Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs are still out of shape!!

Default Chiefs are still out of shape!!

Bob Gretz reported that the players went through a physical test at the last practise:
    "The conditioning test has the players run 50 yards three times, then a one-minute break, then 50 yards three more times, a one-minute break, and then 50 yards three more times. The little guys like defensive backs and wide receivers have to run under 55 seconds. The running backs, tight ends, quarterbacks, linebackers have to do it in 58 seconds and the big boys on the offensive and defensive line get 62 seconds."

Now i looked at the numbers and thought they were pretty high for top athletes. and i was right. The DB's averaged a speed about 9,82 km/h.

I'm not in that good of a shape but when I run I have a average speed of 14 km/h. I don't get paid to play any sort of sport. How in the world would this ever be a test for at top athlete. I don't even run that slow when I warm up!!

I have a friend that layed in bet for 2 years because of a illness. When she got better she tryed to run 3km and did it in 17 min. Thats an average speed of 10,5..

Now my question is. What kind of test is this for top athletes. If we are in better shape how much of an professional is the chiefs players if they aren't in better shape? No wonder we couldn't cut it in the 4th quarter last year!!

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    they were just to damn used to playing for a soft coach . Those days are over for Chiefs players.
    yes, dam striaght
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    This is one of the dumber things I've seen lately. You have to be incredibly fit to meet those standards. 450 yards is a little over one quarter of a mile. The world record for the 400 meter, which is one lap around the track is in the neighborhood of 43 seconds, again at a distance a little under what is being demanded of these athletes. Take into account that they're going to spend maybe half that distance accelerating to full speed and aren't allowed any type of flow or rhythm and that 55 seconds becomes impressive. I'd bet that the fittest person in the world would have trouble breaking 50 seconds for that trial.
    Exactly right! I don't think they are "out of shape" at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Agreed, there is time to get into shape.
    Their first day of practice is Aug. 1 so they have about about 6 weeks "off". We will see how they use their time to get in shape.

Anyone knows that if you try to bust your tail in 4-6 weeks to get in shape you can overtrain and usually become more injury prone.

These guys want top money as professionals yet they don't do the right things in their off season. I understand the need for time off but due to the nature of this business and the short shelf life, I have a hard time swallowing that. It is an excuse.

Anyone can have a workout schedule as maintenance.

Look at folks like Cris Carter, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Bill Romanowski, TO and a whole host of others in which we knew they had rigorous off season workout regimens and look at their record for injuries.

From what I have seen over the past 5 years or so, there are more players getting injured at the beginning of the season than ever before. I attribute a vast portion of it to poor conditioning.

IMO, in today's NFL, were players are bigger, stronger and faster, a program of strict a maintenance would be a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    IMO, in today's NFL, were players are bigger, stronger and faster, a program of strict a maintenance would be a necessity.
    Yep but here's the deal in my opinion...

Today, they can get bigger, stronger and faster much easier than in the past due to the advanced training techniques and the readily available supplements (legal or illegal).

Also, I see a drive to compete for the HUGE paycheck, then they lay down afterwards. Sorry, but I done some analysis on this last year and seen that this is more factual than not. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying ALL do this but it was very interesting to see how quite a few did.

I also noticed that players in their final contract year busted their behinds...LOL!

If you are a fantasy football player, don't base your draft soley on high output players. Look at their money factor as well! lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Yep but here's the deal in my opinion...

Today, they can get bigger, stronger and faster much easier than in the past due to the advanced training techniques and the readily available supplements (legal or illegal).

Also, I see a drive to compete for the HUGE paycheck, then they lay down afterwards. Sorry, but I done some analysis on this last year and seen that this is more factual than not. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying ALL do this but it was very interesting to see how quite a few did.

I also noticed that players in their final contract year busted their behinds...LOL!

If you are a fantasy football player, don't base your draft soley on high output players. Look at their money factor as well! lmao!
    I agree with a lot of players laying down after signing the big contract and think I posted about being wary about Haynesworth for that reason. IMO the players who stay in shape year round play longer.

Their first day of practice is Aug. 1 so they have about about 6 weeks "off". We will see how they use their time to get in shape.

Anyone knows that if you try to bust your tail in 4-6 weeks to get in shape you can overtrain and usually become more injury prone.

These guys want top money as professionals yet they don't do the right things in their off season. I understand the need for time off but due to the nature of this business and the short shelf life, I have a hard time swallowing that. It is an excuse.

Look at folks like Cris Carter, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Bill Romanowski, TO and a whole host of others in which we knew they had rigorous off season workout regimens and look at their record for injuries.

From what I have seen over the past 5 years or so, there are more players getting injured at the beginning of the season than ever before. I attribute a vast portion of it to poor conditioning.
    Hey, you forgot the biggest name of all on that list.

Tony Gonzalez.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Injuries will happen to even the best of conditioned athletes, but agree that poor or no conditioning greatly increases the risk of injury early and often.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    Here is the deal and it doesn't change whether you like it or not,
    If you want the big money pay off and you want to last in the NFL you have to accept that your signing your next 20 yrs or so away so you can get it. The responsibility to that is you have to make a schedule that supports keeping yourself in football shape 24-7-365 and you don't take a break until your done playing football or you just don't look for the long term big pay off. It takes serious dedication and dicipline to achieve what the Rice's and Paytons and every SUPERSTAR that you can think of in the NFL or NFL Hall of Fame achieve. There is no saying ,"I have time to get BACK into shape." IMO that is just not a serious attitude toward being part of the elite of the NFL.
    Great comeback Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Great comeback Chris!
    I didn't know Chris had ever left. :p

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast