Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Default Windows 7

I just thought we should have a new thread for Windows 7, seeing as it has nothing to do with Linux.
    If you guys need any tips feel free to ask, I have been using Windows 7 since January, and have grown very accustom to it. Some helpful tips/hints to get you started:

#1...STOP USING DESKTOP... It is no longer needed with Windows 7, you can simply pin your most used/favorite programs to the taskbar at the bottom now. That means you dont have to close windows or press the start button to get to the program you want.

#2....When your looking to do ANYTHING at all on your computer, the easiest way minus the taskbar is to press the windows button, and simply type any thing your looking to do in the search box at the bottom. this is the best feature in my opinion. For example if you want to burn a dvd but dont want to go through all the hassle all you have to do is simply>press windows button>type dvd, and its the first thing that comes up.

#3.....Virtual Sticky Notes on your desktop rules, and Gadgets can go anywhere now, not just on a stupid sidebar.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Using Windows 7 now and so far is working great, with the exception of some printer issues!
    Thats good, kinda strange about the printer issues though! I haven't had a compatibility problem with hardware what so ever, but I do not have a whole hell of a lot hooked up either.

How you like the user friendliness of 7 compared to Vista Chiefster?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    I stopped using firefox becasue the window (page in browser) starts bouncing after about 10 seconds of using it.
    Thats extremely strange Aussie, Ive never heard of that. I have found Firefox to be the most stable, reliable browser yet. Another option for you might be to use Wyzo, it is also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    Thats extremely strange Aussie, Ive never heard of that. I have found Firefox to be the most stable, reliable browser yet. Another option for you might be to use Wyzo, it is also very good.
    I think I'll keep using Google chrome and IE8 ATM. Another weird thing is that the whole reason I actually use IE8 is because when I use chiefscrowd.com in Google chrome it make the browser crash, and the chiefscrowd.com is the website I visit the most! But yeah, I'll have a look at "Wyzo" over the weekend (just finished school [it's friday]).

Thats good, kinda strange about the printer issues though! I haven't had a compatibility problem with hardware what so ever, but I do not have a whole hell of a lot hooked up either.

How you like the user friendliness of 7 compared to Vista Chiefster?
    I got the printer issue resolved; I didn't do a clean install it allowed me to do an upgrade so I didn't have to re-install any of my software/drivers, but for some reason the printer driver got corrupted so I just uninstalled the software and reinstalled it and it works great now. As far as the user friendliness goes: its awesome, but to tell the truth it, to me, is only marginally better then Vista with SP1. However, like I said it's awesome I really like do like it, but not so much that I couldn't live without it. JMHO.

Same here, I particularly like the way it picks up all my misspellings; something IE has yet to incorporate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I got the printer issue resolved; I didn't do a clean install it allowed me to do an upgrade so I didn't have to re-install any of my software/drivers, but for some reason the printer driver got corrupted so I just uninstalled the software and reinstalled it and it works great now. As far as the user friendliness goes: its awesome, but to tell the truth it, to me, is only marginally better then Vista with SP1. However, like I said it's awesome I really like do like it, but not so much that I couldn't live without it. JMHO.
    Lucky you getting to do an upgrade, I had to do a clean install each time (2x) and it is a pain transferring everything. My drivers were easy with windows 7 though, because it just searched and updated them automatically. IMO Windows 7 is what Vista was supposed to be, or what it was envisioned to be, just was not reached. I think they did it right this time, and customers should be happy. Oh and I wasn't sold on it from the gate either, took me a little bit, and what sold me was when my laptop was in for prepare, and I had to go back to Vista.

Lucky you getting to do an upgrade, I had to do a clean install each time (2x) and it is a pain transferring everything. My drivers were easy with windows 7 though, because it just searched and updated them automatically. IMO Windows 7 is what Vista was supposed to be, or what it was envisioned to be, just was not reached. I think they did it right this time, and customers should be happy. Oh and I wasn't sold on it from the gate either, took me a little bit, and what sold me was when my laptop was in for prepare, and I had to go back to Vista.
    Yeah, I was real surprised that I was able to do the upgrade, it made it a lot easier. I agree with your assessment though, it is what Vista should have been.

The latest version of 7 has an XP virtual machine built in.

I still haven't installed it yet, but have heard great things.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Thanks for the rep fellows, I will share the love

I am indeed using the 64 bit version because it is as fast as Otis Nixon....I don't use the 64 bit internet explorer though because almost no websites function well with it.

I wish I had the PC inerds to run 64 bits!

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    The latest version of 7 has an XP virtual machine built in.

I still haven't installed it yet, but have heard great things.
    I read something about that as well, I'll have to check it out.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast