Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Is YOUR Opinion on an 18 Game Regular Season?

Default What Is YOUR Opinion on an 18 Game Regular Season?

As Many of you know, Roger Goodell wants 18 regular season games. More TV spots to sell, more revenue, etc. The players obviously have two issues: Are they making more for playing more? And, is 18 games too hard on the body? From my understanding, this will not make the season longer. The plan is to have only 2 pre-season games and go into the Regular season earlier. Here's what some of our guys had to say about this:

Mike Goff:
    “Has the Commissioner ever played 16 games in a season?”
    When told Goodell had never played pro football, Goff scratched his beard and shook his head.
    “I don’t know what the answer is, but at some point it’s too much! The furthest I’ve made it during a season was the AFC Championship Game, and from a physical standpoint, I know how my body felt then. It hurt. It’s one of those things that were at that point you are operating strictly on adrenalin. Your body is beat up; everybody’s body is beat up. We had a quarterback playing on one knee (Phillip Rivers) and a running back without a groin (LaDainian Tomlinson) and a tight end who didn’t have a toe (Antonio Gates). From a physical standpoint, it’s going to be tougher.”

Bobby Engram:
    “I don’t know enough about the situation right now to say much about it. Two extra weeks is pretty tough. I say cut two pre-season games and keep it the way it is.”
    Looks like Engram wants to cut games and NOT add more.

Zach Thomas:
    “There is a point where it’s too much. I don’t know what that point is. I don’t know if it’s 17 or 18 games, or if we’ve already found it at 16 games. I love the game of football, but there’s only so much the body can take and there’s only so much that the mind can overcome with the body. I’m not sure I understand why we would need more games.”

Jon McGraw:
    “If they are going to pay us to play those extra games, then I’m sure some players would be for the idea, But if they just want to keep the money what it is today and divide it by 1/17th or 1/18th instead of what they do now, then I don’t think you are going to find many players supporting the idea.”

Rudy Niswanger:
    “If they determine they want to play more games and pay us accordingly, then good, I’m still a young guy and I don’t have all the aches and pains that more veteran players have. Talk to me in about six years and I would have a different answer for you.”

Damion Macintosh:
    “To me, I think 16 feels like plenty, unless you are adding more teams into the league. I know pre-season is a necessary evil because you have so many young players trying to make a squad and you only have so much time to evaluate them. In my opinion I think we have enough. All it does is make the season longer; there’s nothing that needs to be corrected as far as the way the league is arranged or the season and making the playoffs.”

I say, it is fine the way it is. Goodell is lookin awful greedy right now. What do you guy's think?
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 06-21-2009 at 02:29 AM.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

I think the current 16 game season is fine as it is. I love the game as much as the next guy but enough is enough. Its done well so far so why bother changing it? Like you said Tek, greed seems to be the underlying factor here.

Im down with the 18 season!

But its just like what the players say about overtime and wanting to keep it sudden death. Its stressful on the body.

But as a fan, I love football and can use more games.

The way I understand it. They will cut into the preseason games tho, so there will be two less preseason games.

Cut all the preseason games, give everyone an extra bye week and play 18 games.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    Cutting preseason games will only make the usual preseason records translate to the reg season records. That could mean alot of losses for teams that don't have their stuff together. Maybe cut down to 2 Preseason games but I dunno about none. I don't know of a Pro sport today that has no Preseason, they have it for a reason. My belief is so the teams can adjust their rosters, how would you propose they handle that?
    Play more scrimmages in the preseason. Chiefs play the Viqueens every year. And the losses will not be as detrimental to a team if they have more games to play. The preseason records will not transfer into regular season records because I would highly doubt that a lot of 3rd and 4th string players would be getting out on the field when it really counts. I am sure they have preseason for a reason, but I have never heard anything but complaints about it from players and coaches. Maybe a longer season would result in teams getting more depth to last a long season. Hockey has 82 games in a season and can go up to a possible 110 games (depending on playoffs) so i don't buy into the excuse that 18 games is too hard. You make millions, earn it.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

If they go to 18 game season, then they better increase the roster limits so teams can have enough health bodies to make it thru the season.

From the fans view point expanding the schedule would be awesome. Two more games were the starters played the entire four quarters. The league would definatley make out monataraly'
    From the players veiw point. Two more games means more stress on the body, and more injuries and careers would be shorter. Reducing the preseason games is not the answer. The starters play the first half of most preseason games, so if you take away two, the starters still play an additional game. Adding to the roster will not be the answer, there isn't enough good talent available now.
    My answer is, IF IT ISN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT!!! 16 games is just about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Cut all the preseason games, give everyone an extra bye week and play 18 games.
    I almost completely agree. But I think keep 2 preseason games, and then go straight to the NFL season, and like you said add in an extra bye week.

While this would not increase the number of total games played in a season it does increase the amount of playing time your starters have thus, I'm assuming, is the problem that perspective starters have with this proposal. It also gives owners, GM's, and coaches less time to evaluate their talent and make the necessary cuts, which I'm not convinced is a good thing. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    From the fans view point expanding the schedule would be awesome. Two more games were the starters played the entire four quarters. The league would definatley make out monataraly'
    From the players veiw point. Two more games means more stress on the body, and more injuries and careers would be shorter. Reducing the preseason games is not the answer. The starters play the first half of most preseason games, so if you take away two, the starters still play an additional game. Adding to the roster will not be the answer, there isn't enough good talent available now.
    My answer is, IF IT ISN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT!!! 16 games is just about right.
    Agreed! Rep!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast