Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rumor about Edge coming to KC

Question Rumor about Edge coming to KC

Just read another rumor about James coming to KC. At least these are something about the Chiefs.

Source

Chiefs looking at Edge

Posted: 05/05/09 11:29 am The Main Line...Edgerrin James played last season for Todd Haley while they both were in Arizona, but a reunion could be coming in Kansas City. ESPN is reporting that the Chiefs are looking at the possibility of adding James to their mix now that he's been released by the Cardinals.
    jesse thinks...
    The team was openly flirting with the option of cutting Larry Johnsnon few months back, and this could possibly give them a replacement if that's still the plan. Still, moving from LJ to Edge would be a downgrade for the offense, so I think Haley will consider this cautiously before moving ahead. I could also see James being added to pair with LJ, which would likely signal the end of Kolby Smith's run in KC.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    Doesn't much matter to me as long as the team wins.

I am with you there I don't care who they sign or don't sign as long as they win.

I think the news is just a rumor. I think plans and strategies had to be in place just in case LJ demanded a trade or KC needed to move him. Initially I think sometimes a disgruntled RB gets motivated a tad bit when a big name free agent is discussed about joining or replacing the current RB...ofcourse these plans backfire too. I think the news about James is a contiuation of KC discussing all of the possibilities with our run game. James in place of LJ would be a downgrade

Even though LJ has his share of issues (more than his share really). If James and LJ had the same # of carries, my money would be on LJ

So far everyone is still talking about the running game and seem to be forgetting that this is likely going to be a pass-heavy offense, which favors Edge over LJ. Sure LJ is the better ball carrier, but Edge's pass blocking skills are leaps and bounds better than LJ and he's better at catching the ball out of the backfield.

I don't think Edge is a better player than LJ, but I can certainly see how he could be a better fit in Todd Haley's scheme than LJ.

When it comes down to it, I doubt Pioli is thrilled with the idea of LJ being the guy putting up the last ditch block for his potential 30+ million dollar investment in Cassel. We are talking about a guy who routinely gets out of the way rather than tries to block for the QB.

I think we are talking about the running game because it opens up the passing game. The only way Bowe will truly be able to break out is if he has help in the back field and have the opposition fear or atleast respect the run. Sure James may fit better into a pass heavy attack (which is how Chiefs played the second half of the season and how Arizona played the entire season) but I can argue that Arizona could have won the superbowl (they almost did) if they has a better compliment to their awesome passing attack. Many possible first downs could have be made if there was an actual running game. James was the leading rusher on the team vs Pitt....he rushed for 9 times. Harrington and Hightower each got a carry for a grand total of 11 rushing carries (12 since Warner rushed once to avoid being killed). Arizona played awesome and Fitz kept him in the game. Although exciting to watch, not typically a way a team gets to the superbowl being so one sided offensively. That is one of the reasons the world was so surprised that Arizona was playing in the Superbowl. Besides, we don't have the players to have an offense like that....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    Yeah two 30 year old, beaten up running backs. Thats how you get it done.....are you freaking kidding me, the league has reverted back to speed.
    Um, no it hasn't? Teams are platooning at RB with fresh legs. Size, speed, etc. aren't nearly as important as staying healthy. Signing Edge has no downside, as long as it's a one-year contract. Plus him in when LJ gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Um, no it hasn't? Teams are platooning at RB with fresh legs. Size, speed, etc. aren't nearly as important as staying healthy. Signing Edge has no downside, as long as it's a one-year contract. Plus him in when LJ gets hurt.
    Or if he get's traded or cut.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Or if he get's traded or cut.
    I'd have bet your life he would be at the end of 2008 season. But it's becoming less and less likely every day. Especially since he lost the arbitration.

Edge is familiar with our offense and pass blocking schemes. He is a great pass-blocker. Always has been. He's also a hard runner. That would compliment people like Jamaal Charles. I think he's a viable option as a backup for LJ. As jmlamerson correctly points out, I think he's worth a roster spot under a 1 yr contract.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    The big downside is his health , is he fit enough to last an entire season?
    In the role he'd play here, I can't imagine him getting more than 6-8 carries a game. So I'd say he has an above average chance of staying healthy.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast