Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hali talks about playing OLB

Default Hali talks about playing OLB

Hali hoping for a fresh start - Kansas City Star

I like the things he says, about dropping to 250 lbs to increase his speed. And that the only reason he was at 275 was because Gunther wanted him at that weight. He says he's more comfortable at 250. I thought he looked a step slow last season.

Honestly, my personal opinion is that Hali does have a place in this offense, and that it's at starting OLB opposite Vrabel, with DJ playing inside. We have to have a skilled pass rusher. DJ is unproven in that area (and undersized as a 3-4 OLB), and Vrabel struggled last season getting to the QB.

Pencil him at starter for now.

OLB - Tamba Hali
    ILB - Derrick Johnson
    ILB - Zach Thomas
    OLB - Mike Vrabel

I think it was stupid for him to gain weight. I see in college he was light...and fast. Now he put on weight and slowed down. I think DE's should be not really slim, but alittle bigger than average.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    I think it was stupid for him to gain weight. I see in college he was light...and fast. Now he put on weight and slowed down. I think DE's should be not really slim, but alittle bigger than average.
    yeah.. obviously the question is whether or not he can drop into coverage, at least for short zones if nothing else. That will be the test.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Hali hoping for a fresh start - Kansas City Star

I like the things he says, about dropping to 250 lbs to increase his speed. And that the only reason he was at 275 was because Gunther wanted him at that weight. He says he's more comfortable at 250. I thought he looked a step slow last season.

Honestly, my personal opinion is that Hali does have a place in this offense, and that it's at starting OLB opposite Vrabel, with DJ playing inside. We have to have a skilled pass rusher. DJ is unproven in that area (and undersized as a 3-4 OLB), and Vrabel struggled last season getting to the QB.

Pencil him at starter for now.

OLB - Tamba Hali
    ILB - Derrick Johnson
    ILB - Zach Thomas
    OLB - Mike Vrabel
    I wish him luck, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think he has shown the toughness needed for the position.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    I wish him luck, but I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think he has shown the toughness needed for the position.
    Well he sounds as if hes fully committed to getting leaner and meaner this year, which is great. I already named him as who I thought would be the most improved chiefs for 09 in the other thread, lets see if he can bring me some joy.

Honestly, my personal opinion is that Hali does have a place in this offense
    RB or WR??
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    RB or WR??
    oops!! I'm surprised you're the first one to catch that.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    yeah we'll see what happens. I do feel that if he doesn't play OLB and instead Beisel or Williams is starting, then our LB corps will be really undersized for a 3-4. I look at most OLBs in particular around the league, and they're mostly 255+ lbs. The only starting linebacker we'd have over 243 would be Vrabel.
    Last edited by yashi; 05-07-2009 at 10:40 AM.

oops!! I'm surprised you're the first one to catch that.
    Some of us aren't into hammering people for a little slip up. Just don't let it happen again.. He He

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    Some of us aren't into hammering people for a little slip up. Just don't let it happen again.. He He
    I wasn't hammering him, I just wanted to make sure it did not confuse you!! :p
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast