Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs are still out of shape!!

Default Chiefs are still out of shape!!

Bob Gretz reported that the players went through a physical test at the last practise:
    "The conditioning test has the players run 50 yards three times, then a one-minute break, then 50 yards three more times, a one-minute break, and then 50 yards three more times. The little guys like defensive backs and wide receivers have to run under 55 seconds. The running backs, tight ends, quarterbacks, linebackers have to do it in 58 seconds and the big boys on the offensive and defensive line get 62 seconds."

Now i looked at the numbers and thought they were pretty high for top athletes. and i was right. The DB's averaged a speed about 9,82 km/h.

I'm not in that good of a shape but when I run I have a average speed of 14 km/h. I don't get paid to play any sort of sport. How in the world would this ever be a test for at top athlete. I don't even run that slow when I warm up!!

I have a friend that layed in bet for 2 years because of a illness. When she got better she tryed to run 3km and did it in 17 min. Thats an average speed of 10,5..

Now my question is. What kind of test is this for top athletes. If we are in better shape how much of an professional is the chiefs players if they aren't in better shape? No wonder we couldn't cut it in the 4th quarter last year!!

ahh my bad it was 55 sek for the hole 450 yards...thats more like it..but still not impressive

Quote Originally Posted by budde View Post
    ahh my bad it was 55 sek for the hole 450 yards...thats more like it..but still not impressive
    This is one of the dumber things I've seen lately. You have to be incredibly fit to meet those standards. 450 yards is a little over one quarter of a mile. The world record for the 400 meter, which is one lap around the track is in the neighborhood of 43 seconds, again at a distance a little under what is being demanded of these athletes. Take into account that they're going to spend maybe half that distance accelerating to full speed and aren't allowed any type of flow or rhythm and that 55 seconds becomes impressive. I'd bet that the fittest person in the world would have trouble breaking 50 seconds for that trial.

Thanks Aussie!

Another point, 3km in 17 minutes isn't impressive by serious athletic standards, it is impressive for somebody recovering from serious illness just to run that lenght though. Running the 5k in 17 minutes would probably be a better number for WR's and the like, though distance training isn't really football style.

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    This is one of the dumber things I've seen lately. You have to be incredibly fit to meet those standards. 450 yards is a little over one quarter of a mile. The world record for the 400 meter, which is one lap around the track is in the neighborhood of 43 seconds, again at a distance a little under what is being demanded of these athletes. Take into account that they're going to spend maybe half that distance accelerating to full speed and aren't allowed any type of flow or rhythm and that 55 seconds becomes impressive. I'd bet that the fittest person in the world would have trouble breaking 50 seconds for that trial.
    I agree especially if they are running down and back and down because they are stopping twice and turning around 3 times as well as running.

If they are doing a routine like this, then apparently they are out of shape. LMAO!

As professionals, you would tend to think they would come more prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    If they are doing a routine like this, then apparently they are out of shape. LMAO!

As professionals, you would tend to think they would come more prepared.
    Not really, athletic organizations from youth to professional have benchmark tests like this. I've played soccer (couldn't do fball as well, picked the one I was best at :( ) from youth and on into college, there have always been fitness tests, stretching from offseason to days before the finals matches. On one team people weren't played unless they met the 14 minute two mile mark, weekly tests, don't make it for the week, you sit.

But agreed, they should come more prepared, by the sounds of it, some players are out of shape, they should be starting the training camps in shape, working on getting in better shape. These routines are just gauges and I'm sure every team does them in one way or another.

Thanks Aussie!

Seeing how its not even July yet, I am not too worried if they are out of shape still. There is plenty of time left.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    Seeing how its not even July yet, I am not too worried if they are out of shape still. There is plenty of time left.
    Agreed, there is time to get into shape.

Quote Originally Posted by budde View Post
    I could do it...

down a ski slope...
    SHUT IT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast