Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Rumor about Edge coming to KC

Question Rumor about Edge coming to KC

Just read another rumor about James coming to KC. At least these are something about the Chiefs.

Source

Chiefs looking at Edge

Posted: 05/05/09 11:29 am The Main Line...Edgerrin James played last season for Todd Haley while they both were in Arizona, but a reunion could be coming in Kansas City. ESPN is reporting that the Chiefs are looking at the possibility of adding James to their mix now that he's been released by the Cardinals.
    jesse thinks...
    The team was openly flirting with the option of cutting Larry Johnsnon few months back, and this could possibly give them a replacement if that's still the plan. Still, moving from LJ to Edge would be a downgrade for the offense, so I think Haley will consider this cautiously before moving ahead. I could also see James being added to pair with LJ, which would likely signal the end of Kolby Smith's run in KC.

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    Greg Hill had a few 100 yard games
    Point well taken.

...So did Marcus Allen BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    Unless Charles can add some considerable bulk while maintaing his step or all of a sudden becomes a shifty in backfield runner he'll always be flash without the thunder; a complementary back.

There are some stud comp. backs.
    I disagree. There are and were plenty of backs that were comparible in size (5'11'' 200lbs) that were very successful. Todd McNair and Charles are not even close to one another from an athletic standpoint.

Wonder why a guy that is near 6' and 200 lbs is usually deemed as "light, yet you can have a 5'9" RB at 190lbs and it's no big deal? I am sure Charles will put on a few few pounds as he matures physically.

Charles is a little bit smaller version of Dickerson and Allen while very close to Payton, yet he has better speed than all of them.

Chris Johnson of the Titans is an exact replica of Charles from a physical standpoint...Speed included. He was actually "used" properly in his first year and I think he will become a 20-25 carry per game back as well.

Eric Dickerson: 6'3" 220lbs

Marcus Allen: 6'2" 210 lbs

Walter Payton 5'10" 202 lbs

Chris Johnson 5'11" 200 lbs: 4.2 speed and Runner-up Rookie of the year.

Jamaal Charles 5'11" 200lbs: 4.2 40yd dash

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    I disagree. There are and were plenty of backs that were comparible in size (5'11'' 200lbs) that were very successful. Todd McNair and Charles are not even close to one another from an athletic standpoint.

Wonder why a guy that is near 6' and 200 lbs is usually deemed as "light, yet you can have a 5'9" RB at 190lbs and it's no big deal? I am sure Charles will put on a few few pounds as he matures physically.

Charles is a little bit smaller version of Dickerson and Allen while very close to Payton, yet he has better speed than all of them.

Chris Johnson of the Titans is an exact replica of Charles from a physical standpoint...Speed included. He was actually "used" properly in his first year and I think he will become a 20-25 carry per game back as well.

Eric Dickerson: 6'3" 220lbs

Marcus Allen: 6'2" 210 lbs

Walter Payton 5'10" 202 lbs

Chris Johnson 5'11" 200 lbs: 4.2 speed and Runner-up Rookie of the year.

Jamaal Charles 5'11" 200lbs: 4.2 40yd dash
    You can't compare Dickerson, Allen, and Payton to Charles. Front sevens, even 15 years ago, were much smaller and slower.

Chris Johnson had a great 1st year. He played behind a great OL and had a big back in Lendale White to pick up some slack (things Charles didn't). If he plays another 16 game season, I'll be shocked. The league is littered with ROY RBs who broke down. With the exception of true freaks like Tomlinson, Westbrook, and Portis, there just isn't such a thing as an every down RB anymore (and even those three break down every so often). A ready supply of fresh legs and a good OL are more important than any one player.

Again, nothing against Charles, but don't build him up too much. If we try to give him the ball 20 times a week, he'll break down. At best, probably, he's a Leon Washington/Kevin Faulk type for us (10 touches a week). And that's pretty good in today's NFL.

Medicinal aids, equipment, theraputic and supplement regimens are leaps and bounds ahead of what they were even 10 years ago (salaries included) and to think that "most" RB's in a pro league cannot carry the ball more than 10-15 times without risk of breaking down...Hmmm.

I know, I know....We need a better O-line...Most backs are successful and "less" beat-up with a good line but for pete's sake....It seems like every one of our backs are "situational" backs. One can run like hell, catch a ball and block pretty good but he is deemed "fragile". The other is already fragile (Smith) and the other is a beast of a runner that does not like to block, can't catch very well, and lately, tends to avoid contact.

So, in reality....We're "screwed"??? LMAO!

Johnson in...It's more probable of a run play....Take him out, more probable of a pass play. Sheeesh!

That is what I liked about Edge....He could do all and I still think he could for another year or two.
    Last edited by dbolan; 06-01-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Medicinal aids, equipment, theraputic and supplement regimens are leaps and bounds ahead of what they were even 10 years ago (salaries included) and to think that "most" RB's in a pro league cannot carry the ball more than 10-15 times without risk of breaking down...Hmmm.
    No. Medical equipment in preventing/curing injury hasn't even come close to the conditioning that have turned the average LB into a 250 lb wall of muscle that can run a 4.6.

Here's a quiz: How many RBs rushed over 20 or more times a game (320 carries total) last season? 3. That's right. 3. (AP, Turner, and Portis). AP and Turner are just starting out in the league and haven't had much wear and tear (I'll bet at least one misses significant games this year). And Portis (like Westbrook and LT - both of whom were around 15/game) is a freak.

It's not an accident that successful teams are platooning at RB, while unsuccessful teams are sticking with the one-back system.

I know, I know....We need a better O-line...Most backs are successful and "less" beat-up with a good line but for pete's sake....It seems like every one of our backs are "situational" backs. One can run like hell, catch a ball and block pretty good but he is deemed "fragile". The other is already fragile (Smith) and the other is a beast of a runner that does not like to block, can't catch very well, and lately, tends to avoid contact.

So, in reality....We're "screwed"??? LMAO!

Johnson in...It's more probable of a run play....Take him out, more probable of a pass play. Sheeesh!

That is what I liked about Edge....He could do all and I still think he could for another year or two.
    We're not screwed. We use LJ as a two-down RB and Charles as our 3DRB and in the two-back set. We don't play Herm-ball (run/run/pass). We are pretty good to go RB-wise, just so long as we don't expect one guy to dominate. Edge would be fine as a change of pace back. He's not an every down back anymore. Very, very few RBs are.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456