Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LJ now happy to be in KC

Default LJ now happy to be in KC

New Chiefs regime has Larry Johnson happy to stay in Kansas City - ESPN

Larry Johnson will head to Rivers Falls, Wisc., on Thursday for the start of training camp for the Kansas City Chiefs.

And he's thrilled about it. Six months ago, that seemed impossible. Johnson's departure from Kansas City seemed inevitable after a rough 2008 season that was his sixth in a productive but rocky career in Kansas City.
    Johnson requested a trade on numerous occasions in the past year.

Now, however, the standout running back wants to be in Kansas City. In his first comments about his change of heart, Johnson told ESPN.com that his rebirth in Kansas City is due to the arrival of general manager Scott Pioli, head coach Todd Haley and assistant head coach Maurice Carthon.

"I want to be here because of Scott Pioli's commitment to winning," Johnson said. "He has a no-nonsense approach and coach Haley's offensive system fits me. My decision to want to stay here is really based on what those guys are doing here."

Johnson was indirectly critical of the previous Kansas City regime. General manager Carl Peterson and coach Herm Edwards were not brought back after the Chiefs went 2-14 last season.

"These guys are going to put the players on the field who can best help the team. They are not going to worry about four or five years down the road," Johnson said. "There is a new excitement in Kansas City. I believe in these guys and what they are going to do to make the Chiefs a winner."

Johnson acknowledged that he had to work to gain the trust of the new Kansas City leadership. He said he had to shed his perception of being a "locker room cancer." He said he did so by "working my butt of and shutting my mouth."

Johnson attended the team's offseason workout program and tried to impress his coaches with his work ethic. He said he bonded with Carthon, who will oversee the team's running backs, as well as Haley.

"I think I fit their power running offense and I think I can be a workhorse in this system," Johnson said. "I'm very excited about the opportunity here."

Johnson, who'll turn 30 in November, was suspended a total of four games in 2008 by the Chiefs and the league after being arrested twice for incidents involving women in nightclubs. In March, he pled guilty to the two 2008 incidents and was sentenced to two years probation.
    He had 874 yards on 193 carries (a 4.5 yard per carry average) in 2008. He believes he can become the 400-carry-a-season player he was in 2006 when he set an NFL record with 416 carries.

"The team is committed to running the ball and I think I'll be a big part of it," Johnson said. "I'm really happy to be part of it."

Bill Williamson covers the AFC West for ESPN.com.

since he's happy now wonder if he'll play better (tho our line did suck)

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    He hasn't changed as a person he has just changed his attitude about being on the Chiefs due the regime changes made by Mr Hunt. I think it was very evident that nobody was happy in KC with the losing and basically that will change with the men who brought the losing repetivness to the team over the last 3 years. LJ is still the same yardage eating beast we know and loved before that butt sucker Edwards came to town. I think he will have a totally differant attitude when we start to win again which will be this year.

...Sure hope you're right.

Don't forget brother, I BELIEVE!
    I believe that you believe!

Quote Originally Posted by Church_Backfield View Post
    At any rate im glad he wants to be a part of the team BUT i think mostly he realizes he wasted a year or 2 and that runningbacks have a short lifespan
    You mean Herm and CP wasted 2 of his years. Horrible line and playcalling. Alot of LJ's problem was losing. He's one of those guys that doesnt do well with it. Alot of the stuff that he would say after games, I totally agree with. People who have been on this site for a while probably know my stance on LJ, his running style etc. I dont really want to get into all that again. Anyway, Go LJ!

As far as spitting in womans faces, although hilarious, I dont agree with it......

That was a joke, atleast the hilarious part.
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 07-31-2009 at 12:29 AM.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    Like I said before, NO he isn't. He is just saying that. He wants out, he knows he will not have anywhere to go.
    I dont think he wants out because no one really wants him and he realizes hes got it good here.

Personally i dont care if he is a saint or not. Just as long as it doesnt cost him anymore time off the field and is productive.

There is just one thing that boggles me tho about what LJ said:

"I want to be here because of Scott Pioli's commitment to winning," Johnson said. "He has a no-nonsense approach and coach Haley's offensive system fits me. My decision to want to stay here is really based on what those guys are doing here."

um, why dont you ask Edgerin James (who is a powerback just like you LJ) if Haleys system fit him.

Of course, thats not to say it will be the same. Depending on the OC and who has the ultimate say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sn@keIze View Post
    I dont think he wants out because no one really wants him and he realizes hes got it good here.

Personally i dont care if he is a saint or not. Just as long as it doesnt cost him anymore time off the field and is productive.

There is just one thing that boggles me tho about what LJ said:

um, why dont you ask Edgerin James (who is a powerback just like you LJ) if Haleys system fit him.

Of course, thats not to say it will be the same. Depending on the OC and who has the ultimate say.
    yeah, and James can actually pass block.

It should be an interesting season.

I've seen LJ quit blocking on too many passing plays. Regardless of his attitude I hope Smith or Charles emerge as the starter ... not that I think that's gonna happen right away.

Johnson is only a blown block away from being his old self. However, I do believe that Squirmin Herman and King Carl were bigger problems than LJ ever was. I am sure some of that rubbed off on LJ. The problem I had with LJ is that he knew how this group was when he signed his big contract, so he has to suck it up and perform.

I still believe the whole foot injury problem was fabricated and he did not want to come in and take the pounding he would have taken had he played.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

I was always under the impression that LJ and Herm were always on good terms with one another, but that's just me; I've been wrong plenty of times before.

Quote Originally Posted by Church_Backfield View Post
    Lj Is A Bum!!
    A bum who is faster, leaner and healthy. I'd rather have him running for me than against me.

Thanks Aussie!

If he slams out 1800 yards this next season what then? As a Chiefs fan the team comes first and he is a talent we can't replace at the moment.
    If that happens I think we'll all be thanking our new offensive line. I understand what you're saying I'm just not convinced he's our best running back. We had a pretty good line when he last had a good season.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast