Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: First Units (so far)

Default First Units (so far)

Here's how the Chiefs lined up with their first units during their first full-squad practice:

Offense
    QB - Matt Cassel
    RB - Larry Johnson
    FB - Mike Cox
    WR - Dwayne Bowe
    WR - Mark Bradley
    TE - Brad Cottam
    LT - Branden Albert
    LG - Wade Smith (for the absent Brian Waters)
    C - Rudy Niswanger
    RG - Mike Goff
    RT - Damion McIntosh

Defense
    LE - Tyson Jackson
    NT - Ron Edwards
    RE - Alex Magee (for the injured Glenn Dorsey)
    OLB - Monty Beisel (for the absent Mike Vrabel)
    ILB - Zach Thomas
    ILB - Derrick Johnson
    OLB - Tamba Hali
    CB - Brandon Flowers
    CB - Brandon Carr
    FS - Jarrad Page
    SS - Bernard Pollard

Starting lineups | Red Zone

Most interesting to me is Edwards at NT instead of Tank. Also Bradley instead of Engram at 2WR and that we're keeping Niswanger at C and Goff at RG, instead of vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    DON'T LIKE THIS TRADE, you want to send an all pro guard and a 2nd round pick, and a DE [still w/potential to be a starter] for a great WR that we can use but may not actually need. now if you find a starting NT out there, that would be worth lookin inta.
    You're trading a guard with two years left (tops), a project player (you overestimate Turk, by a long shot), and (probably) a low 2nd rounder for one of the best WRs in the game. Balto's right, it's a no-brainer.

I have nothing against either Bradley or Engram (both of whom have big injury question marks), but with Bowe and Boldin as our two starting WRs, we suddenly have a WR corps (and offense) to be feared.

And there's no good NT people would trade to us for that low a price. We're going to have to muddle through 2009 with Edwards/Tank until we draft our NTOTF in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    You're trading a guard with two years left (tops), a project player (you overestimate Turk, by a long shot), and (probably) a low 2nd rounder for one of the best WRs in the game. Balto's right, it's a no-brainer.

I have nothing against either Bradley or Engram (both of whom have big injury question marks), but with Bowe and Boldin as our two starting WRs, we suddenly have a WR corps (and offense) to be feared.

And there's no good NT people would trade to us for that low a price. We're going to have to muddle through 2009 with Edwards/Tank until we draft our NTOTF in 2010.
    I think Tank could be a very good NT for us, BUT if he flops I would be ALL FOR taking

Terrence Cody "DT/NT" from Alabama
    6'5 365 (lost 15 pounds, was at 380)

He would be a BEAST at NT.

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    I think Tank could be a very good NT for us, BUT if he flops I would be ALL FOR taking

I watch as many alabama games as possible and Cody is unbelievable. He is certainly a beast.
    IMO the combination of Edwards and Tank rotating at NT could be pretty good. I belive thoose two will roatate and stay fresh.as well as Jackson, Dorsey and McGee at DE.

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post

Yeah, Cody is who I was thinking of.

You have a lot more faith in Tank than I do. He did not look good one-on-one with OGs last year.

waters quit crying and get your but in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    waters quit crying and get your but in there.
    I think he will at the mandatories. Vrabel will be there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sn@keIze View Post
    I think he will at the mandatories. Vrabel will be there too.

Guess we will see hehe

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post

Your talking about an all pro guard who was unquestionably the best OL on one of the worst lines in the NFL. so ok lets trade him away and hope boldin is good at catching high fly balls cause our QB will be throwing while he's hitting the deck. our LT is as yet unproven, RT has been a problem, RG fair, C stll a ?, now remove a star LG you'll get pressure from both ends and up the middle. how will our QB be able to get the ball to Boldin??? now maybe in another year if some of the youngins develop we can afford to lose Waters but not now unless there are plans to add another sokid OL before this season. BTW Turk was a high 2nd round pick with a huge upside, don't underestimate his value to the right team. PIOLI would tell you 2nd roud picks are more coveted than first rounders since they have virtually the same success rate but at a much lower cost. again i agree boldin is an upgrade and is in the elite receivers discussion however is not a position of immediate need for us. we still have ? at DE, NT, LT, RG, RT, C, LB, FB

Your talking about an all pro guard who was unquestionably the best OL on one of the worst lines in the NFL. so ok lets trade him away and hope boldin is good at catching high fly balls cause our QB will be throwing while he's hitting the deck. our LT is as yet unproven, RT has been a problem, RG fair, C stll a ?, now remove a star LG you'll get pressure from both ends and up the middle. how will our QB be able to get the ball to Boldin??? now maybe in another year if some of the youngins develop we can afford to lose Waters but not now unless there are plans to add another sokid OL before this season. BTW Turk was a high 2nd round pick with a huge upside, don't underestimate his value to the right team. PIOLI would tell you 2nd roud picks are more coveted than first rounders since they have virtually the same success rate but at a much lower cost. again i agree boldin is an upgrade and is in the elite receivers discussion however is not a position of immediate need for us. we still have ? at DE, NT, LT, RG, RT, C, LB, FB

HUH? Pioli got TWO vet inner OL guys..... Goff and Ghiaciuc

Goff and Ghiaciuc BOTH can play EITHER center OR guard....

Pioli adding Ghiaciuc made me believe he was really going to shop Waters...

OL with out Waters:

LT: Albert/Taylor

LG: Goff/Ghiaciuc/Smith/Niswanger/Taylor

C: Niswanger/Ghiaciuc/Goff

RG: Ghiaciuc/Goff//Smith/Niswanger/H. Taylor/Richardson

RT: Mcintosh/Brown/Richardson

If anything we could use better LT/RT people (not much depth at LT)

Also, I think Taylor should be tried at LG... He is a a LEFT side OL guy and at his size (6'3 295) just seems to small for LT but SCREAMS LG!!!!

If the chiefs do send Waters packing I think we would be MORE then fine at all three (LG, C, RG) spots without him. RT is what really worries my still.

This could also be the year Smith shows what he's got? He was rated very high and is playing team 1's LG while Waters is home crying ATM. IF thats the case we are better off then I thought.

Albert----Smith/Taylor/Goff------Niswanger/Ghiaciuc----- --Goff/Richardson--------Mcintosh/Brown

LOL I hope some team gives us a 2nd for Waters.........

EDIT: Turk has done nothing for us in the 4-3 and will be even less of help as a OLB in the 3-4 hehe.

Tamba will surprise a LOT of people if he is able to pull off the rushing OLB spot, BUT if Turk can do the same he might win the most improved player of the year AND be the biggest Chiefs surprise in history!!!!
    Last edited by balto; 05-21-2009 at 02:01 PM.

If we lose Waters, we'll probably move Goff to LG, Niswanger to RG, and put Ghiaciuc at C. Not to mention, we'd probably go after a FA (Tauscher or Levi Jones) for the RT spot, maybe moving McIntosh inside. That isn't a great line, but it could keep Cassel upright.

We have a ton of needs on this team. Herm left the cupboard bare. But we don't need to replace 4 of our 5 OL (Albert and Goff, at least, are good starters). We don't need LB this year. We have three young DEs in Magee, Dorsey, and Jackson. And FB? Are you serious? Who cares about FB?

This isn't Madden. We can't offer a 2nd rounder, a project player, and an over-the-hill vet to get a good NT. We maybe can offer a 2nd rounder, a project player, and an over-the-hill vet to get a top flight WR.

And WR isn't a need for us so long as Engram and Bradley stay healthy. Engram and Bradley are not the most healthy WRs to play the game. I like them both, but you can't sugar coat that fact.

For some reason, some people think you can win games without talented players. You can't. Youth is not a replacement for talent. We put a young, untalented team on the field last season, and we were lucky to win two games. The dropoff between Waters and Niswanger/Goff isn't nearly as great as the dropoff between Boldin and Engram/Bradley.

This is the easiest call a team could make.

P.S. 2nd round picks do have a lot of value. Turk was a reach in the 2nd round and is a miserable pro. We wasted that pick. It's time to move on. The road's littered with potential talent that was never actual talent.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast