Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chiefs tackle McIntosh is injured in practice

Post Chiefs tackle McIntosh is injured in practice

Chiefs tackle McIntosh is injured in practice

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. | The Chiefs laid bare their offseason priority for improvement in free agency by signing left tackle Damion McIntosh only hours after the market opened.

They may now have to play without McIntosh for an extended period. He was taken from the field on a motorized cart at Monday’s afternoon practice because of what the Chiefs called a right knee sprain.

Further tests were scheduled to determine the extent of the injury, but the Chiefs feared the worst. Coach Herm Edwards was already busy determining replacements from a short list that includes veteran Kyle Turley and inexperienced Will Svitek.

“We’ll talk about what we’re going to do short-term and long-term,” said Edwards, who then tried to put the situation in a better light.

“Remember last year and what happened to us on opening day?” he said, referring to quarterback Trent Green’s concussion. “We found a way to keep playing.”
    McIntosh, though, is one of the most indispensable of Chiefs. They never adequately covered the hole at left tackle last season after Willie Roaf’s abrupt retirement.

Turley began the season as the left tackle but was replaced by Jordan Black in the third game. Black finished the season there but the Chiefs were determined to find an upgrade.

They settled on McIntosh, a seven-year veteran with San Diego and Miami, and figured the problem was solved.

It was until Monday. Svitek replaced McIntosh at left tackle after his departure. Turley was busy filling in for right tackle Chris Terry, who has a minor shoulder injury and didn’t practice.

Turley was one of the league’s top tackles before back injuries forced him to miss two seasons. He returned to football last season with the Chiefs and started seven games, including five at right tackle.

Svitek, a sixth-round pick two years ago, has played tackle in only one NFL regular-season game.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    But he gets paid pretty good. Right?
    Please don't tell me you think Davis is a good left tackle?????

He's a guard. Played guard all through college. Bidwill was too stupid to play him at his normal position. Said he wouldn't pay a guard that much money. Well, we see where that got him!!!! He will play guard for Dallas not left tackle!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Please don't tell me you think Davis is a good left tackle?????

He's a guard. Played guard all through college. Bidwill was too stupid to play him at his normal position. Said he wouldn't pay a guard that much money. Well, we see where that got him!!!! He will play guard for Dallas not left tackle!!!
    My opinion of Davis is irrelevant. You said that you base the talent of offensive tackles on how well they are paid. I submit Davis as evidence that pay has little to do with ability. That's all.

My opinion of Davis is irrelevant. You said that you base the talent of offensive tackles on how well they are paid. I submit Davis as evidence that pay has little to do with ability. That's all.
    ....Ask Elvis Grbac, or rather ask anyone who ever saw him play.

We were speaking of left tackles, not guardes. If the position is as important as you think it is, why are there only a few with high salaries?

Let's hope Svitek is up to the challenge. We don't need another re-enactment of the Jordan Black Expressway like we had last year!
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

We were speaking of left tackles, not guardes. If the position is as important as you think it is, why are there only a few with high salaries?
    Use of my smilie is prohibited without my expressed written consent.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Use of my smilie is prohibited without my expressed written consent.

That does it! :sign0079:

Count 'em up. Over the past decade, or so, the position has been gaining that kind of financial respect. Leonard Davis' pay would have been based on his play at left tackle, since that is where he played last season. (even tough the Cowboys have moved him to G.) If you look around the league at the average pay of starting left tackles, you'll see that they are playing one of the "higher-priced" positions in football. But I don't think that it is wise to assume that a players contract is equivalent to his abilities, nor performance.

Count 'em up. Over the past decade, or so, the position has been gaining that kind of financial respect. Leonard Davis' pay would have been based on his play at left tackle, since that is where he played last season. (even tough the Cowboys have moved him to G.) If you look around the league at the average pay of starting left tackles, you'll see that they are playing one of the "higher-priced" positions in football. But I don't think that it is wise to assume that a players contract is equivalent to his abilities, nor performance.

Agreed; however, bonuses and incentives within a contract do reflect the expectation of said abilities, not necessarily base pay though. JMOH

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast