Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What Is YOUR Opinion on an 18 Game Regular Season?

Default What Is YOUR Opinion on an 18 Game Regular Season?

As Many of you know, Roger Goodell wants 18 regular season games. More TV spots to sell, more revenue, etc. The players obviously have two issues: Are they making more for playing more? And, is 18 games too hard on the body? From my understanding, this will not make the season longer. The plan is to have only 2 pre-season games and go into the Regular season earlier. Here's what some of our guys had to say about this:

Mike Goff:
    “Has the Commissioner ever played 16 games in a season?”
    When told Goodell had never played pro football, Goff scratched his beard and shook his head.
    “I don’t know what the answer is, but at some point it’s too much! The furthest I’ve made it during a season was the AFC Championship Game, and from a physical standpoint, I know how my body felt then. It hurt. It’s one of those things that were at that point you are operating strictly on adrenalin. Your body is beat up; everybody’s body is beat up. We had a quarterback playing on one knee (Phillip Rivers) and a running back without a groin (LaDainian Tomlinson) and a tight end who didn’t have a toe (Antonio Gates). From a physical standpoint, it’s going to be tougher.”

Bobby Engram:
    “I don’t know enough about the situation right now to say much about it. Two extra weeks is pretty tough. I say cut two pre-season games and keep it the way it is.”
    Looks like Engram wants to cut games and NOT add more.

Zach Thomas:
    “There is a point where it’s too much. I don’t know what that point is. I don’t know if it’s 17 or 18 games, or if we’ve already found it at 16 games. I love the game of football, but there’s only so much the body can take and there’s only so much that the mind can overcome with the body. I’m not sure I understand why we would need more games.”

Jon McGraw:
    “If they are going to pay us to play those extra games, then I’m sure some players would be for the idea, But if they just want to keep the money what it is today and divide it by 1/17th or 1/18th instead of what they do now, then I don’t think you are going to find many players supporting the idea.”

Rudy Niswanger:
    “If they determine they want to play more games and pay us accordingly, then good, I’m still a young guy and I don’t have all the aches and pains that more veteran players have. Talk to me in about six years and I would have a different answer for you.”

Damion Macintosh:
    “To me, I think 16 feels like plenty, unless you are adding more teams into the league. I know pre-season is a necessary evil because you have so many young players trying to make a squad and you only have so much time to evaluate them. In my opinion I think we have enough. All it does is make the season longer; there’s nothing that needs to be corrected as far as the way the league is arranged or the season and making the playoffs.”

I say, it is fine the way it is. Goodell is lookin awful greedy right now. What do you guy's think?
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 06-21-2009 at 02:29 AM.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    The NFL use to be a 14 game schedule, so do you have bad football now?

Expand the roster and there will be more depth and/or allow the practice squad to be expanded in an effort to create better depth.

Give the fans what we want. I don;t think 2 more games in the regular season and 2 less games in preseason would hurt anything.
    Yep. You could really just pull the vets almost entirely out of the preseason games.

As for whoever was questioning the fan dedication and their ability to follow 18 games; bud, I haven't missed a Chiefs regular season game, whether it be on the radio, on TV or live since 1990. 2 extra games isn't magically going to make me apathetic about watching my favorite sports team every week, same for anyone else who love the Chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by PawnshopMarimba View Post
    Yep. You could really just pull the vets almost entirely out of the preseason games.

As for whoever was questioning the fan dedication and their ability to follow 18 games; bud, I haven't missed a Chiefs regular season game, whether it be on the radio, on TV or live since 1990. 2 extra games isn't magically going to make me apathetic about watching my favorite sports team every week, same for anyone else who love the Chiefs.
    Well said. Rep!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234