It seems as if I search the internet for the problem for weeks and finally find what it is. But I really don't know whats going on with yours, if you were able to share before you installed Windows 7, then its something in the options. I can capture a screenshot of mine if you think it will help.

So is it that you cant share any files among your computers all together? I know Ive had plenty of networking problems throughout my life, and It seems as if I search the internet for the problem for weeks and finally find what it is. But I really don't know whats going on with yours, if you were able to share before you installed Windows 7, then its something in the options. I can capture a screenshot of mine if you think it will help.
    Yeah, before I was able to access the HD of each computer within my network, but I networked them together in order to share the printer. A screen shot would be great, thanks.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast