Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Cassel signs multi-year contract

Default Cassel signs multi-year contract

According to the KC Star, Cassel has signed a multi-year contract.

Chiefs sign Matt Cassel to multi-year contract | Red Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    It looked more like a Moss video than one for Cassel.
    He's making his receivers look good for sure, threadin the needle all day long. There wasn't anything there to show that he doesn't have an NFL quality arm.

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    This shows more than anything that Matt can make the right decision when he is going through his rotation. He doesn't just take the first maybe on the list and when you have a guy that can do that you have a passing attack that will be difficult to stop. I just hope our Oline can give him enough time to see all options.
    Definetely. The O-line will tell the tale in 2009...
    SHUT IT

some1 had 2 throw 2 him, Moss cant throw 2 himself. i like how Cassel throws a 55 yard strike 2 moss at 0:48 and thats not including the YAC. from the 25 to 20.

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    I'll agree that the Patriots as a whole were a better team then the Chiefs last year and are going into this season but thats about it.

I have to disagree with the notion of 'we don't know if he can take the punishment' theory. He did take 50 some odd sacks last season and I have to imagine was knocked down more then a handful of times in 16 regular season games. Now whether that be due to problems of his own (I.E. holding on to the ball to long or what not) or issues with the line is debateable (Bernard Pollard did take Brady out against that 'phenomenal Pats OLine) or a compliment of both of them can be argued either way.

Regardless of the conclusion to that question the fact still remains that Cassel did manage to make it through the entirety (the exception being in the time Tom Brady played) of the 16 game season while suffering more sacks then Thigpen. He did take a beating last season and was still standing at the end.

There is some truth in the statement in that we don't know how well or poorly Cassel will play for the Chiefs.

That's a given.

It takes time for any new player (a QB especially) to adjust to a new scheme but that's the name of the game. The good thing being that this entire team is learning it together but this is about Cassel. As a professional athelete its his job to make that transition. I'm sure there will be a fair share of bumps and bruises during that learning curve but the basic premise/mechanics of the game are still the same from team to team when it comes to his predicament. I believe he has those mechanics down its just the scheme he has to learn.

AS for money....well...

When dealing with a situation as volatile as this you have to choose the lesser of two evils. The Chiefs had several factors weighing against them when dealing with Cassel:

1) The salary cap surplus they have

2) The looming mini camp and unsigned draft choices (Tyson Jackson in particular)

3) The aformentioned above with the inevitable contract extension talks with other QBs (Rivers and Manning)

Contracts of this nature are risky by default. The franchise tag invevitably demands a lot of money in and of itself for a single season and had the looming contract negotiations of high dollar QBs coming up next season (Manning/Rivers) not demanded the attention of the front offices next season it would have been in the best interest of the Chiefs to wait this trial season.

Everyone's heard the same arguements but they still apply.

Do the Chiefs wait and pay Cassel double what he makes now after this season assuming he plays up to expectations and cripple your future cap room because of it?

or

Do the Chiefs sign him now to a reasonable long term deal and work with what they have in cap surplus and continue to look forward to continual building of this team's long term success hoping that he pans out?

Do you risk now or later? Its a tough choice to make.
    I guess I have to trust Pioli, I think he is a smart guy and since he has a history with Cassel, I have to believe he knows what he is getting.

I will of course be there cheering every great play and jeering when he makes a mistake. I hope I do more cheering.

We had a rule last season that the only time we could drink a beer was when the Chief's scored a touchdown. It was a pretty dry year, though we did not spend much money. I am hoping we do not have to change the rule this year.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Cassell Doesn't Need Moss! - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567