Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some More "real" News; Another mini camp update

Default Some More "real" News; Another mini camp update

Mini-Camp Update 6/6 P.M.

June 6, 2009 - Bob Gretz |
    From the Truman Sports Complex
    Practice No. 4 went down Saturday afternoon, as the Chiefs wrapped up Day No. 2 of their three-day mini-camp. I’m going to bet head coach Todd Haley wasn’t very happy with his offense when this one was over.
    The team got on the field earlier than expected because their annual meeting with NFL Security was over quicker than scheduled. Somebody must have forgotten to tell the offensive side, because they were out of synch and out of sorts throughout the session.
    In the seven-on-seven passing drill, the football was on the ground more than it was in receivers hands. CBs Maurice Leggett and Ricardo Colclough both had interceptions. It was the second time on the day that Leggett had picked off QB Matt Cassel. There were several other near interceptions, a handful of dropped passes and what seemed like plenty of mental mistakes from the offense.
    Things got worse in the teamwork portion of the practice. The Chiefs ran 12 plays and only three gained more than a few yards. There were two near interceptions by the defense, which twice snuffed out screen passes behind the line of scrimmage. The last play of teamwork and the practice ended with a shotgun snap from C Rudy Niswanger sailing over the head of Cassel.
    There were 83 players on the field for the afternoon session; LB Monty Beisel was missing again as he was attending the wedding of his brother. Absent from the afternoon session was TE Tony Curtis, who was getting married Saturday evening. Congratulations to Curtis!
    From that group, 79 took part in the practice work, as the rehab brigade continued on another field. It’s no picnic on the sidelines during practice for the injured. Those who are far enough along in their rehab to be able to move about are put through extensive drills by the strength and conditioning coaches. Sometimes, it looks like they are getting more work in than the guys who are actually practicing.
    Some other observations from the afternoon session:

– On special teams, the club worked on field goal situations including what the defense should do after a blocked FG goes across the line of scrimmage or stays behind the line. The defense also worked on reacting to fake field goals.

– Kickers Connor Barth and Ryan Succop were both four-for-four on FGs from 32, 39, 43 and 45 yards. That was a pretty good effort given that there was a strong wind out of the southeast blowing into the practice fields. It was at the kickers back, but blowing from left to right.

– The Chiefs worked more on throwing the ball in this session than running. RB Larry Johnson ran several very nice routes, including one where he badly beat S Jarrad Page. But Johnson couldn’t pull down the high throw. RB Dantrell Savage got behind LB Corey Mays with a burst of speed on a long pass that was overthrown. WR Rodney Wright had a nice play, beating CB Brandon Flowers on a deep ball. FB Jed Collins made a real nice catch down field.

– Veteran RG Mike Goff again schooled No. 1 pick DE Tyson Jackson in the one-on-one pass protection drill, easily handling the younger player on three consecutive snaps. But third-round pick Alex Magee had three nice pass rushes going against LG Wade Smith. Things were different later when Magee went head-to-head against Brian Waters.

It looks like Mike Goss is going to turn out to be a great pickup. Wade Smith has shown why we desperatly needed Brian Waters to show up. Our line might be good guys!! Also, I like how are kickers are going at each other. You know what they say, competition breeds excellence. Last but not least, good to see my guy Legget making plays. Go Leggett!!

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Looks like the same old from our offense. Hopefully Cassel and the rest of the offense can get on the same page and PLEASE stop dropping balls!
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Hopefully its the defense being really good and NOT the offense being really bad. Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Looks like the same old from our offense. Hopefully Cassel and the rest of the offense can get on the same page and PLEASE stop dropping balls!
    "Same old"? It was one practice, and in another of the mini camp practices, it sounded like they were kicking arse, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

In fact, our passing was the bright spot last season, so "same old" wouldn't seem to be appropriate. Now running straight ahead into the interior line for a loss or 1 yard gain- that would seem very Herm-ish (We'd call that the "Protecting a lead in the 4th quarter" drill).

JB

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    "Same old"? It was one practice, and in another of the mini camp practices, it sounded like they were kicking arse, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

In fact, our passing was the bright spot last season, so "same old" wouldn't seem to be appropriate. Now running straight ahead into the interior line for a loss or 1 yard gain- that would seem very Herm-ish (We'd call that the "Protecting a lead in the 4th quarter" drill).

JB
    It's easy to do well in practice, the fact that the offense wasn't SHOULD be a red flag, even if for a day. If you wanna say that our offense was good last season, go ahead, but it wasn't.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

it was one practice, in early June...

Screw offense

Our D is our main concern. It was lousy on historical preportions .

That being said. No big deal. too early. This is just somethin for people to write about.

Default update 6/ AM

www.kcchiefs.com Q&A with Todd Haley

www.bobgretz.com bob's veiw of mini wrap up.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post

Nice add-on. My guy Leggett is starting ahead of Carr? Cool. I like Carr, but I always thought they should give Leggett a chance to compete and see what happens. The dude has skills!

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post

You know... despite the fact that he has answered the same way every time, I find it a bit annoying that the reporters continue to ask Todd Haley questions about contracts, deals, etc.

I would assume it's close to the same group of reporters (if not the exact same) every day, right?

jb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast