Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denver QB Kyle Orton Named As Starter

Post Denver QB Kyle Orton Named As Starter

Denver Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels has named Kyle Orton his starting quarterback. Orton had been competing with Chris Simms for the job throughout the off-season. Orton, who was acquired from the Chicago Bears on April 3 as part of the Jay Cutler trade, was named the starter with two days remaining in the Broncos' off-season minicamp training program.

Source: Mike Klis, Denver Post

Nothing surprising here.

As a matter of fact. Id be willing to pick this guy up in my fantasy.

Look at his line and wide out arsenal.

Granted he had the Bears D. But he took the Bears to the SB for crying out loud.

We could have serious problems with this guy pulling the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Sn@keIze View Post
    Nothing surprising here.

As a matter of fact. Id be willing to pick this guy up in my fantasy.

Look at his line and wide out arsenal.

Granted he had the Bears D. But he took the Bears to the SB for crying out loud.

We could have serious problems with this guy pulling the trigger.
    Rex Grossman took the Bears to the Superbowl

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    Rex Grossman took the Bears to the Superbowl
    For real?! I thought he lost his starter job to Orton. oh well i still think Orton is the better QB.

For real?! I thought he lost his starter job to Orton. oh well i still think Orton is the better QB.
    I don't know if this is sarcasm or a genuine question but I'll bite. Rex took the bears to the Superbowl that year then lost his starting job to Orton the following year after his miserable performance decline.

Edit: Kyle Orton proved to be the lesser of 2 evils but he has not even (nor will he ever) come close to flashing the potential that Jay Cutler had. All in all the team(s) that made out in this deal were:

A) The Bears
    B) The rest of the AFC West

The losers...well...I doubt I have to point out who drew the short straw in this situation
    Last edited by DT14PRIEST; 06-13-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    I don't know if this is sarcasm or a genuine question but I'll bite. Rex took the bears to the Superbowl that year then lost his starting job to Orton the following year after his miserable performance decline.

Edit: Kyle Orton proved to be the lesser of 2 evils but he has not even (nor will he ever) come close to flashing the potential that Jay Cutler had. All in all the team(s) that made out in this deal were:

A) The Bears
    B) The rest of the AFC West

The losers...well...I doubt I have to point out who drew the short straw in this situation
    No it wasnt sarcasm. You're right about Grossman starting.

But I do think Orton is the better QB because he manages the game.

I never implied that he was a Jay Cutler tho.

No it wasnt sarcasm. You're right about Grossman starting.

But I do think Orton is the better QB because he manages the game.

I never implied that he was a Jay Cutler tho.
    The problem (for the Broncos, not us) is that managing the game isn't going to win them a whole lot of games. They previously installed the personnel for a vertical offense that could outscore other teams. You're not going to keep your stud WRs very happy now running a bunch of eight yard hooks because your QBs arm is weak, not to mention that Orton has a terrible habit of getting his WRs clobbered over the middle. Also, the Broncos line isn't bad, but Shanahan and that coaching staff made it look a whole lot more talented than it is (see the Colts for another team where OL coaching overcame talent gaps).

Not to mention that I'm curious to see how good Marshall and Royal look without a stud QB on the roster (my predicition is that they'll be the next Deion Branch and David Givens). Marshall is unhappy as it is, and he's not going to play through the pain for the likes of Josh McDaniels.

I'm not trying to say Orton is a bad QB. But he's been only adequate when he had a ferocious defense, a good OL, and a good RB. He doesn't have those in Denver. Their defense is putrid, their RB situation is unsettled (to put it lightly), and don't be shocked when their OL falls apart.

Denver has 2-14 written all over it. They had a terrible draft, bad free agency (their defensive pickups are massively overrated), a bad defense, and a game manager for a QB. They are going to be a very bad team for a very long time. Which makes me very happy.

But you are right, I'd rather have Orton than Grossman. In a way I feel bad for Grossman. He never had a legitimate WR, his OL was always one big question mark, and Lovie Smith is not the best game coach. But he just could never handle the pressure of being a NFL QB. Orton doesn't have his physical skills, but he can handle the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    Marshall has not shown up for the first 2 mandatory mini-camps for the Donks and is not happy at all. NFL Network reported that earlier today but had no specific details why. If I hear anything about it I will comment further. I hope Marshall flops for them and the Donks fall on their a$$.
    If the Donks have any brains (and I think the past few months show that they don't), they'll trade Marshall. Soon. Like tomorrow. They can definitely get a 2nd rounder from most teams, or maybe even a 1st from the Cowboys, Redskins, or Vikings (NFC teams that think they're only a WR away).

Marshall isn't showing up because he's making too little money to get killed catching eight yard passes from Kyle Orton. He's in his contract year, and he has a history of injuries. He's going to have a bad year (probably) no matter what given the new offensive scheme that emphasizes a short passing game and multiple receivers, the weak-armed QB, and the rookie HC. If he can force a big contract or a trade (which would almost necessarily get him a big contract), he'd be crazy not to try it. Plus he's more than likely still p!ssed at the utter stupidity of trading Cutler for picks, and then using their 1st rounder on a RB.

I normally think teams are dumb to trade good/great players in their primes to rebuild. In a perfect world, Marshall would have been a cornerstone for them for the next seven years. But McDaniels has already screwed up their offense beyond all recognition. The last thing they need is Marshall doing a poor man's Randy Moss-in-Oakland routine. The Broncos are going to have to totally rebuild most of the team from the ground up. Most people just don't realize it yet.

...Bumped this to The Locker Room.

No doubt he would be the starter. He has no competition. Either way, I think the Donks will suck this year.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast