Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2009 NFL Preview!!!

Default 2009 NFL Preview!!!

www.whatifsports.com has a preview for the 2009 season. CHiefs predicted at 7-9.

if you think we are making the playoffs, you are in for a long, long year..i say we win 6 games. Our defense still blows....hard. And every game outside of our division is tough....next year though!

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    7-9 is very, very doable.

I think we go 4-2 in division (losing at SD and at Oakland). I think Oakland and SD also go 4-2 in division, as the Broncos go 0-6.

Add in home wins over the rebuilding Browns and the overrated Cowboys, and a at least one win against either the Jags, Bengals, or Redskins. That's seven right there.
    I think JM is pretty close. I also have us 4-2 in the division. Although my second loss is not to Oakland, but Denver. Oakland has not been a problem for 5 years and I dont expect them to be now. The Denver game at Mile High is always the scariest game of the season. We lose there every year, Just like they lose here. If Pioli makes us 8-8, he'll probably get his own street.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    I think JM is pretty close. I also have us 4-2 in the division. Although my second loss is not to Oakland, but Denver. Oakland has not been a problem for 5 years and I dont expect them to be now. The Denver game at Mile High is always the scariest game of the season. We lose there every year, Just like they lose here. If Pioli makes us 8-8, he'll probably get his own street.
    And this post and JML's is exactly what I mean. I think we'll go 4-2 as well, but it's definitely possible to sweep if everything goes perfectly. The division is just pathetic.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    And this post and JML's is exactly what I mean. I think we'll go 4-2 as well, but it's definitely possible to sweep if everything goes perfectly. The division is just pathetic.
    You're underestimating San Diego, who I think will go (at least) 12-4. They are a very, very good team in their prime. Norv Turner isn't exactly Bill Walsh, but he's not as bad as his reputation suggests, and he's taken the Chargers a whole lot farther than Matry ever did. And Oakland is a better team than they were in 2008 (of course, so are we), and we split with them in 2008.

On the whole, our division isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is. I think the AFC West ends up with a better record than the NFC West (abysmal), AFC North (Baltimore is due for a slump season), AFC East (I think only the Pats have a winning record in 2009), and maybe the NFC South (Atlanta is the only team I don't think we beat on a neutral field).

All in all, I agree with you that we're going to be better than a lot of people think, and, heck, I admire your enthusiasm. But talks of sweeping the division and the playoffs are just slightly premature.

You're underestimating San Diego, who I think will go (at least) 12-4. They are a very, very good team in their prime. Norv Turner isn't exactly Bill Walsh, but he's not as bad as his reputation suggests, and he's taken the Chargers a whole lot farther than Matry ever did. And Oakland is a better team than they were in 2008 (of course, so are we), and we split with them in 2008.

On the whole, our division isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is. I think the AFC West ends up with a better record than the NFC West (abysmal), AFC North (Baltimore is due for a slump season), AFC East (I think only the Pats have a winning record in 2009), and maybe the NFC South (Atlanta is the only team I don't think we beat on a neutral field).

All in all, I agree with you that we're going to be better than a lot of people think, and, heck, I admire your enthusiasm. But talks of sweeping the division and the playoffs are just slightly premature.
    Yeah, the Chargers are who I worry about, especially with Merriman coming back. If he's the old Merriman, then we have no chance in San Diego, and even here, it'll be tough.

Oakland is kind of weird for us, both games are usually duds, but we usually find a way to win one of them. I really don't think Oakland has improved all that much, so I'll go with sweeping them, but I wouldn't be shocked if they stole one from us.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Have the Chiefs ever swept this division? What makes you think we will sweep the division when we are in a complete rebuilding year and are coming off the worst season in Chiefs history?

I'm not trying to be Debby-Downer, but you may want to have more realistic expectations or this could be a very frustrating season for you.

Yup, as a general in the past few seasons I've kept my expectations relatively low in order to avoid said frustation.

I dont think San Diego is in their prime. Their best Offensive Guard plays for us now. Merriman is a huge question mark and his replacement is a rookie (Larry English.) The new D-line coach is Don Johnson who was the D-line coach for Oakland the past two seasons. Their best D-lineman Jamal Williams got a DUI earlier this year and will probably miss the first couple games. Their second best D-lineman, Igor Olshansky went to Dallas. To top it all off, they probably have the weakest Safeties in our division (Clinton Hart, Eric Weddle, not impressive.) Ladanian is old and not what he used to be and I dont think Sproles can handle more than 20 touches a game. No matter what anybody says, Norv Turner does not impress me as a head coach. Overall they have a great young quarterback and tight end, but not much else shines. Im not convinced JM. You might be right, but I just dont see it.
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 06-18-2009 at 01:36 AM.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

I dont think San Diego is in their prime. Their best Offensive Guard plays for us now. Merriman is a huge question mark and his replacement is a rookie (Larry English.) The new D-line coach is Don Johnson who was the D-line coach for Oakland the past two seasons. Their best D-lineman Jamal Williams got a DUI earlier this year and will probably miss the first couple games. Their second best D-lineman, Igor Olshansky went to Dallas. To top it all off, they probably have the weakest Safeties in our division (Clinton Hart, Eric Weddle, not impressive.) Ladanian is old and not what he used to be and I dont think Sproles can handle more than 20 touches a game. No matter what anybody says, Norv Turner does not impress me as a head coach. Overall they have a great young quarterback and tight end, but not much else shines. Im not convinced JM. You might be right, but I just dont see it.

I have to agree with this. Thanks for doing all of the typing for me! lmao!

No offense, but that was kind of a homer post.

I watched a lot of San Diego last year because I had Sunday Ticket and LT on my $500 fantasy team. Goff was one of the weak points on that offensive line. The right side was actually pretty bad. He's an upgrade for us, but they let him walk for a reason.

Gates is now far and away the best TE in the division, they have big physical receivers. Rivers was the most efficient QB in the league last year. LT was clearly playing through turf toe and couldn't do anything. I'd bet anything that he'll be a lot better this year.

I hate the guy's guts for effectively ending Priest Holmes career, but Merriman is an incredible football player and that defense is nasty if he's on the field.

San Diego will win the division pretty easily. I'll put money on it.

San Diego isn't as good as they were two years ago in a lot of spots (including DL and OG), but Rivers and his receivers are getting better and better every year, especially with the addition of Chambers at WR, and I think that will be the difference.

Or to put it another way, they went 8-8 and won a playoff game against the Colts with Merriman and LT out. They now have English and Siler to prevent the dropoff at LB in case of injury, and Sproles proved that he can be an able backup if LT goes down, at least when he's playing on turf and not Heinz Field. Not to mention that their schedule, like ours, isn't really that tough. I think they'll kill the Browns, Bengals, Skins, Cowboys, and Dolphins. I think they beat Tennessee (Week 16, when Collins will inevitably be hurt), Eagles (at home), and Ravens (at home) teams just due for slumps. And I think they go 4-2 in division. That's twelve wins right there. Not to mention that the Giants have looked awfuly mortal without Plaxico and the Chargers certainly can beat the Raiders twice.

I know I sound like a Chargers fan, and I hate the Chargers, but their GM has built that team into an annual contender. I can't help but admire it.

Now, here's my plan. Pioli should offer Cassel to the Chargers for Rivers. We should leak the story that the Chargers are considering it. BAM! We have another Cutler situation and we sweep the AFC West.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast