Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LJ now happy to be in KC

Default LJ now happy to be in KC

New Chiefs regime has Larry Johnson happy to stay in Kansas City - ESPN

Larry Johnson will head to Rivers Falls, Wisc., on Thursday for the start of training camp for the Kansas City Chiefs.

And he's thrilled about it. Six months ago, that seemed impossible. Johnson's departure from Kansas City seemed inevitable after a rough 2008 season that was his sixth in a productive but rocky career in Kansas City.
    Johnson requested a trade on numerous occasions in the past year.

Now, however, the standout running back wants to be in Kansas City. In his first comments about his change of heart, Johnson told ESPN.com that his rebirth in Kansas City is due to the arrival of general manager Scott Pioli, head coach Todd Haley and assistant head coach Maurice Carthon.

"I want to be here because of Scott Pioli's commitment to winning," Johnson said. "He has a no-nonsense approach and coach Haley's offensive system fits me. My decision to want to stay here is really based on what those guys are doing here."

Johnson was indirectly critical of the previous Kansas City regime. General manager Carl Peterson and coach Herm Edwards were not brought back after the Chiefs went 2-14 last season.

"These guys are going to put the players on the field who can best help the team. They are not going to worry about four or five years down the road," Johnson said. "There is a new excitement in Kansas City. I believe in these guys and what they are going to do to make the Chiefs a winner."

Johnson acknowledged that he had to work to gain the trust of the new Kansas City leadership. He said he had to shed his perception of being a "locker room cancer." He said he did so by "working my butt of and shutting my mouth."

Johnson attended the team's offseason workout program and tried to impress his coaches with his work ethic. He said he bonded with Carthon, who will oversee the team's running backs, as well as Haley.

"I think I fit their power running offense and I think I can be a workhorse in this system," Johnson said. "I'm very excited about the opportunity here."

Johnson, who'll turn 30 in November, was suspended a total of four games in 2008 by the Chiefs and the league after being arrested twice for incidents involving women in nightclubs. In March, he pled guilty to the two 2008 incidents and was sentenced to two years probation.
    He had 874 yards on 193 carries (a 4.5 yard per carry average) in 2008. He believes he can become the 400-carry-a-season player he was in 2006 when he set an NFL record with 416 carries.

"The team is committed to running the ball and I think I'll be a big part of it," Johnson said. "I'm really happy to be part of it."

Bill Williamson covers the AFC West for ESPN.com.

since he's happy now wonder if he'll play better (tho our line did suck)

I hope he minds his p's and q's
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    I hope he minds his p's and q's
    Man, me too.

I want to see what LJ's new found attitude will be after he starts losing playing time for missing blocks. IMO he better mind his P's and Q's because the NEW CHIEFS are not going to tolerate off the field issues. They have already cut a TE who got busted for MJ in FL during the off season.

I want to see what LJ's new found attitude will be after he starts losing playing time for missing blocks. IMO he better mind his P's and Q's because the NEW CHIEFS are not going to tolerate off the field issues. They have already cut a TE who got busted for MJ in FL during the off season.

Haley refused to name a starting RB, which doesn't bode well for moneybags and his need for 30 carries a game. I can picture Haley falling in love with Charles and his benefits over LJ in the passing game. He's already mentioned that he has high hopes for him in particular.

Odds that our RB split looks more like our version of Chris Johnson/LenDale White this year? I can see it happening.
    Last edited by yashi; 08-02-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalT View Post
    If that happens I think we'll all be thanking our new offensive line. I understand what you're saying I'm just not convinced he's our best running back. We had a pretty good line when he last had a good season.
    Some people forget that with our poor offensive line last year, he averaged 4.5 yards per carry. With a little improvement in our interior (which I think Goff will give us) I think he will have over 1200 yards this season ... probably close to 1500.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Some people forget that with our poor offensive line last year, he averaged 4.5 yards per carry. With a little improvement in our interior (which I think Goff will give us) I think he will have over 1200 yards this season ... probably close to 1500.
    If LJ stays injury-free, he will have a good year. The team as a whole will have a good year just due to the regime change. Its a whole new team attitude. And a GM/coach that know how to put players in positions to succeed.
    SHUT IT

I really hope your right! I am looking forward to this season.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post

I agree.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123