Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ***Official Chiefs Crowd Reaction to the first Preseason Game Thread***

Default ***Official Chiefs Crowd Reaction to the first Preseason Game Thread***

Well we looked pretty much like we did all of last year. Good thing it was only preseason. We were running a base defense so the jury is still out on that. I still don't read too much into the loss because it is only preseason.

Thoughts?

There were a few bright spots and a few weak spots in this game. Next weeks game at Minnesota will tell us a lot more about our team in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
    There were a few bright spots and a few weak spots in this game. Next weeks game at Minnesota will tell us a lot more about our team in my opinion.

It'll be nice to see a Cassel to Bowe hookup.

Here's a little of what I saw:

Cassel was 2/5, true. 2 of them were drops, Ryan missed a routine catch and Copper was being hit but honestly should have caught it. The only real incompletion was thrown high, but it was still potentially catchable. Pass protection and weather didn't do him any favors, but his throws were for the most part right on the money. I.E. - his first completion for 12 or so he threw away from the DB, anywhere else and it would have been knocked way. His incompletion to Ryan was right at the sideline, thrown into his stride, almost perfect throw. Sure he fumbled a snap, but that's nothing to be worried about, it's a simple mistake, it happens. I can't wait until he's throwing with his first team wideouts and not a couple guys that might not make the roster. The running game looked pretty solid, I really liked what I saw from LJ and Battle.

Defense had a bunch of positives. We were pressuring the quarterback on most plays. The D was burned a couple times on a couple cut back runs, but for the most part I liked what I saw from both ends in the run and pass game. Hali definately looked like a linebacker today as far as size and build go, he was getting some nice pressure too. I like how Pendergast is using the Safeties in his Blitz schemes, Page was making some hits! What it came down to for me; the front 7 overperformed from what I expected, when we gave up some longer passes the QB was probably out of the pocket and he found a receiver in the middle of the field where Pollard was hurt and we were using backup guys in place of Thomas (Mays, Stude and Belcher all looked good at LB from time to time).

Special teams was impressive, aside from the lack of a return game. I don't even have to mention Succop, but Colquitt looked faithful as always, even his shank wasn't absolutely awful.

A few things I want to see against the Vikes are Hali in coverage, more pressure and improvement from the front 3, Cassel working with Bowe, Toomer and Engram and a little more of Charles, maybe in a Reggie Bush type role. I'm not going to get down on 7 if he doesn't perform to his best against the Vikes, that line is pretty scary, but playing against their DLine can only make our Oline better.

Thanks Aussie!

All I have for thoughts. We may have a kicker!

I was really disappointed with the OL. There were times when they were in a zone blocking scheme and had no idea what each other was doing.
    Jackson and Dorsey played well at DE. NT play was inconsistant. Studebaker, Mays and Belcher played well at LB. Hali is getting pressure on the QB, but seems to be one step short all the time,
    Croyle looked good because Bowe came to play. Tyler was running for his life and made some plays. Cassell will be fine with first team WR's. That is if the OL gets better.
    Not much on the return game, but overall the special teams have improved.
    Like someone said. Didn't see much of LJ. Battle is running Hard. With the exception of the fumble, Savage played well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    Here's a little of what I saw:

Cassel was 2/5, true. 2 of them were drops, Ryan missed a routine catch and Copper was being hit but honestly should have caught it. The only real incompletion was thrown high, but it was still potentially catchable. Pass protection and weather didn't do him any favors, but his throws were for the most part right on the money. I.E. - his first completion for 12 or so he threw away from the DB, anywhere else and it would have been knocked way. His incompletion to Ryan was right at the sideline, thrown into his stride, almost perfect throw. Sure he fumbled a snap, but that's nothing to be worried about, it's a simple mistake, it happens. I can't wait until he's throwing with his first team wideouts and not a couple guys that might not make the roster. The running game looked pretty solid, I really liked what I saw from LJ and Battle.

Defense had a bunch of positives. We were pressuring the quarterback on most plays. The D was burned a couple times on a couple cut back runs, but for the most part I liked what I saw from both ends in the run and pass game. Hali definately looked like a linebacker today as far as size and build go, he was getting some nice pressure too. I like how Pendergast is using the Safeties in his Blitz schemes, Page was making some hits! What it came down to for me; the front 7 overperformed from what I expected, when we gave up some longer passes the QB was probably out of the pocket and he found a receiver in the middle of the field where Pollard was hurt and we were using backup guys in place of Thomas (Mays, Stude and Belcher all looked good at LB from time to time).

Special teams was impressive, aside from the lack of a return game. I don't even have to mention Succop, but Colquitt looked faithful as always, even his shank wasn't absolutely awful.

A few things I want to see against the Vikes are Hali in coverage, more pressure and improvement from the front 3, Cassel working with Bowe, Toomer and Engram and a little more of Charles, maybe in a Reggie Bush type role. I'm not going to get down on 7 if he doesn't perform to his best against the Vikes, that line is pretty scary, but playing against their DLine can only make our Oline better.

Nicely put!

i see that the chiefs and panthers need to get on the phone and work a trade for dorsey..

Quote Originally Posted by PawnshopMarimba View Post
    Again, he was two of five with at least one drop that I can remember, and with wide outs that won't be starting this season.

Chill. You're WAY too eager to jump on Matt's case.
    Yeah Church im not sure how this can be qualified as sucking it up. He only got to throw 5 times, and if the receivers would have held on to the ball, he would have been 4/5.

4 of the 4 throws were very sharp, precise, and right on target.

Thoughts from the first half...

I was mostly focused on the defense, because I think the offense will be fine.

The play where Leggett sacked Schaub was AWESOME. 1 down lineman (Magee), rushed 6, and the OL had absolutely no idea what to do as 2 guys were immediately in the backfield and Leggett went through untouched. We haven't seen a blitz like that in years, and we got to see it on the very first drive. Awesome.

The first team run defense was excellent, aside from a couple runs by Chris Brown late in the drive. On pass plays the guys up around the line looked hungry. Pass coverage wasn't great aside from Flowers, who did well and made some plays.

Dorsey played surprisingly well all around.

Cory Mays has really long hair.

I was really impressed with LJ. The run blocking wasn't great and he was working for a couple extra yards on every play.

On the end around to Kevin Walter, Hali made a very nice tackle in the open field that saved an extra 10 yards (at least). He definitely looks slim and quick, and explosive in pass rushing. He got a little anxious on one 3rd and long and drew a neutral zone infraction though.

I already strongly dislike Wright and Lawrence. Can we get a real return guy please? These guys struggle to catch a punt without falling over. I wonder why Savage isn't returning kicks.

Jackie Battle looks really impressive and I see why Haley seems to like him a lot. I could see him at a minimum being a very good short yardage guy for us down the road.

At one point I saw some white guy wearing Jared Allen's old 69 playing NT on 1st down. I looked him up and he's some 6'6" 265 lb guy listed as a tackle? Not sure what that was about, but he was taken out the next play.

We were able to get to the QB with just 4 guys rushing the passer at one point on 3rd and long (Hali, Jackson, Magee, Studebaker). I don't remember seeing that last year. Studebaker actually looks really good in a situational pass rushing role.

I LOVE the safety blitzes. Neither Page nor Pollard are particularly good coverage safeties, but I think both guys can excel if they're thrown in around the line of scrimmage sometimes. Both made a lot of plays when they were around the line last night.

McGraw is still a special teams stud and I'm really glad we kept him.

Our defensive line gets shuffled around a lot depending on the situation, with Jackson sometimes playing inside and such. Same with the OLBs, I saw Hali playing both left and right. Hopefully this keeps offenses on their toes.

Bowe is incredible and made Croyle look good. Croyle made some really bad throws at times, throwing behind receivers and the play where Bowe had to dive for a ball when he was standing still. Croyle did make some pretty nice throws too though.
    Last edited by yashi; 08-16-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Church_Backfield View Post
    In the end he was still 2/5 and lost a fumble so drops or not he still didnt look sharp
    All of his throws touched his receivers hands and that was a fluke fumble if I've ever seen one, so I don't know what you want from him.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast