Thread: College Hall Of Famer Tisdale, Dies At 44

Unhappy College Hall Of Famer Tisdale, Dies At 44

Wayman Tisdale, a three-time All-American at Oklahoma who played 12 seasons in the NBA, died after a two-year battle with cancer. He was 44.
    Tisdale died Friday morning at St. John Medical Center in Tulsa, hospital spokeswoman Joy McGill said.

After three years at Oklahoma, Tisdale played in the NBA with the Indiana Pacers, Sacramento Kings and Phoenix Suns. The 6-foot-9 forward, with a soft left-handed touch on the court and a wide smile off it, averaged 15.3 points for his career. He was on the U.S. team that won the gold medal in the 1984 Olympics.
    After basketball, he became an award-winning jazz musician, with several albums making the top 10 on the Billboard charts.
    "Wayman Tisdale is one of the best people I have ever had the privilege of knowing," Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel said in a statement. "He had an incredible gift of making the people who came in contact with him feel incredibly special."
    Tisdale's death was announced on the Oklahoma Senate floor Friday by Senate Majority Leader Todd Lamb, who led the chamber in prayer.
    "Whether you're a Cowboy or a Sooner, Oklahoma has lost a great ambassador," Lamb said. "He was a gifted musician, a gifted athlete and he just wore that well wherever he went."
    Gov. Brad Henry attended Oklahoma at the same time Tisdale did and later appointed him to the state's Tourism Commission.
    "Oklahoma has lost one of its most beloved sons," Henry said. "Wayman Tisdale was a hero both on and off the basketball court. ... Even in the most challenging of times, he had a smile for people, and he had the rare ability to make everyone around him smile. He was one of the most inspirational people I have ever known."
    The famously upbeat Tisdale learned he had a cancerous cyst below his right knee after breaking his leg in a fall at his home in Los Angeles on Feb. 8, 2007. He said then he was fortunate to have discovered the cancer early.
    "Nothing can change me," Tisdale told The Associated Press last June. "You go through things. You don't change because things come in your life. You get better because things come in your life."
    His leg was amputated last August and a prosthetic leg that he wore was crimson, one of the colors of his beloved Oklahoma Sooners. He made a handful of public appearances in recent weeks, including one April 7 at an Oklahoma City Thunder game, where he received the team's Community Hero Award.
    Also within the past month, Tisdale was honored at the Greenwood Cultural Center in his hometown of Tulsa and presented with the Legacy Award. During the ceremony, he spoke about his cancer, saying "In my mind, I've beaten it."
    Last month, Tisdale was chosen for induction into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame.
    He was the first freshman to be a first-team All-American since freshmen were allowed to play again in the 1971-72 season. He was also one of 10 three-time All-Americans: The others were Oscar Robertson, Bill Walton, Lew Alcindor, Pete Maravich, Patrick Ewing, Tom Gola, Jerry Lucas, David Thompson and Ralph Sampson. Ewing and Tisdale were the last to accomplish the feat, from 1983-85.
    Tisdale played on an Olympic team that sailed to the gold medal in Los Angeles. The squad was coached by Bob Knight and featured the likes of Ewing, Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins and Chris Mullin.
    "Wayman was kind of a catalyst for people accepting roles," said C.M. Newton, the manager of the '84 team and now chairman of the NIT selection committee. "Michael was the leader of the team but Wayman was special in that way. He had a great work ethic. He loved to play and was just fun to be around."
    Perkins and Tisdale shared a love of music and became fast friends during their Olympic experience. Perkins later was the best man at Tisdale's wedding.
    "That's a real friend who's got your back and would do just about anything for you," Perkins said. "That smile just gets you. He was upbeat all the time."
    Tisdale averaged 25.6 points and 10.1 rebounds during his three seasons with the Sooners, earning Big Eight Conference player of the year each season.
    He still holds Oklahoma's career scoring record with 2,661 points and career rebounding record with 1,048. Tisdale also owns the school's single-game scoring mark, a 61-point outing against Texas-San Antonio as a sophomore, along with career records in points per game, field goals and free throws made and attempts.
    In 1997, Tisdale became the first Oklahoma player in any sport to have his jersey number retired. Two years ago, then-freshman Blake Griffin asked Tisdale for permission to wear No. 23, which Tisdale granted. Griffin went on to become the consensus national player of the year this past season as a sophomore.
    "His basketball talent and accomplishments pale in comparison to the impact he had on the lives that he influenced by the way he lived his life, and the tremendous character he displayed in his fight with cancer," Capel said.
    "Throughout it all, he always had that infectious smile. This is an incredibly sad day as we have lost not only one of the greatest Sooners ever, but one of the all-time best people to walk the face of this earth."
    Tisdale is survived by his wife, Regina, and four children.

Source

I Enjoyed Watching Him Play As A Kid....Still Have Plenty Basketball Cards Of Him...

Rest In Peace...

Unhappy

How sad! Very talented player and a wonderful person I've heard!!!

Miss you Wayman, My Uncle lives in Norman Ok. When I was a senior in High School, we went to visit my Uncle and Aunt, This is my Uncle's second wife, who happened to be a coach or sponsor or something like that. She was involved with the OU Cheerleaders. This was our first visit to my Uncles new house in Norman, so we rang the doorbell we though we had the correct house, and we did. But at first we wondered, because the person who anwsered the door was tall young man, none other than Wayman Tisdale. He and his older brother William was at my Uncles house for supper, while visiting the OU Campus. Both the Tisdale brothers were a lot of fun to visit with. If I had only known then, the star he was going to become.

Quote Originally Posted by -Scar- View Post
    Source

I Enjoyed Watching Him Play As A Kid....Still Have Plenty Basketball Cards Of Him...

Rest In Peace...
    R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Miss you Wayman, My Uncle lives in Norman Ok. When I was a senior in High School, we went to visit my Uncle and Aunt, This is my Uncle's second wife, who happened to be a coach or sponsor or something like that. She was involved with the OU Cheerleaders. This was our first visit to my Uncles new house in Norman, so we rang the doorbell we though we had the correct house, and we did. But at first we wondered, because the person who anwsered the door was tall young man, none other than Wayman Tisdale. He and his older brother William was at my Uncles house for supper, while visiting the OU Campus. Both the Tisdale brothers were a lot of fun to visit with. If I had only known then, the star he was going to become.
    ....this world is not so big. R.I.P. Wayman

R. I. P.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png