Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steeler Harrison's pit bull attacks young son

Thumbs down Steeler Harrison's pit bull attacks young son

12 mins ago

PITTSBURGH – A pit bull owned by Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison has reportedly attacked the player's young son, but police, hospital and team officials are releasing little information.

"We're aware of the situation, but it's a personal matter for James," Burt Lauten, spokesman for the Super Bowl champions told The Associated Press. "We won't be commenting further."

An unidentified neighbor told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette one of the star player's three dogs got loose Thursday and attacked the boy, James III. His age was not immediately available.

A Franklin Park police officer warned neighbors "to keep our children inside because (Mr. Harrison's) dog had bit somebody," the neighbor told the newspaper.

The dog was removed by an animal control agency.

A Franklin Park police spokeswoman on Friday said police are not commenting because the incident remains under investigation.

Neighbors told the newspaper that a second person also was hurt and that Harrison's son was taken to UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. A hospital spokesman said the family does not want information released.

Harrison lives about 15 miles north of the city.

In 2006, then-Steelers linebacker Joey Porter was cited by police in Pine Township, another suburb north of Pittsburgh, after two of his dogs got loose and killed a miniature horse on a nearby farm. Northern Regional Police said then that Porter's dogs were licensed in his hometown of Bakersfield, Calif., but not in Allegheny County.

Harrison is the NFL Defensive Player of the Year and scored on a 100-yard interception return in the team's 27-23 victory over Arizona in Super Bowl XLIII. He made headlines for declining to join the Steelers on a White House visit Thursday, though he passed up the same opportunity after the Steelers beat Seattle in Super bowl XL in 2006.
    Source

I Hate People That Raise This Beautiful Breed Of Dog Like This And Serve To Only Further Their Unfair And Undeserved Bad Reputation

Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by -Scar- View Post
    Pitbulls Arent As Bad As The Media Makes Them Out To Be...You Never Hear About The Positive Stories...

Pit bull takes bullet for family
    Pit bull gives life to save family
    Pit bull drags woman to safety
    Pit bull helps youngster to safety
    Pit bull saves child from being abducted
    Pit bull saves family, takes bullet
    Pit bull stops abduction

And There's Plenty More.

But A Pitbull Biting Someone Makes Headline News Daily...What About The Other Breeds That Bite People? Never Hear About Em Do Ya?
    True, the majority of pit bulls that are properly raised present no real danger to society, but they just seem to be too much of a wild card for me. That is just my, uneducated, opinion on the matter. I've come face to face with pit bulls that are ultra aggressive and would have, no doubt, torn me limb from limb had they not been restrained by a strong chain. I've, also, been approached by a pitt bull with it's owner who was as gentle and friendly as they come. So, yeah, how they are trained and treated has much to do with their temperament, however, when they for whatever reason turn aggressive toward people or other animals they are among the most vicious.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 05-25-2009 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    A year or two ago I had to write a paper about Pit Bulls in America, and through a great deal of research I found that somewhere around 60% of all dog attacks were made by Pit Bulls, and 90% of all dog attack Fatalities were from Pit Bull Attacks. So those numbers right there are why Pit Bulls are public enemy number 1 in the dog world.

With that said, I firmly believe its all on how you raise them, but with that said people in this country do not have enough common sense to raise a pit bull right, and the consequences of that is awful. But people need to keep in mind, these are not your run of the mill dogs, pit bulls are blazing fast, overly aggressive, practically all muscle, and have the strongest jaws of any dog, so when owning these dogs, the owners must be held accountable for the dogs actions. IMO!
    Well said!

Cesar Millan must be having a field day.

Time for boot camp James, waiting to see him on the Dog Whisperer.

But seriously; dog's a dog and James doesn't strike me as the type to take time with an animal, just going for the tough guy apperance.

I blame the handler in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by -Scar- View Post
    Pitbulls Arent As Bad As The Media Makes Them Out To Be...You Never Hear About The Positive Stories...

Pit bull takes bullet for family
    Pit bull gives life to save family
    Pit bull drags woman to safety
    Pit bull helps youngster to safety
    Pit bull saves child from being abducted
    Pit bull saves family, takes bullet
    Pit bull stops abduction

And There's Plenty More.

But A Pitbull Biting Someone Makes Headline News Daily...What About The Other Breeds That Bite People? Never Hear About Em Do Ya?
    Isn't that strange?

I don't think that you can blame the media, nor the breed of dog.

There is a huge reputation for pitbulls as being extra strong, and aggressive.

Rather it be the cause, or the effect, or both, if you are involved with dog-fighting, you want the strongest most feared breed, to ward-off threats.

If you want a strong fearful defender to watch over you, your family and you belongings, you want the strongest and most feared.

Therefore, a higher percentage, than less-feared breeds, will be placed in roles of violence, potential violence, and/or intimidation.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with the breed, over other large dogs. But I don't think that you can push the blame on the media as if they had somehow all come together to persecute one breed of dog unfairly.

You blame those who own the individual dog, as stated above.

Owning any large dog with children around is a risk. And if you have trained it to intimidate, then that raises the risk.

If you have trained it to be violent, then that raises the risk considerably.

If you are not certain of the dogs upbringing from birth, (Say you bought the dog at a year old) then that too raises the risk of the dog having an incident with violence.

i end up saying the same thing every time there is a "pitbull attack story". you have to understand that there is no greater incidence of attacks by pitbulls than chiuahua's. but when cute little muffin is nippin at your heel you just kick him away. when a pittbull bites your heel he crushes your ankle. that's why the reports seem to be more, not that there are more of them but they are more serious because of their bite strength. german shepards are responsible for just as many attacks but yet there is no call for the "police dog" to be banned. even the bite of the larger german shepard is no match for that of the pitbull. not a bad dog breed, just a dog breed with the jaws of an alligator.

It is very sad. I work at a large plumbing co. and our field supervisor went to a customers home yesterday....got out of his truck and was walking up to the house when a pit came out from the back of the home and started to attack. He was able to get back into his truck...however, not before the dog did some good damage to his leg. He has several gashes....where the dogs teeth ripped his leg.........OUCH!!!
    The sad thing is, the owner came out and could NOT get the dog to stop....and then wondered why our guy told him he wasn't going to return to his property. (The dog was indeed taken by animal control)

WHAT IF THIS HAD BEEN A CHILD WALKING BY THE HOME!! IT WOULD OF BEEN ANOTHER TERRIBLE OUTCOME!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12