Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hali talks about playing OLB

Default Hali talks about playing OLB

Hali hoping for a fresh start - Kansas City Star

I like the things he says, about dropping to 250 lbs to increase his speed. And that the only reason he was at 275 was because Gunther wanted him at that weight. He says he's more comfortable at 250. I thought he looked a step slow last season.

Honestly, my personal opinion is that Hali does have a place in this offense, and that it's at starting OLB opposite Vrabel, with DJ playing inside. We have to have a skilled pass rusher. DJ is unproven in that area (and undersized as a 3-4 OLB), and Vrabel struggled last season getting to the QB.

Pencil him at starter for now.

OLB - Tamba Hali
    ILB - Derrick Johnson
    ILB - Zach Thomas
    OLB - Mike Vrabel

I think if Hali can go from 275 down to 250 he will prove to be more effective. To be honest, no matter what position he plays I think the weight needs to drop off to be more effective. Terrell Suggs from Baltimore and Woodley from Pitt are the type of OLB's that are good at 260+ If hali can get down to the 250 range I think he can do damage. Look at at off the stud OLB from last year...tons of them were around 250 or below. Chiefs need not worry about having the biggest players...we should get some big and speedy guys. There are exceptions to the rule of OLB being 250 or below, its just my humble opinion

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    It does depend on the scheme but towards the end of DT's career and life he was dropping back in coverage alot more frequently.

I seem to remember that Gunther had done some different schemes that had DT doing things other than rushing the passer. Wasn't there a season where DT said he felt really out of place because of what they were having him do?

jb

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123