Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Cassell Doesn't Need Moss!

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    883
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Cassell Doesn't Need Moss!


    0 Not allowed!
    Cassel Doesn’t Need Moss
    G Newman Lowrance - Getty
    By C.E. Wendler
    Warpaint Illustrated Columnist
    Posted Jul 15, 2009



    There are certain individuals who would have you believe Matt Cassel is a rich man today because he played with Randy Moss last season. The truth is that Cassel has earned a contract worth $63 million based on his own merits, and not because he rode anyone’s coattails.

    While there is certainly fact in the statement that Moss is an elite receiver and has made life easier for a long list of quarterbacks in the past, it is ignorant to say he should be credited as the driving force behind Cassel’s recent success. In fact, it should anger Chiefs fans who have put any faith whatsoever in Cassel or General Manager Scott Pioli.

    Any responsible evaluation of Cassel’s 2008 season would bear out the fact that the quarterback has qualities which clearly enabled him to succeed regardless of who he was throwing to. In every game last season, Cassel demonstrated key traits that are found in almost every franchise quarterback – mobility, accuracy, intelligence and the ability to read defenses.

    But despite these qualities - which quite frankly should be obvious to anyone who paid any lengthy attention to the 2008 New England Patriots - Cassel has suddenly been lumped in with players like Jeff George and Kerry Collins.

    When did George, a hothead with a reputation as a statue in the pocket, ever display intelligence or mobility during his disappointing NFL career? Indeed, veteran Chiefs fans should be all too familiar with George’s inability to escape the rush, having witnessed the torture Derrick Thomas inflicted upon him repeatedly throughout his NFL career.

    When did Collins, a career 55 percent passer with a reputation for turnovers, ever display accuracy or the ability to read defenses at any level approaching the upper echelon? In fact it should be noted that even when he did have the luxury of playing with Moss in 2005, Collins completed only 53.5 percent of his passes, one of the lowest percentages of his career and the 30th ranked mark among starting NFL quarterbacks that season.

    Does it really seem fair to compare Cassel to either player? Hardly.

    As for Pioli, the notion that the quarterback he orchestrated a trade for might somehow suffer without Moss is truly insulting. It implies that the Chiefs’ GM has not done his homework on Cassel, or that somehow he was deceived of his quarterback’s true abilities, that Moss somehow “pulled the wool over his eyes,” so to speak.

    This becomes even more ridiculous when you realize that Pioli shared responsibility in drafting Cassel during 2005 with the Patriots. And for four years, Pioli was in close proximity to Cassel every week, if not almost every day, during his maturation as an NFL player.

    Is it even possible that there is anyone in Kansas City who knows more concerning Matt Cassel’s abilities as an NFL quarterback? Doubtful.

    If we really need evidence that Cassel is capable of succeeding without much contribution from Moss, all one has to do is glance at a few box scores. In six games last season, the receiver had three or fewer catches, yet New England’s record in those games was 4-2. Not only that, but Cassel’s quarterback rating in those six games was a healthy 92.06, with only one interception. Moss caught just two of Cassel’s seven touchdown passes in those six games.

    Then there is the matter of just how efficient Cassel was at hooking up with targets other than Moss – namely Kevin Faulk and Wes Welker, New England’s first and third-leading receivers. Both were among the AFC leaders in catch percentage, with Faulk grabbing 58 of 74 passes thrown his way (third overall) and Welker hauling in 111 of 149 (seventh).

    Curiously, Moss was not even among the top 20. He was, however, among the AFC leaders in passes not caught (56), coming in sixth.

    It would seem that not only was Matt Cassel a more consistent football player a year ago compared to Randy Moss, he found other receivers at a higher rate of success, and the Patriots just happened to win football games along the way. It should also be pointed out that Cassel and Moss connected just twice over 30 yards in 2008, which is in direct contrast to other quarterbacks who relied so heavily upon the receiver for huge plays down the field. And yet the Patriots, fifth in the league in total offense, were no worse for it.

    There’s no denying that Moss has a certain effect on coverages a quarterback might see. But certainly we can conclude that Cassel did not rely upon Moss to a gross extent in order to move the football, nor did he develop tunnel vision on the receiver to the detriment of other open targets. The demonstration of such ability from so young a passer, in just his first year of starting, is clearly another reason Cassel was handpicked by Pioli to lead Kansas City on (and off) the football field.

    Clearly, if anyone is in dire need of Randy Moss, it is not Matt Cassel, but rather those who seek to discredit the Chiefs’ new quarterback and his well-earned contract.

    __________________________________

    I liked this one. Kinda puts the Moss thing to rest, atleast partially. There is no doubt that the coverages will look different when Moss is on the field, whether your throwing to him or not. But, this atleast shows that Cassell wasn't stepping back and looking to Moss every play (i.e. Thigpen to Tony)


    CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    And with DBowe maturing (and hopefully not dropping balls...) he will have a big strong guy to go to still.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    994
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    And with DBowe maturing (and hopefully not dropping balls...) he will have a big strong guy to go to still.
    True and hopefully so but Bowe does not possess the speed of Moss and never has. That is where we need help...Speed and quickness.

    Bowe reminds me mroe of a Keyshawn Johnson which is not a bad thing!!

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Posts
    1,467
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    True and hopefully so but Bowe does not possess the speed of Moss and never has. That is where we need help...Speed and quickness.

    Bowe reminds me mroe of a Keyshawn Johnson which is not a bad thing!!

    I agree with that statement. I think one of the keys to Cassels success here with KC is all about finding that special Wes Welker type receiver IMO. He not only needs Bowe, but he needs that solid number two who can go out and make plays for him.

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Location
    tucson
    Posts
    4,320
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    You have to think that Cassell has been with th Chiefs for several months now working out with these reciever. Yes they wont be 100% on spot yet, but I am sure that timing will be down greatly. I also believe that Bowe has abilities that Moss never had.

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    883
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    To address Dbolan and Vanilla's statements: We do have hope, In the form of Quinten Lawrence. They say Lawrence is even faster than Maurice Leggett, which is blazing. From what I read, he was an absolute stand out during OTA's and I think he gives you the same Wes Welker skill set that you were talking about. I like his chances to play alot also. He's explosive and he was picked by the new regime. Who knows what he'll turn out to be, but he looks alot like Eddie Royal on tape. If he became even half that this year, I would be thrilled.


    CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    883
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    In your opinion do you feel he is fast enough to be a down field threat to help spread the defense so we can throw over the middle or even help open up the running game?
    Yes. Speed wise, he can do anything he wants. At 5'11 or 6'0 (depending on which report you read) It seems far fetched to see him as an exclusive down field guy though. He is more of a space player like Welker or Royal, who can catch a 6 yard pass and turn it into 20. I think Bowe and Bradley would be running the long routes to get this kid open, not the other way around. At any rate, I really like him.

    I'll let you make your own assesment, here ya go: ( Check out 7:34)

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGcuptGHhLc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGcuptGHhLc[/ame]
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 07-22-2009 at 02:43 AM.


    CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    We need more gamers.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sexy Ville
    Posts
    1,383
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    I agree with that statement. I think one of the keys to Cassels success here with KC is all about finding that special Wes Welker type receiver IMO. He not only needs Bowe, but he needs that solid number two who can go out and make plays for him.
    exactly what i was thinking Van Garill. Cassell relied mostly on dumping and dinking and letting the WR/RBs to the work. Kevin Faulk was a big help to him too.

    That eliminates the bomb throw and let Moss go up and get it factor.

    We dont have a Wes Welker. Jamaal Charles is the closest i can think of. We get him the ball in open field then he can make things happen.

    However to were Jamaal has more speed, Welker has more agility.

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    994
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    To address Dbolan and Vanilla's statements: We do have hope, In the form of Quinten Lawrence. They say Lawrence is even faster than Maurice Leggett, which is blazing. From what I read, he was an absolute stand out during OTA's and I think he gives you the same Wes Welker skill set that you were talking about. I like his chances to play alot also. He's explosive and he was picked by the new regime. Who knows what he'll turn out to be, but he looks alot like Eddie Royal on tape. If he became even half that this year, I would be thrilled.
    BDT,

    Unfortunately I have not seen this kid and cannot view the vid here but will later at home. If he is what you say he is, then I will be totally stoked!

    KCC...All of us know how important the O-Line is but let's not forget that Cassel took 50+(?) sacks last year which was more than our QB's so it does go to show that having WR's that can create space, whether it be a screen, a slant, post, fly, an out, etc. makes a huge difference in being able to deliver the ball.

    I totally agree with the need for an improved line and I have a hunch it will be much better this year but I still have to stick with my history of posts (opinions) on this matter and say that a good WR CORP will help our line as much as our line can help the passing game.

    Anyways...I truly think we are on the right track for one simple reason...I do believe our coaching staff and GM know what they are doing and the bar has been set to a much higher standard. To me, that is adequate reassurance and look forward to seeing it materialize!!

    GO CHIEFS!
    Last edited by dbolan; 07-22-2009 at 08:47 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. QB Controversy - Cassell or Thigpen
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 03-08-2009, 02:59 PM
  2. Matt Cassell to the Chiefs?
    By tenacious in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 02:18 PM
  3. Moss re-signs
    By chief31 in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 07:48 PM
  4. Did Randy Moss hit that woman?
    By hermhater in forum The Locker Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 03:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •