Thread: Training Camp, 8/3

Default Training Camp, 8/3

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-footb...date-83-am.htm

- Haley and his staff continue to be tough on those players making mental mistakes. When LT Branden Albert jumped on the first play of a drill, he was sent for a 200-yard run and replaced for the rest of that drill by Barry Richardson.

- K Ryan Succop was three for four on his FG attempts. His first try hit the left upright from 35 yards. He then made kicks of 30, 42 and 44 yards. The long snapper for all four kicks was Tanner Purdum.

- With Cottam and Curtis out, and rookie Jake O’Connell still on the PUP List and working with the rehab team, that left just two tight ends available: Sean Ryan and rookie Tom Crabtree. FB Jed Collins moved to tight end for part of the practice to work with the group.

- Ryan got most of the snaps with the No. 1 offense and took advantage of his opportunities. He made a very nice catch over his head and down the field when QB Matt Cassel was flushed from the pocket and throwing on the run.

- The list of those not practicing: O’Connell, Cottam, Curtis, G Edwin Harrison (right leg), ILB Derrick Johnson (right hamstring), DE Glenn Dorsey (left shin), RB Kolby Smith (right knee) and LB Demorrio Williams (?).

- In one of the running drills, OLB Tamba Hali came off the edge and his collision with pulling RG Mike Goff could be heard all t hew ay to the Twin Cities. Goff ended up on the ground.

- In the pass rush-protection drill, rookie LB Jovan Belcher went head-to-head with McIntosh and took two of the three snaps. On the third, he ran McIntosh over with a bull rush, with the veteran tackle landing on his behind. Impressive power from Belcher.

- In the one-on-one pass protection-rush, NT Tank Tyler and LB Brian Waters had a great battle for three snaps; neither one had the advantage … rookie DE Alex Magee had several nice rushes against Wade Smith, Darryl Harris and Goldberg; Magee beat Smith with the same move he beat him with in yesterday’s practice and he got Goldberg on a nice spin move … at RT Herb Taylor had a nice series against DE Wallace Gilberry, taking two of the three snaps and working the third to a draw … Hali ran around Richardson at one point, but the tackle came back to put in two nice snaps against the outside linebacker.

- Working as kickoff returners during the session were six players: Rodney Wright, Maurice Leggett, Taurus Johnson, Jackie Bates, Londen Fryar and Ricky Price.

- In his part of the team work, Cassel was six-for-six in throwing, including hitting that nice throw on the run to Ryan. Brodie Croyle got the snaps with the second-unit offense and hit two of three throws. The only incompletion was a pass to WR Rodney Wright that was broken up on a nice play by FS Jon McGraw. Tyler Thigpen was two for two on his three plays.

- Haley had the offense work two series of plays where they began 1st and 10 at their own 1-yard line. On the first play, Cassel went deep to WR Dwayne Bowe, but CB Brandon Flowers had nice coverage and broke up the play. When Croyle got his chance, he was able to move the offense out of the hole and got a first down.

Good stuff. Especially glad to hear Hali actually did something positive as an OLB.

From what I'm hearing Hali is doing better in coverage and he and Vrabel are both doing alright rushing the passer. Not all of it against the first team OL, but it is incouraging.

Quinten Lawerence not kick returning? My guess is Tarus Johnson wins the kick return job. Interesting that Brodie Croyle is our 2nd stringer, over Thigpen. I would hate to be Thigpen right now. Damion SackIntosh gets trucked by a UDFA? Great.
    Last edited by chiefan; 08-03-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: I don't know, can you please tell me.

Sackintosh got plowed by a rookie free agent, awsome. Or maybe not so awsome.

I think they want to see what Brodie Croyle can do so they split Thigpens reps with him. Like I posted a couple weeks ago, If Brodie gets an even shot with Thigpen, he could win the backup role. On the flipside I heard that Brodie was struggling quite a bit the first day, so who knows.

Tank standing up Brian Waters is awsome, thats exactly the stalwort that we need in the middle. Interstingly, if Tank was working against Brian (LG) that means that he was playing the gap, similar to Dallas' version of the 3-4, instread of over the center like most NT's play. That gives a player Tanks size a much better chance.

Last but not least, Magee has been nothing less than a beast since OTA's. We might have a pass rusher guys!

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    Sackintosh got plowed by a rookie free agent, awsome. Or maybe not so awsome.

I think they want to see what Brodie Croyle can do so they split Thigpens reps with him. Like I posted a couple weeks ago, If Brodie gets an even shot with Thigpen, he could win the backup role. On the flipside I heard that Brodie was struggling quite a bit the first day, so who knows.

Tank standing up Brian Waters is awsome, thats exactly the stalwort that we need in the middle. Interstingly, if Tank was working against Brian (LG) that means that he was playing the gap, similar to Dallas' version of the 3-4, instread of over the center like most NT's play. That gives a player Tanks size a much better chance.

Last but not least, Magee has been nothing less than a beast since OTA's. We might have a pass rusher guys!
    Yeah, I'm dying to see Magee on the field. Although I think Jackson will be great, I think we'll look back on the 2009 draft and see we got a steal in Magee.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Yeah, I'm dying to see Magee on the field. Although I think Jackson will be great, I think we'll look back on the 2009 draft and see we got a steal in Magee.
    I wanted the Chiefs to take Jarron Gilbert with that pick. Instead they passed on Gilbert and took Magee. I guess time will tell. I hope I was dead wrong.