Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Delaney

Default Joe Delaney

Remembering Joe Delaney

Posted by Mike Florio on June 29, 2009, 10:04 a.m.
    In this age where the off-field coverage of the NFL features subjects like DUI manslaughter and dogfighting and loaded guns toted in the waistband of a pair of sweatpants and shirtless preening receivers on grossly overhyped faux sports shows, it’s nice to remember a true hero.
    Chiefs running back Joe Delaney.
    The folks at Arrowhead Pride have reminded us that Delaney died 26 years ago today while trying to save three drowning boys.
    It didn’t matter to Delaney that he couldn’t swim. He saw that the boys were in trouble, and he acted.
    Frank Deford, then of Sports Illustrated, wrote this item about Delaney in 1983. Rick Reilly, then of Sports Illustrated, remembered Delaney six years ago.
    Delaney should never be forgotten.
    That’s why we recognize every year one running back with an award named for Delaney, who at the time was one of the best young tailbacks in the NFL.
    Hopefully, none of us will ever have to make the choice that Delaney did on that day in late June. Hopefully, more than a few of us would be willing to risk everything without thought or hesitation if it meant possibly saving the lives of others.
    Hopefully, every NFL player will think about the honor Delaney brought to himself and the league before taking action that would dishonor themselves or the game.
    And, hopefully, we’ll remember the date of Delaney’s sacrifice next year — and every year thereafter — without having to be reminded of it.
    A HERO! R.I.P. JD!!

A true hero.
    SHUT IT

One of the great losses in the NFL, a true hero.

RIP Joe!

No greater love has a man then he is willing to lay down his life for another........God bless you Joe

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    The KC Chiefs organization and player deaths while in the prime of their careers is just too weird man.
    I agree. Two very tragic deaths.
    We were driving in Raytown that day DT was in the accident. It was nasty out to say the least. Ice and snow and accidents everywhere. We waited it out at Funhouse Pizza and heard about the accident on tv there. Thomas was actually on I-435 on the way to the airport from Arrowhead and was taken to Liberty Hospital from there. The roads that day were so bad I was afraid to drive even 10 mph. Later they said that DT was speeding and weaving in and out of traffic - I'm guessing he was probably running late to catch his flight. Later that day 8 or 9 people were killed in a pile-up just north of Platte City on I-29. A tragic day for KC. We finally drove home at around 7 that night after salt trucks finally covered the main roads. This is the day I developed a new respect for driving on ice and snow covered roads.
    SHUT IT

RIP Joe

RIP JOE!

Rip Joe

Joe was an incredible person and remains a true American hero. Chiefsnation will always honor your memory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast