Thread: Update to Jets Fan Arrest: San Diego Tribune

Default Update to Jets Fan Arrest: San Diego Tribune

I found this on line, since some were still pondering the possiblities of what did or did not happen. This is from the San Diego Tribune:

Video of Jets fan getting arrested has its own fans
    By Debbi Baker, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 at 4:26 p.m.
    William Carroll’s arrest at Sunday’s Chargers game is a five-star YouTube hit.

The videotaped arrest of the enthusiastic – and allegedly inebriated – New York Jets fan at Qualcomm Stadium has football fans howling in cyber protest.
    The video, which was also posted on news sites and blogs, was accompanied by headlines such as "Jets fan arrested for liking Jets too much" and "San Diego cops arrest Jets fan for cheering his team."

Even The New York Post wrote: "Jets fan arrested in San Diego for no apparent reason."

San Diego police beg to differ. Assistant Chief Bob Kanaski said Carroll was arrested for suspicion of public intoxication and delaying or obstructing a police officer in his duties. "It had nothing to do with cheering, it had to do with the behavior not seen on the film," Kanaski said Tuesday.

The 3 1/2 minute video shows a man in a green Jets shirt, identified by police as 43-year-old Carroll of Mission Viejo, chanting "Jets, Jets, Jets" with upraised arms facing the crowd in the stands. About 12 seconds into the video, edited footage jumps to four police officers surrounding Carroll, trying to handcuff him as he struggles. This is punctuated by shouts of "Attica" and boos from the crowd. One man repeatedly yells: "He didn’t do anything."

After a little more than two minutes Carroll is finally handcuffed and carried out in a prone position. There is a smattering of applause while others continue to heckle the officers. Kanaski, who heads up the department’s special operation unit, said Carroll was booked into county jail on the two misdemeanor charges.

He said officers went to talk to Carroll after being notified via text message from an off-duty police officer at the game who said the Jets fan was intoxicated and out of control.

A sergeant asked Carroll three times to accompany him out of the stands but he refused. Kanaski said at one point Carroll tried to head butt one of the officers. When the fan balled his fists and took a stance, the sergeant began to handcuff him, Kanaski said. That is where the video picks up again. "The guy was obviously drunk and causing difficulty in the section," Kanaski said.

Of the 69,000 people at the game, 49 arrests were made, and 43 of those involved being drunk in public. Others were arrested for crimes such as petty theft, grand theft and battery, Kanaski said. Thirty-three were ejected for rowdy behavior. Police also issued several citations.

Most of those arrested were Chargers fans, although Kanaski said he did see a few green jerseys at the prisoner processing area at the stadium. The notion that officers were simply picking on one of them is "far from the truth," he said.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

The only difficulty he cause was resisting arrest. Like I said, its a football game. Can you imagine how many people would be arrest for being drunk at a football game?

Why do they even sell beer?

And why would a Charger fan lie? I guess one person is offended the slightest bit and he can call the cops and have him arrested because he is offended?
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Yeah, I noted the Charger fan who complained initially was an off duty cop at the game, texting the complaint in. I have my doubt the guy head butted the cop, he didn't seem that violent to me, rather simply struggling out of frustration not understanding what he did wrong and why he was being approached & arrested.

I also noted in the article the number of fans arrested for being "drunk in public", creating a disturbance. They consider being excited and rooting for one's team a disturbance? That guy did nothing I don't see most Chiefs fans and fans of other teams do every fricken Sunday at a game.

I think they are taking it to the extreme, just like they're doing so much else these days. I reflect upon the kindergarten boy who was suspended for kissing a little girl on the cheek...they called it sexual harrassment...or the high school girl who was suspended because she had Midol in her locker. Totally ridiculous to what extreme some things are being taken these days...no common sense is applied.

I'm not a violent or easily agitated personality, but I'm afraid if cops tried to arrest me for rooting at a Chiefs game in the manner that guy did...I'd likely become upset and resisted some too. Just because cops have power doesn't make them always right or fair to civilians. I'm a free American, and have a right to cheer on my favorite football team, as long as I'm not harming anyone...and that guy truly didn't appear to harming anyone other than irritating some fans because he was an opposing fan. I wonder if he'd been a Charger fan, & the shoe was on the other foot...if the off duty cop would've reported him?

I also read in another news article, that several Charger fans nearby gave the arrested man's girlfriend their phone numbers, and said they would testify in court the guy did nothing wrong or abnormal at a football game.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

They arrested damn near 100 people for either being drunk in public or rowdy behavior! Rowdy cheering for a team is a crime now?