Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 Draft Prosspects

Default 2010 Draft Prosspects

Since we have nothing else to discuss, let's look at who might be available next year. I have only included seniors.
    www.cbssports.com/NFL/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010
    1st round, assuming we pick 9 to 11 somewhere
    pos. rank Name position school
    2 Trent Williams OT Oklahoma
    1 Brandon LaFell WR LSU
    2 Sean Weatherrspoon OLB MO.
    I'm assumeing Terrance Cody will be gone.

1st 2nd round
    1 John Estes C Hawaii
    4 Eric Decker WR MN
    5 Kyle Wilson CB Boise ST

2nd 2nd round
    3 Charles Scott RB LSU
    3 Thomas Austin OG clemson
    6 Vince Oghebaase DT Duke

3rd
    9 Rahim Alem DE LSU
    This guy was not a starter in 2008 and was 2nd team all SEC for his pass rushing abilities. 8 sacks

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Don't be too sure. Very, very few DTs/NTs go in the top-5 of drafts. And it almost always backfires (see Courtney Brown). And most teams picking in the top-5 are going to be looking at Bradford, Mays (who's destined to be a Raider), and Dunlap.

The draft yashi linked to had Cody at 16th. Which sounds about right.

If we can't get Cody, we should go with Brandon Spikes (ILB).
    I didn't think much of waltermock drsaft. I can't see us picking 2nd next year and it's not every year that 365 lb. beasts come along. also think Spikes will be gone before we pick some where between 9 and 11. Matter of fact I don't agree with any of the mocks I've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    I didn't think much of waltermock drsaft. I can't see us picking 2nd next year and it's not every year that 365 lb. beasts come along. also think Spikes will be gone before we pick some where between 9 and 11. Matter of fact I don't agree with any of the mocks I've seen so far.
    Both Spikes and Cody aren't going top-11. Not a chance. Except in cases of extremely weak drafts (Curry) or extremely bad front offices (Courtney Brown and Lavar Arrington), LBs and DTs just aren't top-5 guys. You're going to see the usual assortments of LTs, QBs, WRs, and DEs go that early. Some team might reach for Spikes or Cody, but the chances of two reaching are pretty nil. Especially because some dumb QB-needy teams are going to take chances on McCoy and Tebow way too early.

Not to mention that most 3-4 teams who need a NT probably won't be drafting top-20. The Pats aren't drafting a NT in 2010. The Steelers might, but we'll draft before they do. The Jets have Jenkins and the Browns have Rogers. The Cowboys, 49ers, and Dolphins could, I guess, but both have much bigger holes that they'll try to fill if they pick top-10. So who is going to scoop Cody up before we get to him?

Trust me, Cody will be there for us if we're picking top-15. Just because we love him and have a gaping hole at NT doesn't mean that other teams do.

A bit on the Cody subject, the class for DT next year is really deep. Plenty of 4-3 tackles, not too sure but I think the beast tackle at Nebraska could make a good NT, he's got the height at least from watching him last season. I wouldn't be surpised if Cody dropped out of the top 15, depending on where we pick. The only other team I could see right now with a severe need and potential to pick in a decent spot is Denver, but I'd put my money on Colt McCoy and another QB search 2 years later right now.

If we're the turn-around miracle team of 2009 and end up picking in the late teens/early 20's I'd go with Brandon Graham.

My early 2010:
    1. Cody (NT) or Graham (OLB) - If we can't get Cody I honestly thing Graham is a win/win having him play opposite of Hali, Hali could be successful again. He could potentially have a Demarcus Ware type impact.
    2. Brandon Lafell (WR) - another LSU guy for kicks and giggles.
    2. Sergio Render (OG)
    3. If Graham- Boo Robinson (NT), If Cody- Micah Johnson (ILB)

On a side note, I bet we end up with a few more early round picks, either Dorsey goes off and goes off fast at DE, or the spot is MaGee's. I'm putting my money on Magee and wouldn't be surprised to see Dorsey traded away before the season is over.
    Last edited by Chief Tyler; 06-18-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    On a side note, I bet we end up with a few more early round picks, either Dorsey goes off and goes off fast at DE, or the spot is MaGee's. I'm putting my money on Magee and wouldn't be surprised to see Dorsey traded away before the season is over.
    Agreed. I think the job is Magee's by midseason. Dorsey does not seem enthused, to say the least, about playing DE. I think the whether we have a salary cap in 2010 will be a major factor in whether we keep or trade Dorsey in 2010.

Also, if we get a pick out of the top-5 (and we should) the chances of Pioli wheeling and dealing for extra picks are pretty great.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    The only other team I could see right now with a severe need and potential to pick in a decent spot is Denver, but I'd put my money on Colt McCoy and another QB search 2 years later right now.
    Denver will be pick Sam Bradford at No. 1 after they go 1-15 this season.

what dont we get the 4th pick?

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    1 John Estes C Hawaii
    I like that

I'll have you know, I am a big fan of Hawaii. Too bad they don't show more games on TV.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    What the heck. My early, early mock:

1: Terrence Cody (NT) - Alabama
    2a: Kris O'Dowd (C) - USC
    2b: Adam Ulatoski (OT) - Texas
    3: Best OLB
    4: Best ILB
    5: Best WR
    6: Best RB
    Don't tease me like that! Ulatoski is going to make a great NFL player. The guy has talent.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12