Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Ranks Top AFC West DB's; 3 Chiefs in top 12

Hybrid View

Default ESPN Ranks Top AFC West DB's; 3 Chiefs in top 12

Ranking the defensive backs in the AFC West
    June 19, 2009 11:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson
    Our periodic AFC West position rankings continue with the best defensive backs in the AFC West, in my opinion:

1. Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland: Nnamdi has become, I believe, the best cornerback in the NFL. He is the definition of a shut-down cornerback.

2. Champ Bailey, Denver: Bailey is going to turn 31 Monday, and he is coming off an injury-filled season. Still, he is brilliant. This is a first-ballot Hall of Famer who is still a top player.

3. Quentin Jammer, San Diego: There is a pretty big drop off from No. 2 to No. 3, but Jammer is a good player. He had a nice season in 2008.

4. Antonio Cromartie, San Diego: Cromartie probably won't be No. 4 on this list next year. He'll either bounce back from a poor 2008 or he'll continue to slip. Yet, the team thinks he will improve because he played with a hip injury nearly all of last season.

5. Brian Dawkins, Denver: Dawkins may be much lower on this list next year if his play drops at the age of 35. But he still brings plenty of panache to Denver.

6. Eric Weddle, San Diego: Weddle is a fine player, who made a ton of tackles for the Chargers last season. Expect continued improvement.

7. Antoine Cason, San Diego: If Cromartie slips, Cason can take his job. The sky is the limit for this second-year player.

8. Jarrad Page, Kansas City: Page is a solid safety, who has play-making ability.

9. Brandon Flowers, Kansas City: Flowers made nice strides as a rookie last season. He has a chance to be a fine player.

10. Andre Goodman, Denver: Denver signed Goodman as a free agent this offseason. He is a solid pro.

11. Chris Johnson, Oakland: Johnson took over for the cut DeAngelo Hall in the middle of the season and was much better than the high-priced Hall.

12. Brandon Carr, Kansas City: Like Flowers, Carr looked promising as a rookie cornerback last season. He has nice potential.

Wow. Surprised Pollard is not on here and even more surprised that Page is ranked higher than Flowers and Carr. Watch out for Leggett... See Ya!!

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

jlamerson is going to like this.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post

Heh!

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    If I may open with a rant:

How does Page get listed in the top 12 of anything, except missed tackles, by anyone?! He is the definition of a soft FS. He can't tackle, and he tries for the INT instead of providing coverage. He's never going to be the hard-hitting FS we need to run the 3-4. And he'll never have the coverage abilities to be anything but a liability in coverage. Was he a decent value for a 7th round pick? Sure. Is he the worst starting FS in the NFL? Yeah, by my count. Did he do anything in 2007 and 2008 except help us lose games? No, by my count.

And Flowers, Pollard, and Carr should all be in front of Weddle, Page, Goodman, and Johnson. Weddle's been the definition of inconsistency. Who wouldn't rather have Flowers and Carr over Goodman or Johnson?

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    If I may open with a rant:

How does Page get listed in the top 12 of anything, except missed tackles, by anyone?! He is the definition of a soft FS. He can't tackle, and he tries for the INT instead of providing coverage. He's never going to be the hard-hitting FS we need to run the 3-4. And he'll never have the coverage abilities to be anything but a liability in coverage. Was he a decent value for a 7th round pick? Sure. Is he the worst starting FS in the NFL? Yeah, by my count. Did he do anything in 2007 and 2008 except help us lose games? No, by my count.

And Flowers, Pollard, and Carr should all be in front of Weddle, Page, Goodman, and Johnson. Weddle's been the definition of inconsistency. Who wouldn't rather have Flowers and Carr over Goodman or Johnson?

My thoughts Exactly...except i dont think Page is the worst safety in the league by any means lol, he certainly isnt top 12 of anything...

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    My thoughts Exactly...except i dont think Page is the worst safety in the league by any means lol, he certainly isnt top 12 of anything...
    You are right. Page isn't the worst safety in the league. He's just the worst starting FS in the league.

You are right. Page isn't the worst safety in the league. He's just the worst starting FS in the league.
    I just wish the guy would get out of the way of his own teammates so they could make a play. He's all about himself - always making a play for the ball and missing the tackle. Terrible team player - terrible FS. We would be richer without him.
    SHUT IT

Not even close to the worst starting FS in the league. I could argue that at times he has been brilliant. You could come right back and tell me about blown coverages like when he bit on play action for a go ahead Charger touchdown last year. All in all, he's inconsistent, but I do like his play in the Red Zone, usually. I know you have never been a Page fan JM, but lets face it, a FS is the center fielder, they dont play the run or blitz near as much as the strong safety and we have not had the front seven to allow any of our DB's to be outstanding, ESPECIALLY a FS. The coaches seem to love Page. Bob Gretz said that Mike Brown would have took Pollard's spot, not Page's. Do I agree with that? NO. BUT, I think he's better than you do. As far as rankings go, Page makes picks and that alone can get you some cred. He has 10 in 3 years and he's only 24 years old. Alot of upside JM, you cant deny that. ONE MORE THING... He has closed out 3 Choakland Gaider games with picks, you know that counts for somethin J!
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 06-21-2009 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    Do you ever appreciate when the Chiefs get praise at any position?
    JM's post wasn't because he was mad that the Chiefs got praise, he was mad that Page was rated higher than any of our other DB's and Pollard didnt make the list.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    Do you ever appreciate when the Chiefs get praise at any position?
    Only when praise is do - if I may interject.
    SHUT IT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast