Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real news about Player practice performances and more!! Courtesy of Bob Gretz

Default Finally Some Real News!!!!

OTA Update 6/1

June 1, 2009 - Bob Gretz |
    From the Truman Sports Complex

The Chiefs had OTA session No. 5 on Monday morning and 82 of the team’s 85 players were on the field working in the 90-minute session.
    Missing were G Brian Waters, LB Mike Vrabel and rookie CB Donald Washington, who cannot attend until Ohio State finishes its spring semester.
    On the field working out, but not participating in the team portion of practice were QB Brodie Croyle, DL Glenn Dorsey, RB Kolby Smith and WR Mark Bradley. DT Ron Edwards also did not participate in the team work.
    With Edwards and Dorsey not taking part, Tank Tyler went with the first team defense at nose tackle and rookie Alex Magee was the starter at right defensive end.
    RB Larry Johnson and OLB Tamba Hali who missed OTA No. 4 right before Memorial Day were back on the field and working with the first-team offense and defense.
    Here are a few other observations from the workout:

– In the red zone seven-on-seven passing drill, Tyler Thigpen threw the ball well, making some quick decisions and delivering the ball with power. He hit WR Rodney Wright for a nice TD pass as Wright beat CB Maurice Leggett.

– The kickers were very active on field goals throughout the practice and while we couldn’t chart every kick, rookie Ryan Succop looked like he was having a good day. He was six-for-six from 43 yards away with a nice cross breeze coming from his right to left. He then hit a 51-yarder. Connor Barth hit an upright from close in on one of his FG attempts and went three of four from 43 yards, missing wide right.

– CB Ricardo Colclough got a nice jump on a throw to WR Taurus Johnson and knocked the ball out of his hands. On the next play, Colclough almost did the same thing, but WR Quinten Lawrence was able to hold onto the ball for a nice catch.

– CB Brandon Carr closed on a slant throw to WR Dwayne Bowe and arrived at the spot of the catch at the same time as Bowe and the ball. These are non-contact drills and while the hit would have been much more vicious if the play had come in the game, there was a good collision. Bowe held onto the ball.

– RB Jackie Battle got some snaps with the No. 2 offense ahead of RB Jamaal Charles. Battle looked good on several runs.

– RB Larry Johnson was back at work and had several nice runs as well, including a sweep to the right side where LT Branden Albert pulled and led the charge.

– ILB Zach Thomas made a nice play on a draw, shutting it down for what would have been negative yardage.

– In the team work session in the red zone, QB Matt Cassel hit his first two passes for TDs, throwing to Bowe and WR Bobby Engram.

– In that red zone session, safety DaJuan Morgan was able to break up a throw from Thigpen to Johnson.

From all of the training camp stuff I've been reading. 2 names constantly come up: Quinton Lawrence ( the rookie speedster at WR) and Brandon Carr. Based on this report by Bob, it sounds like the Rookie Kicker is giving Conner Barth some competition to say the least. I also liked the fact that Cassell and Thiggy both looked great. Also a surprise, Battle playing with the second team over a healthy Jamal Charles. Maybe not a big deal in OTA's, but come friday, I dont think Jamal will like that. Only negative here would be that Dorsey is still practicing with the injured guys. Well, hope you guys like it.
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 06-02-2009 at 12:39 AM.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Good post!!! By the end of the week we'll know even I can see picking up either Jones or Traucher(sp?) to play RT. Both are good, but injury prone. If Waters doesn't show it will probally move Niswanger to LG.

finally some football info, thanx Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    finally some football info, thanx Big Daddy
    Agreed, I was ready for some football info and less player rumors. OTA's are looking good.

I agree, good post

Excellent post!

I think Haley is just pushing Charles, but at the same time seeing what he can get from a confident Battle.

There are big plans for Charles, anyone know has studied running backs, can see that charles is a special player who can take it all the way.

Not to mention he blocks, and catches, at his size, his 36 yarder up the sideline from thiggy for 6 where he dodged a few defenders is identical to a play he made in college...

his play in college translates to his play in the nfl.

hes a td machine waiting to happen, especially if Williams can turn into a brandon jacobs type bruiser. Or say LJ decides to actually earn his money in that role...Charles will excel as the lightning.

This

Anyone know why Vrabel still isn't doing anything on the field?

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    Anyone know why Vrabel still isn't doing anything on the field?
    Slowly transitioning? Waiting for mandatory? Is exempt from OTA (optional team activities) as a veteran player from a winning program? Etc...?

I think anyone of those situations, or combination of them, could be the main reason as to why Vrabel isn't at the OTAs. I don't really see it as a problem thus far. All we've heard is

1) Vrabel isn't physically there
    2) Doesn't appear spiteful or P.O.'d that he's in KC
    3) Is working out on his own time and dime while he's not at OTAs

I bet Vrabel has a copy of the playbook and, apparently, is in contact with the staff so I don't think he'll be too far behind the 8-ball when it comes to knowing what he needs to know. While he will be behind when it comes time to putting what he knows into action on the field and when he finally does meet the rest of the team, I don't think his personality will be a detriment to that process either.

I don't follow the Pats or what they do or have done in the offseason so I don't know the specifics of Vrabel's off the field work eithic, but I've heard and read great things about it and him in general. He has Pioli's and Haley's full support so I doubt he shows up like Will Franklin when the time comes for him to put the pedal to the metal. Until we hear something new or until the mandatory mini camps and practices being full swing I personally don't believe there is a problem.

That being said the only person I'm concerned about is Brian Waters.
    Last edited by DT14PRIEST; 06-02-2009 at 10:20 PM.

I liked Haley's last comment on the press conference:

"It's a mandatory camp, so I'm assuming everyone will be there"

With him, that seems like a bit of a warning to a guy like Waters, but who knows.

jb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast