Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Priest stirring the pot!!!

Default Priest stirring the pot!!!

Holmes back on field, says he's ready to take job

Associated Press

Updated: August 8, 2007, 2:58 PM ET

RIVER FALLS, Wis. -- Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes has a message for holdout All-Pro Larry Johnson: If you don't want the job, I'll take it.

I mean, we have what's called 'making it rain.' We have the dogfighting, we have so many things that have cast a negative light on the NFL. This is just a great story to show guys that regardless of what situation you're in, you can persevere.

Holmes

Holmes, a three-time Pro Bowler, has been out of football since 2005 after suffering what many figured was a career-ending injury. He created a stir in July with his surprise return to the Chiefs and said this week his comeback attempt is going well as he works himself back into game shape.
    On Tuesday, he was on the practice field in pads, taking handoffs and absorbing hits from assistant coaches using blocking pads.
    Afterward, Holmes said he's ready to fill the 27-year-old Johnson's shoes -- at least financially.
    "Somebody has to get the money," he said. "Hey, if L.J. wants to leave the money out there, guess I'm going to take it. If he wants to come get it, it's rightfully his to take. He's earned it. But if he chooses not to come back, well, somebody has to take it. Why won't it be me?"
    Johnson has been a no-show at camp as he seeks an extension to the seven-year contract he inked in 2003, which he can void down to a five-year deal after the final game of the 2007 season because of playing time incentives.
    Johnson is demanding compensation in the range of $28 million guaranteed, insisting he be paid as much as league MVP LaDainian Tomlinson. Johnson is scheduled to earn $1.7 million this season, and Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson has said Johnson would be fined more than $14,000 for every day he misses.
    One of the NFL's top runners until his injury, Holmes rushed for a team-record 5,933 yards after signing as an unrestricted free agent in 2001. He scored 27 touchdowns in 2003, then an NFL record.
    The 33-year-old running back had been on the physically unable to perform list since a devastating tackle by San Diego's Shawne Merriman on Oct. 30, 2005, left him with head and neck trauma. After extensive tests, doctors warned of a possibility of further injury, perhaps even paralysis -- a danger that may still lurk.
    "This is about perseverance and having a great story to tell," Holmes said. "I think that all the valuable years I've put into my tank, there's a lot in me still."
    Some were dubious about Holmes' motives for returning, especially in light of Johnson's holdout.
    "'Dubious' is a great word," Holmes said. "But dedication is a little bit more defined in concrete. I mean, we have what's called 'making it rain.' We have the dogfighting, we have so many things that have cast a negative light on the NFL. This is just a great story to show guys that regardless of what situation you're in, you can persevere."
    Holmes, who received a clean bill of health from Kansas City's doctors before reporting to camp, last played a full season in 2003. He played in eight games in 2004 before a hip injury and then played in seven games in 2005 before the helmet-to-helmet hit from Merriman.
    Holmes said seeing highlights of himself this summer during a football camp made him start thinking about returning to the Chiefs.
    "Once I saw myself, the first thing I looked at it was as if I was a fan," he said. "I said, 'Man, I did that? Oh, that's a nice run. Oh, I love that touchdown move right there. I got to do that again.'
    "I haven't had any setbacks so far. The biggest thing with football is taking all the contact and then continuing to run," he said.
    Chiefs guard Brian Waters, an eight-year veteran and a good friend of Holmes, said players are keeping an eye on the running back's progress.
    "We know just by watching him run, he's still got a lot of his abilities," Waters said. "His quickness is strong. It's going to be a mental thing, for sure, but we'll see. I've seen him come back from serious injuries before and have a great season, so nothing would surprise me coming from that man."
    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Beat me in posting this article by 2 minutes!

The more I read about Holmes and the things he says, the less I'm sold on him coming back.
    Everything happens for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by luv View Post
    Beat me in posting this article by 2 minutes!

The more I read about Holmes and the things he says, the less I'm sold on him coming back.
    Like I said in the beginning. It would be great if in fact he was healthy enough to play and maybe he is to a certain extent but I still think he was baited into this and still think it is some sort of ploy! Timing just seems a little too fishy for my blood!

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Like I said in the beginning. It would be great if in fact he was healthy enough to play and maybe he is to a certain extent but I still think he was baited into this and still think it is some sort of ploy! Timing just seems a little too fishy for my blood!
    Talking publicly about another player's contract is kind of wrong, IMO. And he's been building strength by having assistant coaches hit him with blocking pads? C'mon.
    Everything happens for a reason.

Carl = Puppet Master
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Carl = Puppet Master
    True; although I never saw Holmes as the type to allow him to be controlled like that. Of course this is fodder for speculation to read quotes and hear sound bytes that may or may not be taken in context.

I figure I will give Priest Holmes the benefit of the doubt. If he says he is gonna play then I believe he will give it an honest effort. Everyone was excited when Montanna (one of the greats, but on the downward swing of his career)came to town well Priest is our all time leading rusher and if Herm thinks he is good enough to play, then who am I to argue. If this is all some ploy then we all know how it will work out. LJ signs or we have a rookie that will most likely get a good amount of experience this year.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I'm going to continue to root for him. The longer L.J. holds out, the more excited I get about the prospect of watching Holmes score touchdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I'm going to continue to root for him. The longer L.J. holds out, the more excited I get about the prospect of watching Holmes score touchdowns.
    Don't get your hopes up too high!! I don't want to have to come and take your shoestrings!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Don't get your hopes up too high!! I don't want to have to come and take your shoestrings!!
    Sadly, there's something to be said for this with our suspect "O" line; few running backs in this league has showed Barry Sanders type ability.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast