Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still no answers.

Default Still no answers.

Today, I mentally put myself in the shoes of Herm Edwards and realized how much it must suck for him every time someone asks about the starting quarterback job for the Chiefs. I honestly think he doesn't know. After watching the first preseason game, I don't know either. I didn't really see much at all from either Brodie Croyle or Damon Huard-- other than a pick for each of them... I do think it's good to get those kind of mental errors our of the way in the preaseason, though. I'm fairly confident that either guy who gets chosen for the job will improve his skills into the regular season.

Neither guy came out with a gem last night but the main reason we didn't see so much from either QB was the offensive playcalling. While they did pass the ball, all of the passes were for short yardage, and they didn't try to stretch the defense by going vertical. The plays being called may as well have been run plays.

Sometimes they work great but the screens are not as effective in our system now as previous years. Yes, I did see them try a few slants and such, but our receivers need to learn to hold on to the ball on the quick pass. Brodie and Damon both have an NFL-sized gun but those dudes get paid to catch those bullets.

Again, it's the preseason, I'm not really all that disappointed. I expect the Chiefs will get some mistakes out during the preseason, build on what they have, and move forward as an improved team into the regular season. The defense looked strong and I am anxious to see what this unit is going to be capable of. I hope to see Priest actually get in and get a few game reps before the regular season. However, Michael Bennet is a solid back and was about the only thing on the Chiefs offense that I could really enjoy watching last night. I also have a skeptical eye on Bowe, interested to to see what he will ultimately bring to the table.

As far as the quarterback position goes... I don't think anybody knows. I think coach Edwards said that Huard will start the next preseason game against the Dolphins. That one should be interesting all around. I hope our guys dont kill Trent, I just want them to stop him...
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    I hope our guys dont kill Trent, I just want them to stop him...
    Trent got boo'ed off the field lastnight. I like Trent, but I hope the Chiefs give him another tough night.

Neither guy came out with a gem last night but the main reason we didn't see so much from either QB was the offensive playcalling. While they did pass the ball, all of the passes were for short yardage, and they didn't try to stretch the defense by going vertical. The plays being called may as well have been run plays.
    Agreed although Huard, in his defense, was on the field with the second team offense, and there was one pass down field by Croyle that fell incomplete.

Nice article! :)
    Last edited by Chiefster; 08-12-2007 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post

Sometimes they work great but the screens are not as effective in our system now as previous years. Yes, I did see them try a few slants and such, but our receivers need to learn to hold on to the ball on the quick pass. Brodie and Damon both have an NFL-sized gun but those dudes get paid to catch those bullets.

I thought the offense did not look good at all. You're right, Croyle or Huard did not do themselves any favors. As far as play calling, don't expect many vertical plays from Herm, that's not his style. He's a conservative type of coach. And with the receivers we have right now, who can blame him. Gonzalez and Kennison is our only trusted receivers and Kennison is really only a possesion receiver and we still don't know what Bowe will provide and how soon he will be able to get into the line up.

I thought the defense played very well. Even the 2nd and 3rd stringers. So, that's encouraging. But if the offense doesn't improve those boys on defense will be out there a long time and that won't be a good situation.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

But if the offense doesn't improve those boys on defense will be out there a long time and that won't be a good situation.
    Particularly as the season wears on; the defense will be depleted and beat up.

Yep. We could be the Dolphins... Or, we could wind-up being the Bears. Omly time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR Chiefs fan View Post
    I thought the offense did not look good at all. You're right, Croyle or Huard did not do themselves any favors. As far as play calling, don't expect many vertical plays from Herm, that's not his style. He's a conservative type of coach. And with the receivers we have right now, who can blame him. Gonzalez and Kennison is our only trusted receivers and Kennison is really only a possesion receiver and we still don't know what Bowe will provide and how soon he will be able to get into the line up.

I thought the defense played very well. Even the 2nd and 3rd stringers. So, that's encouraging. But if the offense doesn't improve those boys on defense will be out there a long time and that won't be a good situation.
    You're right. Unfortunately so about Herm being scared of the long ball. I honestly think the biggest hinderance this year on offense will be the playcalling. Even if we gets LJ signed, teams are just going to stack up on us because they know we are going to run or throw a screen every time. It doesn't take much for a defense to do thier jobs when they know what's coming all the time.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by OTR Chiefs fan View Post

It was only the first preseason game. I have watched a lot of football this weekend and nobodys offence looked good at all. The "conservative offence" is what everyone is complaining about, but that offence is what is going to keep our defece off the field. Run, run, run...is time off the clock. I accepted a while ago that this is gonna be a team with an average O and a kick *** D. That is the football i want to see. If we are going to judge preseason performances, then we are on par with everyone else, but put a fullback in there so we have an extra blocker and I still think we are gonna surprise some people!! now...
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Yep. We could be the Dolphins... Or, we could wind-up being the Bears. Omly time will tell.
    Given the choice between the two; I opt for the bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Given the choice between the two; I opt for the bears.
    Colts..
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast