Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ingle Martin cut, Matt Gutierrez signed from Patriots

Default Ingle Martin cut, Matt Gutierrez signed from Patriots

Bob Gretz reported last night that Ingle Martin was cut. Many believed that he was cut in order to make room for Tyson Jackson (wishful thinking.) Scout.com has just reported that the cut was to make room for Matt Gutierrez, the backup QB from New England. Martin was our #4 QB so what does that make Matt Gutierrez now? You know Pioli must like him and knows alot about him. My guess is that Brodie is out of here. After all, we still have Tyson to sign and probably 2 more free agents before we hit the magic salary number, so There will be more cuts.
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 08-05-2009 at 09:50 PM.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Thigpen goes anywhere near the practice squad, he's going to get picked up asap

Martin gone... one less reliever in the bullpen

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    Practice squad isn't waivers. You can't pick up guys from other teams' practice squads.

i thought you could sign a player off of anyother teams practice squad. Aint that how we got Thigpen.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    i thought you could sign a player off of anyother teams practice squad. Aint that how we got Thigpen.
    Signing Practice Squad Players
    # Under the current NFL Practice Squad Rules, any player who is under contract on a scout team is free to sign a player contract with any team in the league, without compensation to the franchise whose practice squad he is a member of. However, the signing must be completed at least six days before the signing team's next game (10 days in the case of a bye week). after all teams have set their 53-man rosters prior to opening day and each team has passed 24-hours on acquiring the contracts of every other player waived by the other 31 NFL teams, each team may sign up to 8 players to occupy its developmental Practice Squad. These players practice with their teams but cannot dress on game days.

Further, any other team may claim a team's PS player on waivers at any given time during the season -- the only stipulation to this is that the team signing the PS player must immediately add that player to its 53-man roster.

A player is elibible for the PS if he:

* Has no prior Accrued Seasons in the NFL
    * has one prior Accrued Season in which he was on the 45-man active roster for no more than 8 games
    * Has been on the PS with the particular team no more than 2 prior seasons

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    We're richer for having lost him. And for gaining Gutierrez. Thigpen is going to the practice squad maybe?
    you're kidding right!!! About thigpen that is
    Last edited by pbatrucker; 08-06-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    Vikings would get him back...
    The next game is the most important one of the season !!

Pioli loves him some Patriot scraps.

I'd be shocked if Gutierrez somehow passes Thigpen on the depth chart. He's done nothing in the NFL, and wasn't drafted. And apparently Andrew Walter is better. I'm glad we have him instead of Ingle Martin though.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    I can't believe I never learned that before! Thanks for the heads up.

I now agree entirely that Thigpen shjould not be practice squad, and that it's a better place for Gutierrez.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    He is just too damn scared of getting hit and he can't handle it.
    Never underestimate the ignorance of football fans. He's too scared of getting hit? I guess when a QB has the guts to stand in the pocket and deliver a pass when he knows he's about to get blown up constitutes fear in your opinion. A guy that's gone through serious injuries in college and pros and is willing to go through the surgeries and rehab to get back on the field is obviously consumed with fear.

Brodie may not be a good QB, but to call the kid scared of getting hit is absolutely ridiculous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast