Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sharing pics of my trip to Canton for DT's Induction...

Default Sharing pics of my trip to Canton for DT's Induction...

Prior to sharing my pics, I'd like to share first a bit of a personal story. I've been a Chiefs fan since I was a kid, my dad becoming a fan in '63 when they moved to KC...I was raised with Red & Gold blood, haha.

As with many Chiefs fans, DT became my all time favorite Chief...not only as a result of his obvious talent as an athelete, but for who he was as a human being...his huge heart & compassion towards helping others.

I can honestly state, that although I didn't know DT personally, I felt much love for him as a Chief on field, & for the person he was off field. I never visited DT's modest home in suburban KC, but he visited mine weekly. I knew him, though he didn't know me.

When DT tragically lost his life, at some point amidst my tears, shock, & sadness...it occurred to me that someday DT would be inducted into the NFL HOF. I considered the thought of DT's future Induction, from that point forward as being his final big play in the NFL. I made myself a promise, that come hell or high water I would be there personally to witness DT's Induction Ceremony. I saw my presence there being my way of honoring and thanking DT for all he gave from his body, heart & soul as a Chief to his team and fans, as well as his contributions to the Kansas City community.

I miss Derrick, and to this day still find myself at times looking for the #58 on the field of play. Derrick is on God's Pro-Bowl team now, and no doubt is smiling down upon Arrowhead each & every game day. :)

This is DT's eldest son & Carl Peterson on stage with the un-veiling of DT's Bronze Bust...

I intended to get a tattoo of DT prior to his death, never got around to it...as those tasks sometimes go. After his death I continued to say I was gonna get one, and finally this year in honor of DT's induction I followed through!

This pic was taken on the day the artist did it, so it's still red & a bit sore, haha. The camera angle makes it appear lopsided, the RIP crooked, but it's not. Also, the ink residue still shows some, like red spots inside the yellow, but that's all wore off now in time.

Okay, another, haha...their camera lighting wasn't the greatest, but still a fun pic. This is me & my friend Cindy inside the HOF doing their souvenir pic, haha.

LUCKY!! thats pretty cool

Lastly...on our way home from Canton, my friend Cindy received a text telling her our names were mentioned in the KC Star. Apparently a man who approached our group & was talking to us, was a reporter for the Star. We thought it was pretty cool that our memorable weekend honoring DT ended with us being mentioned in the Star...considering the hundreds of Chiefs fans in attendance. The article was front page, but continued on a back page. I was more honored he mentioned my 'giant red truck' than mentioning me, haha. I love my "Chiefs truck!" Below is the part mentioning us, which I felt was nicely written with a bit of nostaligic spirit. :)

There’s a hospital near the Hall of Fame in Canton — Mercy Medical Center — and on Saturday afternoon there were a bunch of Chiefs fans wearing Derrick Thomas jerseys and sitting on lawn chairs in front of a giant red truck with the Chiefs logo on the side. They were grilling, of course. Two of them — Tanja and Zan McCurry — were from Bend, Ore. Two more — Connie Emery and Cindy Kloepper — were from Kansas. There was a family of Simpsons — Kelly, Brett and Chad — and they were from Wisconsin and Ohio. And, finally, a man from Kansas City dressed up as a superhero called X-Factor, and his father, Daddy X-Factor, sat on the curb. They knew each other through various coincidences and connections. Yes, Derrick Thomas brought them together.
    "Even though he’s gone," Kelly Simpson said, "we had to come."
    The others nodded and ate and offered food to security guards and others who were passing by. That’s what Kansas City Chiefs fans do. They offer food. A slow but persistent rain fell from under a dark gray sky. The Chiefs fans talked about the sacks Derrick Thomas made just when the team needed it most. The smoke drifting off the grill smelled like 1997.

Yeah, it was pretty cool, the entire weekend is definitely a highlight of my life! It was very emotional hearing Carl's speech...he did an excellent and honorable job representing the Thomas family, all of whom were present. Marty & Gunther were there too, and their tears just as flowing as mine were.

Thank you so much for sharing your pics and your experience there in Canton Connie...That should have been your username: "Canton Connie"!

LOL @ 'Canton Connie'...not a bad idea! Friends & family nicknamed me 'Redzone CJ' a long time ago...which explains the 'Redzone' tag on my truck. They limit to 7 letters, so couldn't add the CJ.

A few yrs ago I joined a couple other Chiefs websites, posted briefly...can't remember the names off hand, went by RedzoneCJ there. People didn't reply back much, so lost interest I suppose. Around Super Bowl this year I decided for some reason to give Chiefs website participation another try...found this website then.

Y'all are much friendlier here, haha. THANKS! :)

Thanks for sharing with us.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Thank you! It was my honor to share. Doesn't do much good to share pics with those who aren't Chiefs fans & wouldn't 'get it' so to speak. It's nice knowing I could share here, the experience being appreciated.

I remember posting to you when I was here before, asking if you were a real tornado spotter. Your user name is memorable because I'm a 'wannabe', but 'never will be', tornado spotter, haha. I've had a fascination with tornado's since witnessing as a kid, the June 8th, 1966 F-5 that hit Topeka, KS, my native hometown.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast