Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06/10/2009

Default 06/10/2009

www.bobgretz.com

This morning Bob talks about the defense and how versatile it will be. This worries me because the cardinals last year had the same problem we are going to have this year. A lack of team speed on the defense. Pendagrast tried to cover it up last year by playing multiple schemes and the Cardinals never became good at any of them. If he tries the same thing here it will probably be with the same results. I hope he limits the number of schemes to the number his players can not only learn but can play extremely well.

Well according to Bob (love that guy and his site!!) the defense is the Unit that has improved the most. So i remain confident..
    The problem last year was also that everyone and their mother knew exactly what the defense was going to do.. It might take them a year or more to excell in that type of defense, maybe we need some new players in some positions too.
    I'll take that over last year any day of the week. Atleast it should be interresting to watch! :)

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    www.bobgretz.com

This morning Bob talks about the defense and how versatile it will be. This worries me because the cardinals last year had the same problem we are going to have this year. A lack of team speed on the defense. Pendagrast tried to cover it up last year by playing multiple schemes and the Cardinals never became good at any of them. If he tries the same thing here it will probably be with the same results. I hope he limits the number of schemes to the number his players can not only learn but can play extremely well.
    We don't have the personnel (yet) to run the 3-4 extremely well. We have questions at FS, OLB, NT, and even DE (can Dorsey perform?). We'll be light years better than in 2008 (simply because it would be hard to be worse), but our defense is not going to be great for at least a couple seasons.

We're going to try everything under the sun to disguise the fact that our DL will (probably) have trouble stopping the run, given that Jackson and Magee are rookies, Dorsey's trying a new spot, and Tank/Edwards will be our NT. Our DL doesn't strike fear in anybody right now, although it will in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    Our defense has been the reason we have been losing games over the last 3 years or so and last year we couldn't stop an infant from scoring at will. The defensive changes that we have made in this off season will do more good than you anticipate. I don't think we will have a great D by any means but the simple fact that a new scheme is in place and new players brought in means that every team on our schedule has no idea how to attack our D effectively and won't know until some film is made during game play. Anyone besides the KC coaching staff and maybe Scott Pioli that thinks they can predict how good they will be is basically guessing and my guess is, they will
    be much better than last year in all phases of Defense.
    Herm Edwards' gametime calls were another reasons. He's been gone almost five months, and I still hate him with the fire of a thousand suns for what he did to this team.

Of course our defense will be better than last year. I said we'd be better in my post. We have some size (finally) on the DL, we're running a scheme that isn't completely retarded, and guys like Pollard, Carr, and Flowers have an extra year under their belt. That being said, we probably aren't a top-10 defense yet by any means. We have too many questions at too many positions, and too much youth at too many crucial spots.

And a new scheme goes both ways. It'll be harder for opposing teams to gameplan, but it will take time for our guys to adapt.

If we finish in the top half of the league on defense, especially in run defense, it'll spell great things for us in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    I agree with most of what you said here but you keep going to 2010, we need to think right now, the team can get it done right now . If they were to think 2 years from now we would get no where, I believe in right now it serves me well in what I do in my music. I have alot of friends that keep going out and buying new guitars and new gear for their home studios in the hope that down the road they will have some success, meanwhile I am dealing with what I have right now and I am doing a Cd for a band here in my studio, I don't have the shining new drum set or guitar for bands to come in and use, they must bring their own stuff but I can get a Cd done right now. Translating this to football is a bit different and a bit mor expensive but like I think, Scott Pioli also thinks right now which is why he has had the success he has had. He is building a team that will begin to get the job done in 2009, we may not win it all but I BELIEVE that we will be in the playoffs and I BELIEVE that we may be alot better than most people think we will be.
    I BELIEVE
    The battle between realism and homerism rages on......

I'll stay out of this one, but I will say that I agree with everything JML is saying, including the amount of time it'll take to get our defense up to snuff. You guys just need to remember, our defense was DEAD LAST in so many categories, even setting records! I think that our defense should be ranked in the 20-25 range. Compared to last season, it'll be like we're actually seeing a defense that belongs on the field!
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

I guess I wasn't very clear in my statement, because jamerson was correct in most of what he is saying. My statement should have said, "limit the number of schemes to the amount your players can learn to play at the best of their ability. Although I believe our "D" will be better than last year, there are question about NT, DE. We are Probably a play maker or two short at LB and in reality since a 3-4 requires the DB's to play mostly man to man we can't be sure about all of our DB's

2010- baby steps, baby steps. cannot do it all in a year.

The only way to actually be better is to build our D for now. Confidence is built on successes....

Preach it Brother.........

Gotta be honest, that's getting

Real annoying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast