Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cassel signs multi-year contract

Default Cassel signs multi-year contract

According to the KC Star, Cassel has signed a multi-year contract.

Chiefs sign Matt Cassel to multi-year contract | Red Zone

I also forgot to put in about the frontloaded contract and how it affects the team postively in the future. Once the gaurentee in the first 3 years is over (assuming the Cheifs have made significant progress during the first 3 years where he is gaurenteed to make $28 million ($ 40.5 million in 3 seasons) and the cap hit drops in the 4th year the team can reload its roster while not having the cap restrictions due to poor contract management. A very cap friendly contract both for the present and forseeable future)

The only thing left now is to wait and see.

Edit: Had to change some numbers around oops.

Edit 2: Jonh Clayton makes a good point:

Cassel was in a leverage position on a one-year deal to command more than the six-year, $63 million pact he agreed to with the Chiefs. With another season comparable to his 2008 breakout performance, Cassel could have commanded more next winter in free agency. Clearly, he wants to be in Kansas City. Pioli held firm in trying to get the average salary number around $10 million a year. He was successful

For those saying wait an see
    Last edited by DT14PRIEST; 07-14-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    For someone that gets as much TV time as Jamie Dukes gets, he is IMO the stupidest anchor they have on the NFL Network. He spoke about the Chiefs as if they made no improvements what so ever over this off season. If I had no knowledge of the team before I watched that video I would be willing to think that Cassell made the biggest mistake of his life and the Chiefs basically jobbed Cassell by screwing him out of money that he never had. I am sorry if nobody else agrees but I just don't like Jamie Dukes. The only thing positive I can say about the man is I thank the lord above that Jamie Dukes and Dan Deirdorf are not calling games together on Sundays or Mondays.
    Yeah that's pretty dumb, considering this has been one of the best offseasons I have witnessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    You have any ideas as to interested teams? I've been playing with different scenarios since this was announced. The best one I've come up with is Thiggy and the ATL second to Arizona for Boldin. A kid can dream :) I think they've given up on Leinart, though I don't think Thigpen is the type of QB that would allow them to be successful with the long ball like they have been, plus they're going to want to make another deep playoff push, no sense in trading for a future QB now.
    I don't think AZ would trade Leinert for Thigpen straight up. Leinert has the big gun perfect for their vertical offense. He just needs maturity and conditioning. Thigpen is the exact wrong type of QB for the AZ offense - too small with an average arm.

Purely guessing, the obvious trade partner is Carolina. Thigpen's a hometown guy, the Panthers are a playoff team in a very weak NFC, and Carolina has an enormous need for a young, competent backup (which McNown definitely isn't). Seattle has to know Seneca Wallace isn't the guy right now and would also be a good landing place for Thigpen. Problem is that those teams probably wouldn't trade a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Thigpen.

Brodie has yet to win a game for the Chiefs as a starter, even if he plays better than Tyler in training camp what will he do when the helmet gets strapped and there is 11 men from a different team looking at him in the PreSeason? A guy can be absolutely perfect in practice and training camp off the game stage but if he can't win while the clock is rolling and has 60 minutes to get it done there is no sense in having him here. I hope for his sake that he can turn it around I really do but it hasn't been very good so far.
    Brodie didn't play in the same system as Thigpen either. That was a completly differerent offense that Croyle and Huard had. When Thigpen did play in that offense ( during the Atlanta game ) he was nothing short of embarrasing. As far as wins go, Thigpen won 2 and crumbled at the end of games. I do like him and think that he can only get better, but he just doesnt have the natural skillset that seasoned QB's do. My point wasn't that Croyle was great and that he should be the backup. It was that in a QB competition he will smoke Thigpen, whether we like it or not. Im guessing that he will be our backup, but If it is truly an open competition, I just dont see him being able to beat out Brodie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Can't agree with you here (about being seasoned). Thigpen has won more games in one season than Croyle has in his entire career (zero).
    I mean "seasoned" in the fact that he has been a QB his whole life. Has a Big league arm, played for a big school, played a million games at QB.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Hmm...

I hope this pans out...
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

You are nuts, how is Brodie Croyle seasoned at anything but losing games? Thigpen is an outta nowhere surprise and if we don't do something to keep him in KC another team is going to swoop him up next year when his contract is out.Croyle has never won a game , he does have a strong throwing arm but his mental breaks down with the pressure on the pocket and with Thigpen when the pressure picks up he scrambles and atleast tries to get something from nothing.
    First Team:Matt Cassell
    Second Team:Tyler Thigpen
    Thrid Team:Brodie Croyle
    That is fact whether we like it or not ;)
    I mean, IMO Tyler Thigpen is more than worthy of being first string QB but, Matt cassell is that little bit btter.

And I agree. If Thigpen can't be first string he has to be almost certainly second string!

As for Brodie Croyle, I feel for him but IMO he doesn't have what it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    Brodie didn't play in the same system as Thigpen either. That was a completly differerent offense that Croyle and Huard had. When Thigpen did play in that offense ( during the Atlanta game ) he was nothing short of embarrasing. As far as wins go, Thigpen won 2 and crumbled at the end of games. I do like him and think that he can only get better, but he just doesnt have the natural skillset that seasoned QB's do. My point wasn't that Croyle was great and that he should be the backup. It was that in a QB competition he will smoke Thigpen, whether we like it or not. Im guessing that he will be our backup, but If it is truly an open competition, I just dont see him being able to beat out Brodie.

I mean "seasoned" in the fact that he has been a QB his whole life. Has a Big league arm, played for a big school, played a million games at QB.
    FYI Thigpen only won one game - the Oakland game. Huard won the Denver game.

Thigpen has his good points - he's tough, can scramble, and isn't careless with the football. But he's probably not a NFL starter and he'd have trouble playing in a conventional NFL offense due to height and accuracy issues. He's a perfect backup QB.

Brodie Croyle is like a lot of Herm Edwards picks - every measurable except the ability to stay upright. If the NFL were a flag football league, he'd be a top-10 QB. But it isn't. He's just not worth the roster spot.

You are nuts, how is Brodie Croyle seasoned at anything but losing games? Thigpen is an outta nowhere surprise and if we don't do something to keep him in KC another team is going to swoop him up next year when his contract is out.Croyle has never won a game , he does have a strong throwing arm but his mental breaks down with the pressure on the pocket and with Thigpen when the pressure picks up he scrambles and atleast tries to get something from nothing.
    First Team:Matt Cassell
    Second Team:Tyler Thigpen
    Thrid Team:Brodie Croyle
    That is fact whether we like it or not ;)
    Slow your roll big guy. I dont want this to turn into a I love Brodie and hate Thigpen thing. I like Thigpen alot more than Brodie. I even mentioned that Brodie makes Mike Brown look like Mr. Durability. Im not saying anything bad about Thigpen. Im just telling you the facts. In a fair QB competition in training camp / pre-season, Thigpen could not beat out Brodie. He wouldnt stand a chance.

Don't give me the no wins crap either. I was wrong in my last post. I said Thigpen won 2 games. He actually only won one! Huard won the other one against the Broncos. Thigpen wins= 1 Croyle wins= 0. Throw that stat out the window! You might hate Brodie's wimpy a$$ as much as we all do, but stop letting Thigpens days in the spread cloud your vision!

All I was saying is that IF the backup spot is open to competition as much as any other position that Haley proclaimed is....then Thigpen would have a tough time beating out Brodie. The guy has a cannon and is somewhat accurate. WITH THAT SAID, I dont think that the backup postion is open to anybody other than Tyler.

What do you know about QB's anyway, this is what you had to say about Trent Green: "Ya know, I like Trent and I think he did a better than average job while he managed our Offense." This is what you said about his retirement: "Trent is a great guy and all but, no Championships no big deal." you continued by saying "Yea, he was a decent QB but he couldn't do enough to help us win a SB." Even though he led us down the field to score on EVERY SINGLE POSESSION in the Colts playoff game. Every single one! He should have done more though. huh Chris? Marino should have done more too, cause he's just another loser like Trent!

Sorry for pullin out thread quotes from last month, but I've completly discarded anything that you've had to say ever since you made those ridiculously ignorant remarks. But you know what Chris, it's just my opinion! hahahahaha
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 07-15-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    FYI Thigpen only won one game - the Oakland game. Huard won the Denver game.

Thigpen has his good points - he's tough, can scramble, and isn't careless with the football. But he's probably not a NFL starter and he'd have trouble playing in a conventional NFL offense due to height and accuracy issues. He's a perfect backup QB.

Brodie Croyle is like a lot of Herm Edwards picks - every measurable except the ability to stay upright. If the NFL were a flag football league, he'd be a top-10 QB. But it isn't. He's just not worth the roster spot.
    I was actually responding to Chris when you were writing this and I too caught my statistical error. Brodie ruling the flag football league: HILARIOUS!

I like your sig.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast