Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Ranks Top AFC West DB's; 3 Chiefs in top 12

Default ESPN Ranks Top AFC West DB's; 3 Chiefs in top 12

Ranking the defensive backs in the AFC West
    June 19, 2009 11:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson
    Our periodic AFC West position rankings continue with the best defensive backs in the AFC West, in my opinion:

1. Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland: Nnamdi has become, I believe, the best cornerback in the NFL. He is the definition of a shut-down cornerback.

2. Champ Bailey, Denver: Bailey is going to turn 31 Monday, and he is coming off an injury-filled season. Still, he is brilliant. This is a first-ballot Hall of Famer who is still a top player.

3. Quentin Jammer, San Diego: There is a pretty big drop off from No. 2 to No. 3, but Jammer is a good player. He had a nice season in 2008.

4. Antonio Cromartie, San Diego: Cromartie probably won't be No. 4 on this list next year. He'll either bounce back from a poor 2008 or he'll continue to slip. Yet, the team thinks he will improve because he played with a hip injury nearly all of last season.

5. Brian Dawkins, Denver: Dawkins may be much lower on this list next year if his play drops at the age of 35. But he still brings plenty of panache to Denver.

6. Eric Weddle, San Diego: Weddle is a fine player, who made a ton of tackles for the Chargers last season. Expect continued improvement.

7. Antoine Cason, San Diego: If Cromartie slips, Cason can take his job. The sky is the limit for this second-year player.

8. Jarrad Page, Kansas City: Page is a solid safety, who has play-making ability.

9. Brandon Flowers, Kansas City: Flowers made nice strides as a rookie last season. He has a chance to be a fine player.

10. Andre Goodman, Denver: Denver signed Goodman as a free agent this offseason. He is a solid pro.

11. Chris Johnson, Oakland: Johnson took over for the cut DeAngelo Hall in the middle of the season and was much better than the high-priced Hall.

12. Brandon Carr, Kansas City: Like Flowers, Carr looked promising as a rookie cornerback last season. He has nice potential.

Wow. Surprised Pollard is not on here and even more surprised that Page is ranked higher than Flowers and Carr. Watch out for Leggett... See Ya!!

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

jlamerson is going to like this.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post

Heh!

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    If I may open with a rant:

How does Page get listed in the top 12 of anything, except missed tackles, by anyone?! He is the definition of a soft FS. He can't tackle, and he tries for the INT instead of providing coverage. He's never going to be the hard-hitting FS we need to run the 3-4. And he'll never have the coverage abilities to be anything but a liability in coverage. Was he a decent value for a 7th round pick? Sure. Is he the worst starting FS in the NFL? Yeah, by my count. Did he do anything in 2007 and 2008 except help us lose games? No, by my count.

And Flowers, Pollard, and Carr should all be in front of Weddle, Page, Goodman, and Johnson. Weddle's been the definition of inconsistency. Who wouldn't rather have Flowers and Carr over Goodman or Johnson?

I agree.. how can page be listed in any capacity in front of flowers or pollard

wait until they see our db's next year carr and flowers both will be better with a year under their belt. maurice leggett will be a stud pollard and page should be better with a better pass rush scheme/players. hands down i think we have the deepest and best db's in the afc west

what if espn did the same thing with the other positions here is how mine would look

qb's
    1.phillip rivers (for now) san diego
    2.matt superbowl cassell (soon to be #1) chiefs
    3.kyle orton (almost laughable)denver
    4.jamarcus russell(big time bust)oakland

rb's
    1.ladanian tomlinson(retire already)san diego
    2.larry johnson(due for comeback player of the year)chiefs
    3.justin fargas(only good once in a while)chokeland
    4.kolby smith chiefs

wr's

1.branden marshall(soon to be a bear)denver
    2.dwayne bowe(needs to step it up)chiefs
    3.chris chambers(injury prone)chargers
    4.mark bradley(he is going to have a huge year)chiefs

i could keep going but i think we fare pretty well in all four of these key positions

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    what if espn did the same thing with the other positions here is how mine would look

qb's
    1.phillip rivers (for now) san diego
    2.matt superbowl cassell (soon to be #1) chiefs
    3.kyle orton (almost laughable)denver
    4.jamarcus russell(big time bust)oakland

rb's
    1.ladanian tomlinson(retire already)san diego
    2.larry johnson(due for comeback player of the year)chiefs
    3.justin fargas(only good once in a while)chokeland
    4.kolby smith chiefs

wr's

1.branden marshall(soon to be a bear)denver
    2.dwayne bowe(needs to step it up)chiefs
    3.chris chambers(injury prone)chargers
    4.mark bradley(he is going to have a huge year)chiefs

i could keep going but i think we fare pretty well in all four of these key positions
    This is fun. My rankings for all positions (rookies excluded).

QBs:

1. Phillip Rivers (Chargers)
    2. Matt Cassell (Chiefs)
    3. Jamarcus Russell (Raiders)
    4. Kyle Orton (Broncos)

I don't like Russell, but he's better than Orton. Mark me, Orton is going to get his WRs killed this year. He was bailed out in Chicago with a great defense, good HC, good running game, and a great scapegoat in Rex Grossman. He is going to flop and flop badly in Denver.

RBs:

1. LaDanian Tomlinson (Chargers)
    2. Larry Johnson (Chiefs)
    3. Darren Sproles (Chargers)
    4. Darren McFadden (Raiders)

No way Kolby Smith is the 4th best RB. Charles is better than him. McFadden and Bush are better. LaMont Jordan is better. Sproles is a great scatback on turf. And McFadden has a ton of talent and is stuck in a miserable three-headed running game in Oakland.

WRs:

1. Dwayne Bowe (Chiefs)
    2. Branden Marshall (Broncos)
    3. Eddie Royal (Broncos)
    4. Chris Chambers (Chargers)

Bowe's health and attitude make him more valuable than Marshall. People are wayyy to hard on Bowe. He's a thousand yard WR with Samie Parker on the opposite side and Damon Huard at QB. What do they expect? And Royal is better than Bradley. He's healthier, with better hands, and is better after the catch.

OL:

1. Marcus McNeill (Chargers)
    2. Brian Waters (Chiefs)
    3. Ryan Clady (Broncos)
    4. Branden Albert (Chiefs)

McNeill only gets the nod over Waters because of age. And Clady only gets the nod over Albert because Albert needs to show can be great in something other than the pistol.

TE:

1. Antonio Gates (Chargers)
    2. Zach Miller (Raiders)
    3. Daniel Graham (Broncos)
    4. Tony Scheffler (Broncos)

Gates is the best TE in the AFC. Zach Miller is a bright spot for the Raiders. And the Broncos TEs are both pretty good. The Chiefs TEs need to show something before they get ranked top-anything.

DL:

1. Jamal Williams (Chargers)
    2. Derrick Burgess (Raiders)
    3. Luis Castillo (Chargers)
    4. Tommy Kelly (Raiders)

I hate to do this to the Chiefs, and I like our rookies, but Dorsey, Tank, and Edwards aren't top-4. And the Broncos DL stinks. The DLs of the AFC West are pretty bad on the whole.

LB:

1. Shawne Merriman (Chargers)
    2. DJ Williams (Broncos)
    3. Mike Vrabel (Chiefs)
    4. Kirk Morrison (Raiders)

Merriman is conditionaly no. 1 assuming he stays healthy. Vrabel would be higher if he were a little bit younger.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    If I may open with a rant:

How does Page get listed in the top 12 of anything, except missed tackles, by anyone?! He is the definition of a soft FS. He can't tackle, and he tries for the INT instead of providing coverage. He's never going to be the hard-hitting FS we need to run the 3-4. And he'll never have the coverage abilities to be anything but a liability in coverage. Was he a decent value for a 7th round pick? Sure. Is he the worst starting FS in the NFL? Yeah, by my count. Did he do anything in 2007 and 2008 except help us lose games? No, by my count.

And Flowers, Pollard, and Carr should all be in front of Weddle, Page, Goodman, and Johnson. Weddle's been the definition of inconsistency. Who wouldn't rather have Flowers and Carr over Goodman or Johnson?

My thoughts Exactly...except i dont think Page is the worst safety in the league by any means lol, he certainly isnt top 12 of anything...

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    My thoughts Exactly...except i dont think Page is the worst safety in the league by any means lol, he certainly isnt top 12 of anything...
    You are right. Page isn't the worst safety in the league. He's just the worst starting FS in the league.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast